Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Kushner Academy

rikki 1

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 9:05 am
My high functioning son (12 years old) with Asperger's isn't doing well in typical Lakewood school. We already tried ABA therapy which didn't help much.

I did research into a new school for him and the name Kushner Academy in Livingston, NJ came up.

Anyone have experience with this school as a place that works good with Asperger's?

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 9:40 am
No experience with Asperger's, but a close relative of mine is there with Down's, and what they have done with her is close to miraculous!

rikki 1

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 9:42 am
Can you ask your relative if I can contact them? I have no idea what the school is like in general, how funding works, etc.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 10:43 am
rikki 1 wrote:
Can you ask your relative if I can contact them? I have no idea what the school is like in general, how funding works, etc.

My relative lives in NYC and spent hours fighting the DOE, with the involvement of lawyers, to get government approval to subsidize a large percentage of the cost. Coming from Lakewood, I don't think that will be an option for you.

rikki 1

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 10:45 am
Why wouldnt it be easier to get him approved for a school in the same state??

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 11:05 am
The program at Kushner that you're talking about is Sinai. They rent space from Kushner so you apply through Sinai not Kushner. Tuition is a fortune, about $50,000/year but you can sue in NJ also to get your tuition covered but it's not an easy process.
https://www.sinaischools.org/about-us

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
The program at Kushner that you're talking about is Sinai. They rent space from Kushner so you apply through Sinai not Kushner. Tuition is a fortune, about $50,000/year but you can sue in NJ also to get your tuition covered but it's not an easy process.
https://www.sinaischools.org/about-us

I wish it was only $50,000.

Sinai helps you sue. At this point, I believe everyone who goes in does it. There is a specific lawyer who handles it all, and sometimes it is harder and sometimes easier.

Aspergers is tough. Go look at the program and ask your questions. If they think it may be appropriate, you come back and bring your kid. They will have him visit a couple times to see. FYI, Kushner and the Sinai program in it are coed. But there are numerous students in Sinai coming from places like Lakewood and they make it work for them.

Google "Sinai Schools for Special Needs" and give them a call.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 12:13 pm
May I ask what tuition is, if it's NOT $50K?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
May I ask what tuition is, if it's NOT $50K?

It changes, and is different for different programs too (lower school, high school). It has to cover therapists, class sizes of 2-5, and teachers with specialized degrees.

What is important is that the school will help you get coverage for the non-limudei kodesh portion, which is the majority when you include all the services. There is still a decent amount left, and for that, there is financial aid as needed.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:59 am
I know that it's not important at the end of the day, but are there any chassidish or heimishe families in Brooklyn who send kids there? We're talking about a high-functioning ASD 7 year old.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)