Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Chessed Opportunities

eeesss

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:52 pm
Hi all. I don’t work and have some free time on my hands during the week, and would like to get involved in some type of Chessed in Brooklyn. Any suggestions? Maybe we can post and exchange those opportunities/organizations for people who are in need, as well as people who would like to help.

relish

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:54 pm
Can you come help me with my kids in the afternoon one day a week? It's a huge chessed.

ETA: my kids are adorable. Just I'm one person and they are 3 preschool aged kids. I could really use a hand.
Don't have family nearby. I'm in brooklyn too.

happyone

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:08 pm
Call chai lifeline 212-465-1300 they can use drivers, food, volunteers in hospitals , home based support- helping families at home .
Mekimi- can use drivers, visitors, entertainment etc.
718-972-7100
Bein ish uben uchiv
Delivering shabbos packages, making packages, assistance with shabbaton, cooking, baking etc
718-853-4690

Last edited by happyone on Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

happyone

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:11 pm
Kapayim +1 718-412-8560

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:25 pm
relish wrote:
Can you come help me with my kids in the afternoon one day a week? It's a huge chessed.

ETA: my kids are adorable. Just I'm one person and they are 3 preschool aged kids. I could really use a hand.
Don't have family nearby. I'm in brooklyn too.

OP, before Relish posted that was the first thing that came to mind. Many single mothers struggle getting people to watch their kids. Babysitting is an expense many of them can't afford and they need to work to earn some money but their kids walk in the door a few hours before them. I don't think there is an organization for this purpose, but there is a great need for that. Maybe you can organize free babysitting services for single moms of little kids. That would be a huge deal. Signed, a daughter of a single mother who had to fend for herself and watch her little siblings everyday after school until her mother came home two hours later from work.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:33 pm
http://www.masbia.org

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:08 pm
Hilf needs volunteers to cook supper desperately.
Mothers of multiples can use 1-2 hours of respite a day...

kb

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:40 pm
Please don't ever give someone on imamother your address!! Especially one who just joined today.

naomi2

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 8:29 pm
You can volunteer at masbia soup kitchen

browser

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 8:51 pm
I was just on the phone with a friend who is a single mom when I noticed this thread. Here is another vote for helping out these moms who have so much on their shoulders.
Not everyone is affiliated with an organization, many ppl need a kind friend/neighbor to just lend them a hand

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:19 pm
browser wrote:
I was just on the phone with a friend who is a single mom when I noticed this thread. Here is another vote for helping out these moms who have so much on their shoulders.
Not everyone is affiliated with an organization, many ppl need a kind friend/neighbor to just lend them a hand

Organizations can help to set boundaries and limits about how much help to give. Of course, if you live next door to someone in need of help, there is no need to look further because Hashem put the person in your dalad amos, but in general, you don't want to be in a situation where someone wants more of your time and energy than you can give and then you are uncomfortable setting limits. An organization can be a buffer between the giver and the recipient.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics