Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Learning Material Recommendation

SesameSeeds

Post Thu, Jan 18 2018, 11:02 am
Hi Everyone! I am learning with a partner and was wondering if any of you have recommendations for a book on the subject of 'our relationship with G-d'. I am looking for a book that would go through our relationship with G-d and why we do Mitzvos. Something to give us a better understanding and meaning to our daily lives.

We need something in English that would be very well understood by a beginner.

Thanks a lot!

SesameSeeds

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:32 pm
bump

SpottedBanana

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:44 pm
Yasher koach to you, SesameSeeds!!! Smile

How philosophical do you want? If you want the "real deal," un-watered-down version written in the 1600's, there's "The Way of G-d" by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzatto, a translation from the Hebrew. If you want something a little more contemporary, try pretty much anything by R' Akiva Tatz, like Living Inspired (haven't read but have heard very good things). Or R' Bentzion Shafier's The Shmuz. Or, one of my personal favorites, What the Angel Taught You by R' Noach Weinberg zt"l.

That all answers "why we should want to do mitzvos and what mitzvos ultimately accomplish for us." If you want "why should we believe that we are obligated in mitzvos," I recommend "Permission to Receive" by R' Lawrence Kelemen. If you want "what is the significance of each mitzvah," there's translated versions of Sefer Hachinuch.

Hatzlacha rabba!!!

SesameSeeds

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 2:09 pm
Thanks for your response.
I was doing The Way of Gd up until now but my partner feels like its not so practical. She is someone that believes in the basics and therefore spending so much time on the basics is a bit of a waste of time.

I want it to be logical but at the same time give meaning in our daily lives. I think I will try Akiva Tatz's books. YOu have any specific title? I think 'What the Angel Taught You' could be good as well. I read it a while ago but I remember loving it.

Thanks for the advice.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 2:49 pm
I don't know specifically about the topic you're asking but Strive for Truth by Rabbi Dessler is good learning material. It's sold in English in three volumes.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 8:40 pm
Strive for Truth is very complex. I find it a challenging read sometimes and I'm far from a beginner. I'm thinking of something but it keeps slipping my mind what it's called. Will try to come back if I have a better idea.

BSD1

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 8:48 pm
I suggest looking at Masterplan, based on Rav Hirsch's Chorev, by R' Aryeh Carmell. A little pocket-like book with a wealth of information. Here is a description:

"
Maybe you believe in God, but fail to see what this has to do with how one spends Friday night or which restaurant one eats in?

Or maybe you think that the primary purpose of the mitzvot was to preserve Jewish identity—a function that has now been taken over by the State of Israel?

Or perhaps you are Orthodox, but have no clear idea of the nature of the Torah’s overall aims or the structure of its value system?

Masterplan shows that the mitzvot that have come down to us over the ages form a dynamic and comprehensive system designed to elevate human beings and establish a just and caring society that can serve as a model for all humanity to emulate. It was for this purpose that the Land of Israel was given by God to the Jewish people. We live in a tumultuous age when large sections of mankind are searching for guidance. Masterplan shows that Judaism’s program of mitzvot, encompassing all aspects of life—personal growth, interpersonal and family relationships, commerce, industry, government and environment—is eminently relevant to our contemporary concerns."

For reference, R' Aryeh Carmell is the one who wrote/translated Strive for Truth on Rav Dessler's writings.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:08 pm
That sounds perfect! Never read it but now I want to. Horeb has been on my bookshelf calling to me for a long time but this sounds more approachable.

SesameSeeds

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 10:54 pm
Thanks everyone! I'm back with another question.
Did some research on the books mentioned. Seems like 'Master Plan' is exactly the topic we have been looking for but I think it would be unnecessary to learn with a partner since its written in a regular book format which could be done on your own. Am I correct? Are there any other book/Sefer that would be on that same topic but a little deeper?

Second choice would be Akiva Tatz's Living Inspired. Any more info on that book? what level? what topic?

Other Suggestions were Sefer Hachinuch or Shaar Avodat Haelokim?

Thoughts Please?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:29 pm
Tatz could also be read alone. What type of challenge are you looking to tackle together? You said English and beginner-friendly...

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 7:32 am
SesameSeeds wrote:
Thanks everyone! I'm back with another question.
Did some research on the books mentioned. Seems like 'Master Plan' is exactly the topic we have been looking for but I think it would be unnecessary to learn with a partner since its written in a regular book format which could be done on your own. Am I correct? Are there any other book/Sefer that would be on that same topic but a little deeper?

Second choice would be Akiva Tatz's Living Inspired. Any more info on that book? what level? what topic?

Other Suggestions were Sefer Hachinuch or Shaar Avodat Haelokim?

Thoughts Please?

If she's a beginner, I think any text, no matter how well it's laid out, is good to read with a mentor. You would be surprised at the important tangents and questions that can still come up. (Or maybe you won't be as you've already experienced it.) I think you should still try it.

SesameSeeds

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:42 am
seeker wrote:
Tatz could also be read alone. What type of challenge are you looking to tackle together? You said English and beginner-friendly...

beginner friendly as in the content should be on a level for a beginner to understand. ex: if they talk about topics that only an FFB would understand would require way too much explanation.

Anyone else read 'Masterplan' and can give me some feedback?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics