Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
All my years of Jewish education in the best schools didn't
Previous  1  2

TammyTammy

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
Motek wrote:

since you're a shlucha I'm going to ask you - are you aware of anywhere that the Rebbe says we should teach children what is wrong with atheism?
Are you sure the Rebbe never spoke of how to deal with that subject with our youth and on college campuses, etc.? I would think He did.

Does anyone else find it somewhat disturbing that the amother above capitalized the "H" in "he" when referring to the Rebbe?

Tammy

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 5:23 pm
TammyTammy wrote:
amother wrote:
Motek wrote:

since you're a shlucha I'm going to ask you - are you aware of anywhere that the Rebbe says we should teach children what is wrong with atheism?
Are you sure the Rebbe never spoke of how to deal with that subject with our youth and on college campuses, etc.? I would think He did.

Does anyone else find it somewhat disturbing that the amother above capitalized the "H" in "he" when referring to the Rebbe?

Tammy

yes

amother

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 6:02 pm
Please don't be disturbed. 8) I come from a family of anything and everything but Lubavitch Chassidim. This is the honor I feel every "Grand Rabbi" deserves. He was a great leader. Satisfied?

TammyTammy

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
Please don't be disturbed. 8) I come from a family of anything and everything but Lubavitch Chassidim. This is the honor I feel every "Grand Rabbi" deserves. He was a great leader. Satisfied?

Fair enough. You should realize, however, that in most cases, the capitalized pronoun is reserved for divine usage. That's why I was disturbed.

Tammy

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 6:09 pm
TammyTammy wrote:
amother wrote:

Fair enough. You should realize, however, that in most cases, the capitalized pronoun is reserved for divine usage. That's why I was disturbed.

Tammy

same

bashinda

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 8:24 pm
Agreed that's how I usually say it. Although the example isn't helpful because in "He is a great leader" you're going to capitalize he anyway because it's at the beginning of the sentence. You can capitalize the Rebbe but somehow "He" is reserved for Hashem to me.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 8:58 pm
I am writing this as a parent of a couple of teens who had lots of questions. My thought is that the school doesn't have to facilitate discussions that may really be disturbing to other teens. However I do beleive, & some schools are starting to do this,that schools need to have built into their schedules time for hashkafa questions. Many teachers aren't equiped to handle some basic questions & choose to ignore. This can cause a teen to veer way off the derech. And I mean a teen who was asking for the sake of understanding as opposed to question of hashkafa.The discussion groups need to be monitored by people with experience & knowledge.You are not alone plenty af adults, more women than men, have had questions never answered. It doesn't necessarily shake their emunah.

Motek

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

Huh? Why are you asking if I'm sure when I'm asking a question? Confused

amother wrote:
However I do beleive, & some schools are starting to do this,that schools need to have built into their schedules time for hashkafa questions.

Over 25 years ago we had a parsha teacher who would come in and expect us to ask questions or else he would teach parsha 8) We had another teacher who would go around the room, asking each of us to ask questions. Too bad I didn't write down what our questions were. I'd love to know.

I think this is a good idea BUT I think the questions should be submitted in writing (anonymous is fine) so that:

1) the teacher can decide whether a question and its response are suitable for the entire class

2) the teacher has time to prepare an answer and doesn't answer off the cuff. They could be very knowledgeable and know how to respond, but I see no advantage to spontaneously answering serious questions.

gryp

Post Fri, Nov 02 2007, 11:52 am
I went to a school where we had a teacher or two we knew we could ask any single question on our minds and we did. Our teachers didn't care to spend most of class time on our questions, and they didn't need time to prepare answers either.
I appreciated it then, but I appreciate it a hundred more times now, especially after reading this thread.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics