Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Daydreamers in school

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 11:50 am
I'm looking for ideas as to how to teach daydreamers to focus longer in class. The typical daydreamer I'm referring to can't concentrate for longer than 30 seconds. I was thinking that if a daydreamer was given focusing exercises built up to last longer periods each time, he would be able to become a successful student.
What are good ideas for focusing exercises? Any good ideas?

shoshb

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 2:32 pm
For one thing, make sure they're eating right and getting plenty of exercise.
More specifically, ask them to repeat what you've said, or ask them simple questions to keep them engaged. Give them lots of opportunities for success, and "catch" them being good.

willow

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 4:32 pm
Oh I would love to know tips for this one!! I was a constant daydreamer in school:)

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 9:38 am
shosh, my question was more about teaching kids to be more focused than about how to deal with them in school. you're absolutely right about eating right and getting exercise, and don't forget getting enough sleep.

to answer my own question I thought of giving them a large number of small objects to count in a specific amount of time. Or to draw or write a specific thing in a specific amount of time. Ie, setting a stopwatch each time they do their work and they can try and do better each time.

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 5:26 pm
With My twins ,one is very focused gets the job done quick and is quick to catch on. The other daydreams his way to shul measuring the trucks wheels across the street, eyeing the construction crew gear, talking about the day, and it takes forever to go anywhere with him B"h Wink he is my daydreamer but I shoudl add very bright, what he grasps in span of 30 sec would take someone else 30 min .

I would love to know what to do to get him to stay focused longer b/4 he goes into a world of his own so I am open to suggestions please Smile

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 8:14 pm
The only thing I can think of is that too many videos and computer games flashing before him can make the inability to focus a lot worse.

I wish there were more ideas though. This is a real problem for many kids in school. If they can't focus for more than 30 seconds they won't make it through elementary. Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics