Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Foods that don't need a hechsher
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:24 pm
simba wrote:
Grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as well?

Why would grape or cherry tomatoes need a hecksher? They're natural, unprocessed fruits.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Why would grape or cherry tomatoes need a hecksher? They're natural, unprocessed fruits.

I think she was being funny...

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:27 pm
I was told by my rav that baking soda and flour don't need a hechsher.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:28 pm
Pure dried spices also don't require a hecksher:

http://www.crcweb.org/spice_list.php

But here's the thing. I'd love to use Penzey's spices. I hear they're great. But look at the people here who are shocked that anything other than fruit/vegetables don't need a hecksher ... and even surprised at that. I'm convinced someone will see Penzey's basil in my kitchen, and no one will ever eat at my place again.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:33 pm
Spices are processed, so they need some sort of hechsher.

simba

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:38 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I think she was being funny...

Or at least trying to be funny!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:41 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

cRc says they don't. But ... here's my proof of what I said!

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:11 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I don't know anyone who looks for an OU on their water!

In the case of traveling, if you don't read the language of the country, you need to know if there are brands that have additives.

Ok, so now you know me (or at least my SN). I used to look for it, as so many water bottles DO have an o-u, I just didn't know.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:26 pm
Eggs and water are bought stam even by charedi rabbanim's wives. Urgh. Hechshered water? You better never live out of town, and out of America. What a life to make for oneself...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:26 pm
simba wrote:
Grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as well?

The kollel restaurant buys at a stam grocer...

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:38 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

I agree. No one in my circles will eat processed spices without a heschsher. I will use whole spices and grind them myself: I frequently am questioned about buying them without a hechsher.

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:40 pm
I was told certified French bread (bread made in France) doesn't need a hechsher. It seems certified bread doesn't contain lard, but it can contain milk. Perhaps, someone can clear this up.

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:42 pm
Pure honey (unflavored)

nylon

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:29 pm
In france, by law, a plain baguette may NOT contain milk: only flour, water, salt, and yeast (and you may add Vitamin C which helps the dough). Many rabbis rule that you can eat a plain baguette form any bakery though you have to ask if they grease the molds. If they don't, then it's okay (but obviously, not pat yisrael).

I was always told that flour does not need a hechsher and nor do whole spices but I have seen disagreement on whether you can buy pure ground ones.

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:31 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
For the poster that wrote eggs don't need a hechsher. I found out that not all chickens that lay eggs are kosher and when they aren't their eggs are not kosher. I'm not sure the specifics but we raise chickens and this was brought to my attention. I always thought all chickens and eggs were kosher but they aren't.

The eggs that I buy in my local heimishe grocery don't have any hechsher on the carton.

5BH

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:43 pm
We asked a shaila and we're told rice, sugar and flour don't need a hechsher. Eggs and honey don't either. This is for US and Canada.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:53 pm
Maple syrup, most spices, water, plain grains ( like from Whole Foods where you get from a general container)

perquacky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 5:06 pm
cnc wrote:
The eggs that I buy in my local heimishe grocery don't have any hechsher on the carton.

There was a story not too long ago about a breed of chicken in Europe that may not be kosher. But I don't believe most people hold that way. AFAIK, all chicken eggs in the US are kosher.

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 5:37 pm
perquacky wrote:
There was a story not too long ago about a breed of chicken in Europe that may not be kosher. But I don't believe most people hold that way. AFAIK, all chicken eggs in the US are kosher.

I was told by people in the food business that eggs are always kosher (and kosher for Pesach) even without any symbol. I wonder what bizzydizzymommy is referring to.

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 5:54 pm
nylon wrote:
In france, by law, a plain baguette may NOT contain milk: only flour, water, salt, and yeast (and you may add Vitamin C which helps the dough). Many rabbis rule that you can eat a plain baguette form any bakery though you have to ask if they grease the molds. If they don't, then it's okay (but obviously, not pat yisrael).

I was always told that flour does not need a hechsher and nor do whole spices but I have seen disagreement on whether you can buy pure ground ones.

So it is only a plain baguette and nothing else?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen