Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Advice about becoming a nursing home administrator

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:35 am
In terms of someone thinking of this type of career, do any of you know what type of work this entails and what type of education program to be in to get this license.????

Thanks.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
In terms of someone thinking of this type of career, do any of you know what type of work this entails and what type of education program to be in to get this license.????

Thanks.

https://www.verywell.com/becom.....97919

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:43 am
My husband is an administrator. It is NOT a very family-friendly career. It can be stressful and time-consuming, and if you're in NY or NJ it's hard to find a job. The actual training is not such a big deal, it's 9 months training/internship (this depends on the state) and an exam.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:
My husband is an administrator. It is NOT a very family-friendly career. It can be stressful and time-consuming, and if you're in NY or NJ it's hard to find a job. The actual training is not such a big deal, it's 9 months training/internship (this depends on the state) and an exam.

Thank you very much for responding. Would u be able to elaborate please how it is not family friendly?

When you say training for 9 months, is this training after the person already has a masters?

ces

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you very much for responding. Would u be able to elaborate please how it is not family friendly?

When you say training for 9 months, is this training after the person already has a masters?

I'm not an administrator but I do work in this setting and I agree, it's not family friendly. You are on call 24-7. If there's a blizzard you may be expected to move in to the home and sleep there. Very full time work, no real option for part time. (Full time 40 hrs, not "full time" 30-35 hrs). Hard to find a job in ny/nj and very little room for growth. Talk to people in the field as you're doing your research

ladYdI

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:01 pm
I worked in a nursing home and my bro is a nursing home admin so I looked into this myself. The college work is about a year and then you need to intern in a nursing home for another year under a licensed admin. I believe both touro and Tti offer this- if ur in ny. It is a very full time job so it wasn't feasible for me at the time with a fam of all ages. Maybe I'll revisit it in few years.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:45 pm
ces wrote:
I'm not an administrator but I do work in this setting and I agree, it's not family friendly. You are on call 24-7. If there's a blizzard you may be expected to move in to the home and sleep there. Very full time work, no real option for part time. (Full time 40 hrs, not "full time" 30-35 hrs). Hard to find a job in ny/nj and very little room for growth. Talk to people in the field as you're doing your research

I disagree with the room for growth. Administrators in big nursing homes can make $200k or more. I know one making over $500k but that's definitely not the norm. I also know several LNHA who worked as an administrator and then went on to open their own related business like billing agency, staffing agency etc.
The rest I agree with, it's more than a 9-5 job and the market is flooded in NY/NJ.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 4:37 pm
I work in a nursing home, in a position that works very closely with the administrator. Boy is it a difficult job-not in the job itself, but in how tied down you are to it! Tied? Try chained. You are always always on call, and things always, always pop up.
And then theres state survey. Theres a 6 month window every year when surveyors can pop in for about a week at a time. The administrator MUST be there, so all vacations during that window are out of the question unless youre fully prepared to come back right away.
Our administrator is ALWAYS tied to us by phone/email-whether on chol hamoed with his family or relaxing at home. The department of health often calls or comes in due to a concern (and we are a 5 star facility) and the admin is just always needed. Inclement weather? Needed even more. Ours sleeps over whenever theres a possibility of a snowstorm etc

Its not family friendly at all. But it pays well.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 22 2018, 9:31 am
What's standard salary of the administrator?
5 yrs exp., In ny, one home or a few? I assume it also depends how big the home is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics