Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training help
1  2  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 7:49 pm
My baby is 5 months old. He wakes up very often at night and I have to nurse him back to sleep. Many nights I'm too tired and end up taking him into my bed. I need to stop this cycle and get him to sleep a stretch through the night.
( I have many other children BH, and the one on top is 3 and still wakes up crying in middle of the night and needs me to stay with him until he falls asleep) I want to avoid doing this again.

So-
I'm looking for a recommendation for a sleep coach or sleep training program that works for nursing babies and does not use a cry it out method - because I won't do that-
I see some programs online ( like sleep sense ) or there are people whom I've read about

But looking for real life recommendation
I'm in NJ, if that helps...

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 7:53 pm
I just did cry it out (based on dr weissbluth's book) with my second child.
After each child, I was amazed at how quickly it works.
My almost seven month old cried for forty minutes the first night, and then hasn't cried more than five minutes since!
He even naps in the crib now, which he never did before.
Some people think Cry it out is cruel; I think it gives baby and mommy a new lease on life. My baby can happily go to sleep now, and I can have a stress- free night, knowing that my baby is happy and will sleep comfortably, and if he wakes up, he will self soothe until he falls back asleep.

Edited to add that somehow I missed in your op that you're NOT looking for a cry it out method. So disregard my post

alis_al_kulana

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 7:58 pm
First, take him to the doctor and rule out medical issues like reflux, anemia, not gaining enough weight, anything that could affect his sleep.

If everything comes back fine, I would go ahead and do cry it out.

potatoes

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:05 pm
I used Christina Gatcher. http://www.goodnightsleepcoaching.com/ several times.
She is based in NYC, does initial meetings in person or on the phone

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:08 pm
Thanks for the answer so far,
Ive used the CIO method for some of my others. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not.
I'd rather avoid it now and use a diff method if I can.
Im looking for a more personal approach- someone who can guide my with my specific needs and family.

Experience BH I have . That's why I know this time now I need outside assistance and accountability ...
Thx

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:09 pm
potatoes wrote:
I used Christina Gatcher. http://www.goodnightsleepcoaching.com/ several times.
She is based in NYC, does initial meetings in person or on the phone

Can you give me feedback on your experience with her and how much she charges? Thx

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:16 pm
Sleep training (any and all versions) are harder on the parents (mothers) than the baby.

Have you tried swaddling or a sleep sack and putting baby to bed awake (after feeding and burping). Then leave for an hour or two while the baby cries (with DH or another reliable babysitter at home.

À few tips are:
- raise the head of the bed slightly (the bed, not just the mattress). This helps drain the ear canals (prevents ear infections) and reduces reflux).
- establishing a routine early really helps (feed, burp, brush gums, read book, goodnight.

I sleep-trained at 9 months for my first, and she cried for 2 h straight for 2 weeks straight. It was so hard. I would have to leave the house... I couldn't take it. But Bh we got much better with each baby and Bh my kids can sleep without issue.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:21 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Sleep training (any and all versions) are harder on the parents (mothers) than the baby.

Have you tried swaddling or a sleep sack and putting baby to bed awake (after feeding and burping). Then leave for an hour or two while the baby cries (with DH or another reliable babysitter at home.

À few tips are:
- raise the head of the bed slightly (the bed, not just the mattress). This helps drain the ear canals (prevents ear infections) and reduces reflux).
- establishing a routine early really helps (feed, burp, brush gums, read book, goodnight.

I sleep-trained at 9 months for my first, and she cried for 2 h straight for 2 weeks straight. It was so hard. I would have to leave the house... I couldn't take it. But Bh we got much better with each baby and Bh my kids can sleep without issue.

Thx, I know all the conventional methods, my baby is uncomfortable sleeping in his crib- even with mattress raised and just kicks and fusses. I work and my dh isn't available to help bedtime so I don't have the strength ability to spend hours sleep training alone and the rest of my kids need to sleep.

That's why I want to use a coach who can help my with my specific needs and I will feel an accountablilty to pull through and not just give up and keep baby on my bed to nurse through the night.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:25 pm
Have you been doing cry it out properly?
The most important first step is to put baby to sleep in the proper sleep window. I find that my baby is ready to nap/sleep by two hours after he wakes up, and that makes all the difference.
Also, once you start cry it out, you have to stick with it for consistency. Have you been doing that with your other children?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
Have you been doing cry it out properly?
The most important first step is to put baby to sleep in the proper sleep window. I find that my baby is ready to nap/sleep by two hours after he wakes up, and that makes all the difference.
Also, once you start cry it out, you have to stick with it for consistency. Have you been doing that with your other children?

