Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How for ask neighbor for stuff back that she borrowed
Previous  1  2

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 2:53 pm
A dozen eggs or other large quantity is something that is not generally given unless there truly is an understanding between people that you have free rein in their pantry. I would not begrudge my mother but I also have been given food to take home.

But unless it’s truly an exceptional neighbor, I would expect the return of a dozen eggs but not an egg or two. Just like money. I was a meter and saw a woman fumbling around and I just gave her the quarter because I’ve been in that situation. But I would not give someone ten dollars without an expectation of return unless it was a gift and not someone borrowing.

I would be straightforward as in I am planning my meals and remembered that I had lent you the eggs I was planning to use. Are you going to the store soon?

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 3:08 pm
Our neighbors borrow from each other all the time. I think for the most part we remember and pay back whether it is one egg, a tablespoon of salt, or $200. The amount doesn't matter.

We will make things a present if it is a difficult for the other person to repay like a special hechsher.

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 3:30 pm
There is nothing tactless or rude about saying, "could you please return/repay".

What's tactless or rude is the borrower not repaying/returning, or calling to let you know their situation, so that you are now put in the position of asking.

If they were just scatterbrained, they will apologize and make an effort. If they either get huffy or don't follow up on your request promptly, chalk it up as a lesson learned, and don't lend to them ever again.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 3:44 pm
Squishy wrote:
Our neighbors borrow from each other all the time. I think for the most part we remember and pay back whether it is one egg, a tablespoon of salt, or $200. The amount doesn't matter.

We will make things a present if it is a difficult for the other person to repay like a special hechsher.

Wow! How generous to lend out a hard to replace special hechsher- with no expectation of repayment, or replacement, when the standard is to return a tablespoon of salt!

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 5:04 pm
amother wrote:
Wow! How generous to lend out a hard to replace special hechsher- with no expectation of repayment, or replacement, when the standard is to return a tablespoon of salt!

The standard is to replace what you borrow. All of our neighbors like each other and are reasonably close. If we have, we lend. Bad feelings are avoided by paying back what is borrowed. No one feels on the short end of the stick. We have a lot of good will among us so if it is hard to replace something, we understand.

Some things are difficult for the other person to replace. And I gave the example of a special hechsher. I once borrowed a staple item that is regularly less than $3. My neighbor bought it from someplace not local. I didn't know this and looked in half a dozen stores.

Salt is easy to return. I lend out my glue guns and staple guns without expectation of glue sticks and staple being replaced. This is not so easy to return if you don't own glue guns and staple guns.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 3:32 am
cbg wrote:
I thought eggs are something you MUST return.
That, and candles

?

Sunflower23

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 10:35 am
Borrow them back ;-)

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 11:00 am
I never lend anything I cannot live without.
I never expect anything to be returned.

I learned this years ago from an older wiser friend when I asked her IF I should loan my BFF several hundred dollars for plane fare for her to get to her nieces wedding in israel.

She shared with me that you only loan what you can afford to be without. So I "loaned" my friend the money with no expectations of ever getting it back.

Which worked out beautifully because she couldn't afford to pay us back and we were ok with it- we told her we considered it a gift because we love her so much.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette