Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
North Miami Beach? Maybe Hollywood
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 4:37 pm
We are from New York. Looking for a heimish community and schooling with warmer weather. We were originally looking at NMB, but my husband asked me to check into Hollywood as well.

From the old posts it seems like Hollywood might be too modern for us and NMB has a ton of crime. Still the case?

Do kids play outside in these places? Nice community? What are the frummer schools like, particularly boys (girls would fit into a regular Bais Yaakov)? Any yiddish in the Chumash at least? I'm sure I will have more questions, but this is my first go at it.

Thanks!

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 4:59 pm
What about east boca?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
What about east boca?

I have no idea. I’m from New York, Remember?LOL . Is east boca what I’m looking for?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:16 pm
Following. Would love to move to NMB and just need to make time to look into it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:17 pm
Do you mean heimish as in leaning chasidish? You mentioned Yiddish , which makes me think you meant that. I don’t think these communities are your type, but you might enjoy being part of them anyways. Good luck!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:47 pm
Hollywood sounds like it will be too modern for you.
There are more Yeshivish families in NMB and Miami Beach because of the kollels there.
However there is no cheder with Yiddish style or typical NY bais yakov style schools in either community.
Families from both communities commute to either school (Toras Emes and Yeshiva elementary school) where boys and girls share a school facility. Classes are mixed until first grade. Boys go until 6th grade and girls only go up to 5th, then they start high school. (If I remember correctly)

I moved out of Florida years ago when my oldest was starting first grade because of the schooling. I hope to move back when my kids are grown!

Boca00

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
There are more Yeshivish families in NMB and Miami Beach because of the kollels there.
However there is no cheder with Yiddish style or typical NY bais yakov style schools in either community.
Families from both communities commute to either school (Toras Emes and Yeshiva elementary school) where boys and girls share a school facility. Classes are mixed until first grade. Boys go until 6th grade and girls only go up to 5th, then they start high school. (If I remember correctly)

Exactly this.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:44 pm
You also have Surfside/Bal/Bay Harbour
Some Yeshivish families, not as many as NMB, but crime rates are much lower.
I live in Aventura, and lived most of my life in MB.
I’m afraid to go certain places in NMB even during the day.
You do have a small Yeshivish community in Hollywood, but I think it’s Sephardic Yeshivish

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:

I moved out of Florida years ago when my oldest was starting first grade because of the schooling. I hope to move back when my kids are grown!

We live in Flatbush but appreciate the Heimish flavor of a school and would really like our boys to learn it (as least as a translation in Chumash, because we are not Chassidish enough that they know how to speak or understand the language otherwise). So you are saying that we wouldn't fit in to NMB. What are the schools like? Right wing at all? No yiddish in any of them? We spoke to someone Chassidish who sends his boys to the Chabad and girls to the BY. Are those more frum and heimish? So confused. Any kids from more heimish families? Also, where is the crime? What's the story there?

Sigh, dh is so excited, I have to always be the voice of reason. I think we should just stick it out in Brooklyn, but he hates it and the cold Sad

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:06 pm
Can you visit?
See first hand what each area has to offer

What about jobs?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:16 pm
I live in Flatbush, not Miami, but from the sound of what you're describing OP, it sounds like you're looking to replicate Ohr Shraga Veretzky, but you're not going to find it in Miami. The standard yeshivish schools aren't yiddish or heimish in that way, and I don't think you'll be happy with a Chabad school long-term either.

In general, there are a lot more options in Brooklyn than you have out-of-town, and if you want to move OOT, you'll gain in certain areas, but there are also tradeoffs. If you want warm weather and heimishe schools, you'll find that in LA, but the cost of living there is even higher than in Brooklyn. You need to prioritize what's most important to you, and what you can be flexible about.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:18 pm
How much is a 4 bedroom house in nmb? And how much are the properties taxes?

Boca00

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:29 pm
MB or NMB are "frummer" areas, but no Yiddish is taught in the schools AFAIK (unless something changed since I moved out).

Bais Yaakov is a big mix- a community school- and a school I learned to appreciate for its normal hashkafos after reading posts here!

Crime rate is much lower in MB than NMB. There is also low crime in other areas, but those are less heimish.

I agree with a previous poster- make a pilot trip and check out the schools and communities.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:29 pm
amother wrote:
How much is a 4 bedroom house in nmb? And how much are the properties taxes?

About-$700,000 and up, not sure taxes since DH takes care of that
You may find some for less, but they need a lot of work, maybe $550/$600

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:

In nmb??

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
In nmb??

Yup-MB- over $1.5M and they are old and need work

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:33 pm
Go on Zillow and check out prices.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:33 pm
doctorima wrote:
I live in Flatbush, not Miami, but from the sound of what you're describing OP, it sounds like you're looking to replicate Ohr Shraga Veretzky, but you're not going to find it in Miami. The standard yeshivish schools aren't yiddish or heimish in that way, and I don't think you'll be happy with a Chabad school long-term either.

In general, there are a lot more options in Brooklyn than you have out-of-town, and if you want to move OOT, you'll gain in certain areas, but there are also tradeoffs. If you want warm weather and heimishe schools, you'll find that in LA, but the cost of living there is even higher than in Brooklyn. You need to prioritize what's most important to you, and what you can be flexible about.

exactly, but not as jappy (or whatever the boy version of that is). We actually wanted to move to L.A. but for a variety of reasons it didn't work.

We are looking for community with a mix that has least has some like us, not too modern. Ideally, we would like to have yiddish in Chumash in school.

In Brooklyn, a lot of regular Flatbush schools translate to yiddish (even yeshivish) because it's the universal language.

Does Miami have a heimish community? What are the communities like? Do kids play outside there and in NMB? Whats the real story with crime? What kind of crime? How does it affect daily life? Can I send the kids to play outside themselves (if I would in Brooklyn? )

E.T.A. we are planning a pilot trip but would like to have an idea before. Research, research, research.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
Yup-MB- over $1.5M and they are old and need work

North Miami Beach prices skyrocketed so high?!
Can't believe it, we used to live there 5 years ago and we now live in NY but can't afford to buy a house and we considering moving back. But I find it really hard to believe that prices are 1.5 in NMB

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
You may find some for less, but they need a lot of work, maybe $550/$600

To my knowledge this is inaccurate. I live in NMB and I am currently looking to buy a house. The prices are closer to the 450-550k range depending on location, pool, size, and condition of the house. There are a couple beautifully finished houses that are more but it is not the norm.
Taxes I don’t know about either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating