Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
List of dairy foods that don't need hechsher if chalav stam

nachlaot

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 6:59 pm
Does anyone have a list of the types of dairy foods that don't need a hechsher if you hold by chalav stam? it would be helpful to have a reference like this. cant find anything online. thank you.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 7:03 pm
Milk, and as far as I know, that’s it.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
Milk, and as far as I know, that’s it.

Even cream and half and half need a hechser as they have other ingredients. Sorry, OP but I think you're out of luck

ggdm

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 8:29 pm
I was convinced that butter doesn't need a hechsher and wanted to answer your question accordingly. But while researching the issue I found that I was wrong, so thank you for correcting my misconception. Unfortunalely (for you), butter needs certification.

Source: https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....tter/

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 8:03 am
Anything is ok except hard cheese. Straight from the reading of the kosher list.

Orchid

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:00 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Anything is ok except hard cheese. Straight from the reading of the kosher list.

What? That cannot be true. Everything, except straight up plain milk if you eat chalav stam, must have a hechsher. All kinds of additives, enzymes, or other ingredients are present in any food product, including dairy products, each of which need to be kosher.

We eat chalav stam, and drink any milk. That's it. Everything else needs hechsher.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:19 pm
Ruchel lives in France. Production methods there may be different than in the USA or Canada.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:20 pm
The milk has to be pasteurized I thought.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:22 pm
ggdm wrote:
I was convinced that butter doesn't need a hechsher and wanted to answer your question accordingly. But while researching the issue I found that I was wrong, so thank you for correcting my misconception. Unfortunalely (for you), butter needs certification.

Source: https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....tter/

I think that the thing with butter is that some people who are strict on CY will eat it w/o CY certification because you can't make butter from milk of other animals. It has to be cow. But still has to have regular dairy certification. Maybe you were thinking of that? Not even sure this is a real thing - I keep CY and would not use that leniency - but I have heard this said over the years.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:22 pm
I wasn't aware of any allowance for dairy without a hechsher. I've heard of people being OK with vegan products but not dairy, since dairy production is necessarily more complicated.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:24 pm
This will most likely vary from country to county.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
The milk has to be pasteurized I thought.

I've been given raw milk in a Chabad production farm, so nope.

Oh, and "that can't be right"? Sorry, I'm very old school, I'll go by rabbis anytime instead of Imamother.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:42 pm
Orchid wrote:
What? That cannot be true. Everything, except straight up plain milk if you eat chalav stam, must have a hechsher. All kinds of additives, enzymes, or other ingredients are present in any food product, including dairy products, each of which need to be kosher.

We eat chalav stam, and drink any milk. That's it. Everything else needs hechsher.

There are different opinions on this. Americans rely on the kashrut industry. In other countries they rely more on the concept of Bittul and reading ingredients, not on having kashrut supervision for every item. We are very strict about kashrut in America.

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:49 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I've been given raw milk in a Chabad production farm, so nope.

Oh, and "that can't be right"? Sorry, I'm very old school, I'll go by rabbis anytime instead of Imamother.

Well wouldn't a Chabad production farm be CY?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 2:26 pm
tichellady wrote:
There are different opinions on this. Americans rely on the kashrut industry. In other countries they rely more on the concept of Bittul and reading ingredients, not on having kashrut supervision for every item. We are very strict about kashrut in America.

I keep cy but where I live pure butter, cream, and maybe other dairy products are ok without a hechsher. Not hard cheese. Other things are on a kosher list eg yogurt.

Cream is just the fat from the milk. Butter is cream shaken up with maybe salt added. (You can easily make it yourself with no special equipment. We do it on pesach. Pour cream into empty bottle, add salt and shake until it turns into butter)

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 2:14 am
cnc wrote:

In addition to this, if you're given the milk on the farm then you can easily trace it to its source without a hechsher. The purpose of a hechsher is in commercial situations. When you buy a container of something in a store, you want a hechsher telling you that you can rely on the contents. If you see milk coming out of a milking plant and there are cows all over and no other processes going on, you can rely on your own observation pretty much as you would if you had a milking cow in your backyard.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:07 am
cnc wrote:

Someone said no raw... So yes raw.

I know at least one mashgiach I saw buying raw milk (chalav stam). But as milk, it's not a problem anyway shrug

Raisin is right, unless you're CY, LIVE IT UP Smile and if you don't like to, don't tell people to stop listening to rabbanim and take on your chumros Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen