Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Miracles, The Extraordinary Life of Freida Bassman

GramaNewYork

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 5:47 am
If you've read this book, can you please tell me whether it describes life in Mrs. Bassman's Carpathian town or anything about Carpathian towns in general? There is so little written about Jewish life in the Carpathian region up to and including WWII and I am desperately interested because of family roots.

Thank you.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:18 am
GramaNewYork wrote:
If you've read this book, can you please tell me whether it describes life in Mrs. Bassman's Carpathian town or anything about Carpathian towns in general? There is so little written about Jewish life in the Carpathian region up to and including WWII and I am desperately interested because of family roots.

Thank you.

I read a serial in mishpacha many many years ago about a little girl who lived in the Carpathian mountains and it had a lot of detail iirc. (I think her name was Esther and she was kidnapped by gypsies)
It was before binah and Ami so many many years ago.

May

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
I read a serial in mishpacha many many years ago about a little girl who lived in the Carpathian mountains and it had a lot of detail iirc. (I think her name was Esther and she was kidnapped by gypsies)
It was before binah and Ami so many many years ago.

Are you referring to "Daughter of Two Mothers?"
She wasn't kidnapped by Gypsies, actually by jews. The Gypsies actually saved her during the war, by hiding her in the mountains.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:33 am
GramaNewYork wrote:

Thank you.

I haven't read the whole book but definitely somewhat, plus she reminisces and references through the book, but I don't know how comprehensively.

BayMom

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 10:16 am
GramaNewYork wrote:

Thank you.
Which Carpathian towns in particular would you like to learn about?

GramaNewYork

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 1:07 am
BayMom
PostPosted: Sun, Jan 21 2018, 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Miracles, The Extraordinary Life of Freida Bassman
Which Carpathian towns in particular would you like to learn about?

I'm mostly interested in the towns to the east of Khust like Danilif and Tereble. But chances of me hearing anything about those exact towns are very small so I'd be happy to hear anything in the region described.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room