Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Force infant to take multivitamin??

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 5:59 pm
I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 month old.
Until as per dr's instructions I've been giving him vitamin d (in liquid form), which tastes decent (smells like licorice).
Now the dr said to switch to a multivitamin wth fluoride, vitamin d and other vitamins, which tastes (and looks and smells) horrible. My baby refuses to take it- he spits it out and cries for a long time after I try giving it to him. I've tried mixing it up with food, and with breast milk, but it has a very strong taste and my baby refuses to eat anything with it.
What should I do??

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:39 pm
If it helps you to know, I breastfeed and didnt give my kids any vitamins. They are all very healthy bH.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:48 pm
lucky me Smile, give it in her gtube.
but seriously, know what you mean cuz I had to give multivitamin with iron to one of my older kids. I fought with her a couple of times (at one point in the bath, never mind, cuz e/t was getting stained...) in any case I gave up & started feeding her cereal & mashed chicken.
if u dont want to give up a feeding or two or she must have more than that, than maybe you can try s/t like this: Infant Multi-Vitamins by Mother’s Select for Immune Support, Children’s Growth & Development (no clue re kashrus)

Good luck

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:49 pm
OP, I don't know if there is some unique medical history here, but I never heard of this. Breastfed babies get all this through their moms. Seems like YOU can take the vitamin D and whatever else and your baby will get what he needs from your milk. That's the norm. But again, I don't know if there is some exceptional circumstance here and don't want to advise you to go against your doctor's wishes if there is some medical piece you haven't mentioned.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:57 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
OP, I don't know if there is some unique medical history here, but I never heard of this. Breastfed babies get all this through their moms. Seems like YOU can take the vitamin D and whatever else and your baby will get what he needs from your milk. That's the norm. But again, I don't know if there is some exceptional circumstance here and don't want to advise you to go against your doctor's wishes if there is some medical piece you haven't mentioned.

iirc, breastmilk doesnt carry over the vit. d & lots of ebf babies are low in iron.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:00 pm
Get another medical opinion.

smileyfaces

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:06 pm
I have to give my preemie multivitamin with iron. He hates it. But doctor said he really needs it, he’s already over 1.
Unfortunately it’s very difficult because he spits it out half the time, but I have no choice...

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
iirc, breastmilk doesnt carry over the vit. d & lots of ebf babies are low in iron.

Really? My ped never mentioned this and B"H kids all healthy w/o supplements.

Sorry for bad info, OP.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:12 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Really? My ped never mentioned this and B"H kids all healthy w/o supplements.

Sorry for bad info, OP.

How old are your kids? What op mentioned is standard medical advice. That said I find it hard to give infants vitamins. I try my best to put it in food or bottles if you give any.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:25 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
How old are your kids? What op mentioned is standard medical advice. That said I find it hard to give infants vitamins. I try my best to put it in food or bottles if you give any.

The CDC recommends Vitamin D for infants (as does American Academy of Pediatrics)... the others stuff? not sure where that standard is coming from. (and most states have fluoride in water)

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
The CDC recommends Vitamin D for infants (as does American Academy of Pediatrics)... the others stuff? not sure where that standard is coming from. (and most states have fluoride in water)

My baby doesn't drink water. And I only drink bottled water.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:40 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

He detects it and refuses to eat/drink when I put the vitamin in!
I give jarred fruits/veg, and one bottle of pumped milk.

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 1:47 am
ugh ew at one point my dr. said I should switch from vit. d to a different one with others as well and it smelled and tasted horrible also! I gave it to my son and he would NOT eat it- he LOVED the vit. D. I give the Enfamil Tri-Vi-Sol instead now. It has A, C & D. My pediatrician said it was OK to give that.
Ugh that other stuff tasted so bitter and horrible no way was I giving that unless medically necessary. Ask your child's doctor.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 2:24 am
I don't know anyone who actually gives it.

Teomima

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 7:34 am
dancingqueen wrote:

It certainly depends where. Here in Israel the well-baby clinics (where everyone gets free health care for their young children) recommends vitamin D and, from 4 months on, iron. I have never been told to give my children a multivitamin. In fact, when I've asked my pediatrician, she said as long as they're getting the majority of their nutrients from breastmilk/formula up to a year, and eating a well-balanced diet once they're ready for it, there should be no need whatever for multivitamins.

So, OP, I too am surprised by your doctor's advice and would suggest checking in to see if it's really necessary (and to keep giving the vitamin D your baby is willing to take).

lucky14

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
My baby doesn't drink water. And I only drink bottled water.

are you making sure to get fluoride for yourself?

987gold

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 8:25 pm
I Wouldn't. At one point I tried iron and it was such a disaster with my oldest. Never again unless child has a real problem. Nursing all.by babies and they seem fine

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 04 2018, 8:29 pm
lucky14 wrote:
are you making sure to get fluoride for yourself?

No...
Didn't realize adults also need it. I use toothpaste; I always thought it was contained in toothpaste.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jan 05 2018, 1:00 am
What's with the American obsession with vitamins?? This would literally never be a consideration elsewhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics