Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Would you buy a Jewish book on puberty to give DS?
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 5:10 pm
Would you buy a Jewish book on puberty for your DS? The book would be for them to read on their own and then discuss. Why or why not? Would you want it to also discuss the basics of reproduction or puberty only?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 5:37 pm
Most definitely! There is a need for something like this.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 5:38 pm
Mom did it to me. Hated it.

animeme

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 5:39 pm
Yes please! A boys version of "The Wonder of Becoming You". Many parents prefer to read it themselves as a guideline for talking to d's, which works too.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
Would you buy a Jewish book on puberty for your DS? The book would be for them to read on their own and then discuss. Why or why not? Would you want it to also discuss the basics of reproduction or puberty only?

Yes. Though it would be given after I had my talk with him. But it might also help me figure out how to talk to him before I give it too.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 6:30 pm
Most definitely- it would have to be very well written/thought out though.
Probably would be better if it had haskamos from rabbanim (that part to relax my husband)

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 6:32 pm
Do these boys not have fathers to explain this stuff? Scratching Head

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 6:39 pm
I would

SisterSix

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 6:42 pm
My mother gave me "the wonder of becoming you" to read when I was about 10-11. I was and remain eternally grateful that she didn't try to have a 'talk' with me instead

animeme

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
Do these boys not have fathers to explain this stuff? Scratching Head

A) My dd had her mother (me), but I really benefited from having a book as a starting point.
B) Some kids do better reading the book on their own and absorbing the ideas in private first before discussing.
C) Not all parents, male or female, are good at the talk, or feel comfortable initiating it without some guidance. A book gives you that.

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 7:23 pm
My son learned a lot of human s-xuality from learning Gemura. He knows about periods, reproduction, and the changes in his body.

I think the girls are given "The Book" because they don't same the learning the boys do. They also need some practical knowledge when their periods arrive.

Anyway, I was not impressed with the frum version for the girls. I bought American Girl Doll version. I was given the vague frummy explanations and ended up ignorant. I wouldn't do the same to mine.

ontheotherside

Post Thu, Dec 21 2017, 8:10 pm
I gifted my daughter the book and told her that if she had any questions or concerns mommy is always there to talk or answer. A few weeks later I had a little lunch date with her and we discussed and when she had enough she let me know......I think it’s a combo of the child gaining the knowledge as well as knowing the parent is there to talk if needed.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 5:29 am
Only puberty.
No reproduction.
No "pleasuring is cute and all gedolim do it" thing,but a chapter on guarding one's purity.
There is a need for a boy wonder of becoming you - simply without the girl's body.
I'm ok with some inklings on pregnancy.

If YOU want your boy to know about reproduction, having dh talk to him.Gemara will NOT be understood as a real life thing nor is it clear at all for many kids I have thought. Heck, even public school ed is very unclear and disease based, signed a teacher who had some questions from older boys who wer every confused.

sury1234

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 10:35 am
It has to be written very good,

Optione

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 12:13 pm
sury1234 wrote:
It has to be written very good,

It has to be written very well

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 12:28 pm
Optione wrote:
It has to be written very well

Rude.

pause

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 12:48 pm
I would buy something like this for myself/Dh to use a reference.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
Rude.

Agreed. Nobody likes the grammar police.

Optione

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
Rude.

Normally I'd agree. Except her whole point was that it should be written properly!

I'd also value your opinion more if it wasn't under amother...

Optione

Post Fri, Dec 22 2017, 1:59 pm
amother wrote:
Rude.

Normally I'd agree. Except her whole point was that it should be written properly!

I'd also value your opinion more if it wasn't under amother...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children