Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Computer/ screen time

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 1:47 pm
When you allow your kids to go on a screen or a computer what do they do on it? How old are they? What time limits do they have. I have an 11 year old, and I'd love some ideas for reasonable ways for me to allow her to be on our computer, and what is wholesome for her to do on it?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
When you allow your kids to go on a screen or a computer what do they do on it? How old are they? What time limits do they have. I have an 11 year old, and I'd love some ideas for reasonable ways for me to allow her to be on our computer, and what is wholesome for her to do on it?

Is she asking to be on it? If not, I'd say better not to start! It's addictive. Hard to get my kids off even with limits!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 6:00 pm
Yes, she asks all the time. I certainly would rather her do other things, and never be on, but I need to find a healthy balance.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 6:25 pm
Sometimes they play games, like backyard baseball or roller coaster tycoon. Or watch videos - usually the frum plays.
Never internet at that age, unless with a parent for a school project
Not even internet games

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jan 21 2018, 9:57 pm
Nope. My kids don't get any time. A bit on my phone here and there. I just dont want to raise children like that. We watch movies on the weekends. But I like to help them explore their talents. I have terrific art supplies canvas oils etc tons of baking supplies... boys &girls- no matter! I let them try anything. I'm looking into sewing classes soon. Great thing to know especially today with so much opportunity for frum fashion designers.
Yeah I know I'm annoying and missed the point! I just hate hearing ppl do what they dont feel comfortable with cuz they feel pressured by their children. Kids wont love u less when u stand up for your principles and give them options their friends would be jealous of...

salt

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:34 am
amother wrote:

You want her to get used to using a computer? My kids draw pictures with 'paint'. They also use Word - write up calendars, school schedules, type birthday cards.
That way it's fun - they think they're 'playing' on the computer. And they're gaining experience in basic computer skills.
I also allow them to check very limited websites - they like to look at the weather forecast, front page of the news, if I know nothing too bad happened that day (I'm in Israel Sad ), but that is very limited and I'm watching.
Sometimes they also watch video clippings of past school shows that we have recorded.
Or they look through photos - kind of like looking through a photo album.

I'm talking about age 7 - 12.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:39 am
Read an AMAZING article that explains what happens to the brain when they watch. It also had tips that made sense and were practical. Like others said - I wouldn't start but if you have to at least use these guidelines.
https://handsonotrehab.com/scr.....sing/

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 2:47 am
My 10 year old likes to go on PBSkids.org to watch certain shows or play the games. She's also doing coding in school so she likes to work on her projects when she has more time. Lately she's been working on a science report for school, but I won't let her Google information without supervision.

She has to ask before using any websites that we haven't vetted or already allowed her to use. The computer is in plain sight in the dining room so we can keep track of what she's up to.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 3:08 am
My kids don't have free access to the internet. Sometimes they'll get school assignments on specific educational sites or are supposed to type up school assignments and I'll let them use my laptop, in the living room. We do have an old, first generation ipad, that has a few games and videos (that I've put) on it, and at certain times they'll ask to watch, but they know there are strict limitations (only if homework is done, their room is clean, etc. It's never a problem because they dislike cleaning their room more than they like watching so they hardly ever get to use it). The only exceptions are if someone is home sick or if I am sick myself and really need the break. Then I'm grateful for the ability to put on a movie and let them (and me) be.

And they absolutely never have access to a smartphone. Mine and dh's are fingerprint locked and we never let them play with them.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 22 2018, 8:48 am
I actually don't have specific time limits, rather they cannot watch/play until all obligations have been filled. On weekdays, that essentially means 0-30 minutes a day. On weekends it does mean more than that but I'm ok with it because it balances out. Obligations include: homework, instrument practice, chores, playing outside (or inside but something other than a screen), reading, eating full meals, bathing. Also, part of my reading incentive is they can watch the movie version of whatever they're reading when they finish the book. I quite enjoy that exercise actually, leads to great discussion about differences between the movie and the book, and they're just beginning to appreciate that the movie is very, very rarely as good as the book Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children