With my first few it worked fine. I haven't tried it yet, but it's not my go to method for now. Im only starting to sleep train now. He is turning 5 months. My household has grown and is too loud/ busy/ needy to make it work for me.
( by my last, we did it for weeks and he kept slamming his head on the crib and throwing up- it was cruel and traumatic and totally not effective even though we were consistent)
I also can't risk having baby cry it out during the night and wake up the other children. Not worth it for me.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:33 pm
Oy, that's terrible! Must have been so hard for you to watch/hear. And poor baby!
I understand why cry it out wouldn't work for you.
Wishing you hatzlocha in finding a good solution real soon!

cm

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:37 pm
Is he truly waking all the way when he fusses throughout the night? When babies cycle through a lighter level of sleep, they make fussy noises that look and sound like crying. I found that by "soothing" my baby back to sleep all night long, I was actually waking her up more. The day I stopped picking her up at night and gave her a few minutes to settle was the day we both started getting good rest at night. Something to think about.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:43 pm
cm wrote:
Is he truly waking all the way when he fusses throughout the night? When babies cycle through a lighter level of sleep, they make fussy noises that look and sound like crying. I found that by "soothing" my baby back to sleep all night long, I was actually waking her up more. The day I stopped picking her up at night and gave her a few minutes to settle was the day we both started getting good rest at night. Something to think about.

No, crying hysterically and waking the whole house

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 8:50 pm
Have you spoken to your baby's doctor? Is there any possibility of reflux?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 9:06 pm
A baby crying for 2 hrs for 2 weeks?? That is very very sad! Please dont do CIO. The reason it is so hard on the mothers is because it should be hard; as you are fighting a mothers natural instinct to be there for their babies. There are much better ways that are nurturing to the baby and let baby and mom sleep. Try reading "The No Cry To Sleep Solution " by Elizabeth Pantley. It takes patience but is a much more loving and calm approach for the babies. Good luck!!

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Jan 06 2018, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
No, crying hysterically and waking the whole house

That is so stressful! I wish you hatzlocho!!! And Zzzzzs.

Big hug!

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:21 am
[quote="amother"]A baby crying for 2 hrs for 2 weeks??'

At 9 or 10 months old, yes. She had a a strong personality then and still does now. But now, BH, as a result, she is a well adjusted and easy sleeper. Her siblings were BH not as difficult to sleep train. This is in large part because I learned to put my babies to bed while they are still awake.

I needed to let her CIO because I was going bananas (work, studies, no sleep!). In some ways, she trained me!

potatoes

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:41 am
amother wrote:
Can you give me feedback on your experience with her and how much she charges? Thx

I was very happy and bless the day I decided to use he
Each kid was different. There was minimal crying (there will always be a bit of crying because that's how baby's express themselves. )

She creates a plan with you based on your child's temperament, schedule, stomach sensitivities, etc. And you follow through and talk to her daily, and then every other day, for about 2 weeks, or however long you end up needing. She isn't picky about every minute, and also answers emails amaizing.
I chose the package that was around $400 .
The first time I used her, the first night the plan didnt work at all, but based on my feedback, she learned more where the baby is actually holding, and switched our plan, ahich then worked like a charm! So much easier than I expected, and peace was restored im our home at night! Took about a week to get it mostly, and 2 weeks fir 'perfection '
But you have to be someone who can follow through 100% , if not, your wasting your money.
But it was sooo worth it. Your giving the baby a gift for life. Knowing how to self soothe, and having good sleep habits.
Sleep needs to be taught, like anything else

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:17 am
potatoes wrote:
I was very happy and bless the day I decided to use he
Each kid was different. There was minimal crying (there will always be a bit of crying because that's how baby's express themselves. )

She creates a plan with you based on your child's temperament, schedule, stomach sensitivities, etc. And you follow through and talk to her daily, and then every other day, for about 2 weeks, or however long you end up needing. She isn't picky about every minute, and also answers emails amaizing.
I chose the package that was around $400 .
The first time I used her, the first night the plan didnt work at all, but based on my feedback, she learned more where the baby is actually holding, and switched our plan, ahich then worked like a charm! So much easier than I expected, and peace was restored im our home at night! Took about a week to get it mostly, and 2 weeks fir 'perfection '
But you have to be someone who can follow through 100% , if not, your wasting your money.
But it was sooo worth it. Your giving the baby a gift for life. Knowing how to self soothe, and having good sleep habits.
Sleep needs to be taught, like anything else

Wow, thx!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:03 am
When I did it I didn't do cry it out. I noticed that when the baby wakes up crying, he is fine in my hands for quite some time untill he cries again for hunger so what I did the first night is just hold him till he cried again an hour and a half later, then I first gave him water which he did not want then I eventually gave him milk. Doing it this way I feel like I trained his tummy not to be hungry so he started waking up later and later each night for a feeding and I would keep pushing it off as long as possible without much crying and eventually he just stopped waking up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics