Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Why are you frum?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Why are you frum?
Never thought about it  
 4%  [ 12 ]
Because I was born frum  
 45%  [ 115 ]
I am not frum  
 2%  [ 6 ]
I am BT. I chose this lifestyle  
 18%  [ 47 ]
I am FFB but struggled and chose a frum life consciously   
 28%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 251

mirah2

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 4:22 pm
I ended up voting under the 'BT' option, but I'm actually a giyoret.

Perhaps the option can be changed to cater for those of us who chose to be Jewish at all, let alone frum?

SpottedBanana

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 6:43 pm
imasoftov wrote:
So there's a poll choice which you would not like anyone to use?

I didn't make the poll -- I would simply like people to abide by the rules in choosing whether or not to join it. Is that so bad?

dina125

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 9:40 pm
I was born frum and I remain frum because I believe that the Torah is true.

sneakermom

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 10:53 pm
Because there is nothing besides God. And the Torah is emes. And the essence of a Jew is expressed by his cleaving to Torah and mitzvos.

Because being frum is a great privilege. It allows us to live a meaningful, elevated, and Godly life.

And the boundaries protect us so that we can enjoy great family life.

Because without it I would feel like life is not worth living. What’s the point?

Because my grandparents and great grandparents all the way up, kept the Torah with great sacrifice and devotion. And I am part of that chain.

And specifically because my grandparents went through the holocaust and didn’t lose their faith. And it’s my honor to continue to hold that torch.

Being frum is so much fun. You can enjoy all the gashmius while elevating it to a spiritual level. It’s a transformative and meaningful experience.

Being frum allows you to be human. The Torah is “b’chai bahem” and it encourages us to do things in a doable way.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 5:26 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
I didn't make the poll -- I would simply like people to abide by the rules in choosing whether or not to join it. Is that so bad?

It seems to me that if there's a choice "I am not frum" in the poll that it would be appropriate for people for whom that is the case to select it. If however you feel that such a choice goes against site rules feel free to report the OP. If you'd also like Yael to find out who the six people are who chose it (who do not include me) and remove them from the site you'll have to message her.

icebreaker

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 4:22 pm
grace413 wrote:
I misread. Please accept my apology.

No problem. I accept Very Happy

mfb

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 11:03 am
Optimystic wrote:
None of the available options really fit me. If I could, I would have selected something like:

FFB, but not Orthodox until educated, always thought about it, but never chose it.

What I think about is why God could not just have put me in an Orthodox family from birth in a religious community. Yes, Conservative shuls were more religious back then than they are now, but it still set me up for failure when it came time to find my bashert. Men with my values saw a BT and assumed unpleasant things about my past or my character, and men who would accept me did not meet my standards with one somewhat belated exception. And so now I am childless, infertile, and except for a short time, alone.

I would never have chosen any of that.

Couldn't pass thhis without giving hugs Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 6:42 pm
imasoftov wrote:
It seems to me that if there's a choice "I am not frum" in the poll that it would be appropriate for people for whom that is the case to select it. If however you feel that such a choice goes against site rules feel free to report the OP. If you'd also like Yael to find out who the six people are who chose it (who do not include me) and remove them from the site you'll have to message her.

But I don't want to do either of those things -- I just wanted to politely and sincerely ask those who voted "not frum" to leave the site. What exactly was wrong with that?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:15 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
But I don't want to do either of those things -- I just wanted to politely and sincerely ask those who voted "not frum" to leave the site. What exactly was wrong with that?

How is their use of this site "[not] fair to the rest of us"?

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:53 pm
imasoftov wrote:
How is their use of this site "[not] fair to the rest of us"?

When I ask a question on here, I'm looking for the opinions of frum women (especially when I post a poll). If I wanted the opinions of both frum and non-frum women, I could write an article for the Forward or do any number of other things. In general, when there are rules of a game/site/anything, I find that it is much more enjoyable when everyone plays by the rules, and I imagine I am not the only one who feels that way.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:08 pm
SpottedBanana wrote:
... I imagine I am not the only one who feels that way.

Why imagine? Start another poll about that.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:16 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Why imagine? Start another poll about that.

I...don't really want to? Why do you keep picking on every post I write on this thread?

hotzenplotz

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:21 pm
I love being frum because when I wake up in the morning I get to say Birchas Hashachar

and I think it is the most brilliant composition ever, and I feel connected to something other wordly (Hashem) and the feeling is pride and overwhelming at all the good things Hshm does
for us every minute, every day.
And everything I do and say is automatically full of meaning if I continue this train of thought throughout the day...

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:33 pm
I chose BT, but am a geyoret. I fell in love with Torah via one Yid I met and Chabad chassidus (chabad.org) when I was looking for a lot of answers. Now I am B"H a Jew:)

imasoftov

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 3:56 am
SpottedBanana wrote:
I...don't really want to? Why do you keep picking on every post I write on this thread?

From where I sit, we're having a conversation.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:36 am
imasoftov wrote:

Wouldn't you hope, however, that if someone was on the site and not frum, that it was because they were trying to become frum or were in the process of converting to Judaism? A person who was considering conversion (a couple who davens at our shul and whom everyone in the shul is friends with but who are not yet converted), could learn a lot from this site. My concern about people like my shul friend is that they learn the laws, customs, interpretations, etc but that they don't understand the culture and could get a crash course in the culture here. They shouldn't think that all frum Jews are goody two shoes who never have worldly desires and then be crushed and disappointed to find out how human we really are.

For women who were frum but are at present OTD, maybe something on the site will inspire them to return to frumkeit.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:37 am
imasoftov wrote:
From where I sit, we're having a conversation.

I just love having conversations with you; remember some of our famous conversations? Rolling Laughter

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:39 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
I chose BT, but am a geyoret. I fell in love with Torah via one Yid I met and Chabad chassidus (chabad.org) when I was looking for a lot of answers. Now I am B"H a Jew:)

And maybe your special mission could be to inspire those other Jews who simply take our beautiful Torah for granted. You could do that right here without even leaving home.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:46 am
I was brought up in a Conservative home and I was active in our synagogue and did go on Shabbos to the shul. Orthodoxy in America was really in the minority then and in our community it was a small and inconspicuous group.

As I became an adult, I became very uncomfortable with the left wing feminist direction that Conservative Judaism was taking and at the same time, 2 other things happened. I met my husband just prior to my 19th birthday, and he was much more knowledgeable and learned about all things Jewish, and my brother started bringing home The Jewish Press from Hebrew school and I liked it so much that I purchased a subscription.

I was 22 when my husband and I finally married and the shul nearest our apartment was Chabad. A year later, I had a health issue which needed surgery and the Rebbe gave a bracha and things turned out better than anyone thought it would so we stuck with Chabad.

lavenderchimes

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 10:42 pm
southernbubby wrote:
And maybe your special mission could be to inspire those other Jews who simply take our beautiful Torah for granted. You could do that right here without even leaving home.

Yes A timely reminder, as we begin Chanukah, of the importance of illuminating the world❤️
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics