Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Are all chassidish children moving to lakewood perfect???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
It is much much harder to get services from the board of education in NJ.

and the evaluators there dont speak yiddish. so that you would probably need to translate for your child what the evaluator is asking.

creditcards

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
I don't mind English speaking since he does understand some english. But need someone to understand what he says in Yiddish and just in case he doesn't understand something. Yiddish is his first language. He's 6. Also he learned to read chassidish way and can't mix him up to change that.

Creditcards- thanks for your support. Any idea where/how should start?

I probably have an easier time because I have a girl so I don't mind her learning in a litvish place. At this point in her level she doesn't understand that much yidishkeit anyway. I'm teaching her about Shabbos at this point. I buy her a chasidish tape before every Yom Tov and that's how she learns about Yom tov. She loves listening to them. I taught her aleph beis and nekidis myself because I wanted her to know it the chasidish way. Brochos she knows both ways. She thinks the litvish way is English and the chasidish way is Yiddish.
There is a preschool for such kids, fantastic school called brain builders. Its covered by insurance. I would send my kid there if you can afford it. The insurance is a lot. Not sure until what age they accept. I would call them to ask where their kids go afterwards. You will probably need to send to a litvish place and maybe make sure they have a Yiddish speaking staff member or therapist working with him there.

I don't know what level he is at but if he is high enough to be with regular kids and have support in the classroom, you can put him in a chasidish cheder and get from insurance a therapist to work with him in cheder and be with him in class. He would need an autism diagnosis to get a lot of hours. Does he have one?

creditcards

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
Did you get help from an advocate? Also, it seems that your daughter is fully autistic. Kids who are only mildly autistic / "on the spectrum" have a tough time getting special ed services even in NYC. I would imagine it's impossible in Lakewood.

It is impossible. I did it with a lawyer. Her school told me which lawyer to speak to. There is one lawyer everyone uses.

creditcards

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
and the evaluators there dont speak yiddish. so that you would probably need to translate for your child what the evaluator is asking.

This can actually work to your benefit. If the child scores lower because he didn't understand, he will be easier approved for services. I didn't even tell them my child knows Yiddish better.

creditcards

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
where did u get the therapists from? Is there an agency I should contact?

Some chasidish schools have therapists working in their schools covered by insurance. Under Medicaid you can get speech and OT. If you need more than that I had from brain builders Yiddish speaking therapists that worked with my daughter when she was still in playgroup with typical kids. The therapist was with her in the class all day and helped her interact with the kids and follow directions. That was before I got her into her school she is in now and has only special kids in her class. It's hard to give advice without knowing what level he is on.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:07 pm
creditcards wrote:
Some chasidish schools have therapists working in their schools covered by insurance. Under Medicaid you can get speech and OT. If you need more than that I had from brain builders Yiddish speaking therapists that worked with my daughter when she was still in playgroup with typical kids. The therapist was with her in the class all day and helped her interact with the kids and follow directions. That was before I got her into her school she is in now and has only special kids in her class. It's hard to give advice without knowing what level he is on.

Afaik lately without a diagnosis its virtually impossible to get therapies from Medicaid and many drs barely even refer.
Could be even impossible with a diagnosis. Idk.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:09 pm
I looked into moving to lakewood about 20 years ago. At that point my child was getting over 20 hours a week therapy. I spoke to people who told me I would be lucky to get 3 hours of week of therapy there.
I did not move and bh my son got the intense therapy he needed. He was mainstreamed and is a fully functional adult. I was told by therapist the aggressive therapy is what helped him. ( he had a ppd Nos diagnosis )

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:22 pm
Hes not autistic Bh. He just needs help in different areas. He needs someone with him in class to make sure he's upto par with class and makes sure he's doing his work. He's currently in a small class setting so worried he'll get lost in big class. Also needs someone to encourage him to play with other kids otherwise he'll just be himself all the time. Needs social skills help too.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
Hes not autistic Bh. He just needs help in different areas. He needs someone with him in class to make sure he's upto par with class and makes sure he's doing his work. He's currently in a small class setting so worried he'll get lost in big class. Also needs someone to encourage him to play with other kids otherwise he'll just be himself all the time. Needs social skills help too.

So look into all the chadarim who has self contained. That would be a place to start asking.
Alternatively you could hire a 20yr old yungerman to be his shadow in the regular class

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds a lot like my daughter. Is he getting services now? I assume you are in NYC. What diagnosis did DOE give him?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:53 pm
I will post the agency name and you can call them. the therapist I know is female. and your son is young so I assume its ok. call the belzer chaider and ask them for mr. miller. he is a speach therapist. but I think he works more with kids in speach area. not as much with language. if you call the chaider you are sending to. which sounds like a chasidish one and ask the menahel he will be able to answer. if your sending to satmar the new one. I am sure the staff knows. I know its new. but im sure they know something. its definitely a learning curve. and you will get there. seriously there are many chasidish kids here in lakewood. in the last 3 years it has blossomed beautifly. so many heimishe yeshivas are taking regular chasidish kids from bp. op no need to worry. you will be ok. if you will need more services you will see what you can do. is any of the advice helpful?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:

ok, I dont think he will have such a hard time. because his needs are not as great as autism. there is plenty of help here. also he will probably pick up a lot of english oncec you move. and you can give him esl thereapy. to help him with the language. he will do much better if he speaks english. the pool of options for a good therapist is bigger. ds also needed therapy and learned english when I moved and now understands it well and is seeing an english speaking therapist.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 4:03 pm
premier psl agency shifra mehl very professional (732) 744-4800 or(646) 943-3230

call the belzer chaider and ask them for mr. millers number.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
premier psl agency shifra mehl very professional (732) 744-4800 or(646) 943-3230

call the belzer chaider and ask them for mr. millers number.

What type therapist is Shifra mehl?

Also I'm concerned that cheder shouldn't make a problem accepting a kid that needs extra help. Should I be worried?

amother
White

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:09 pm
Please do your research before you move at your child's expense.
I would not consider jumping in and then figuring it out once you get here.
A few of the chasidish yeshivish here are very new - are they equipped with all the right services....?
Please find out before you take your child away from an environment that's working and helping him.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:26 pm
amother wrote:
A few of the chasidish yeshivish here are very new - are they equipped with all the right services....?
Please find out before you take your child away from an environment that's working and helping him.

This. So many people move to Lakewood without really thinking about it because they're excited about the cheap housing. Then they get here and get a very rude culture shock when they realize that they don't have shopping within walking distance (and the roads are often unsafe to walk on) or a reliable source of public transport, the schools are really hard to get into, and the services are way worse than in NY. Do your research, people. No, not all chassidish children in Lakewood are "perfect," but their parents may not have come here expecting to have all the chassidish amenities that they're used to in Boro Park.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:

This.

Pioneering for future children should NOT be your priority. Right now you should be concerned about your child, and your child only. I am sure there's help available for your son here and if you take the time to make a lot of phone calls you will find it.

I have a friend that works with children with special needs around your son's age in the Lakewood public school. PM me if you want her number. I'm sure she can point you in the right direction.

Hatzlacha.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 12:54 am
amother wrote:
What type therapist is Shifra mehl?

Also I'm concerned that cheder shouldn't make a problem accepting a kid that needs extra help. Should I be worried?

Shifra is a speech therapist (a speech therapist works with social/pragmatic skills as well as speech and language)

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 8:16 am
I also might be interested in moving to Lakewood and I'm worried about therapy. My dd is high functioning autism. Mainstreamed and doing bh good in her school. They are very happy with her work and it's Alot cuz of the SEIT she has gotten since a young child. She has it through pendancy so might be transferable I'm not sure.
If she loses that it might be rough. I know of chemed where she can probably get play therapy and ot etc which she has now.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Dec 29 2017, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
I also might be interested in moving to Lakewood and I'm worried about therapy. My dd is high functioning autism. Mainstreamed and doing bh good in her school. They are very happy with her work and it's Alot cuz of the SEIT she has gotten since a young child. She has it through pendancy so might be transferable I'm not sure.
If she loses that it might be rough. I know of chemed where she can probably get play therapy and ot etc which she has now.

Chemed is a clinic whose turnover rate is extremely high so be careful about relying on them for any long-term therapy.

I actually came back to this thread because I'm looking through a local paper now and came across an ad I think might be a place to start for imamothers looking to move here:

Speak It Up
Speech and Language Therapy
They accept UHC and Horizon HMO (JerseyCare/Medicaid)
They service your child in his/her school

The contact info in the ad says
C. Neustadt, MA, CCC-SLP
908-692-2272
Speakitupllc@gmail.com

Disclaimer: I don't know this person or anything about them.

Best of luck!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)