Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Seminaries..

marissa

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 7:14 am
Hello alll first time poster and first time confronted with daughter looking for seminary. can anyone recommend one, not bais yaakov serious yet open minded girls, inspiring teachrts, nice crowd and a bit of fun too? Bit like michlalah used to be. at a bit of a loss here so thks all who would help us out!

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 7:31 am
Isn't it a bit late? I thought acceptance letters are starting to come out now.

thanks

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 8:24 am
Michlala is still around. Is it an option? What HS?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 8:30 am
Sha'alavim for women (it's in Jerusalem, not in Sha'alavim).

MMY.

saramalka

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:23 am
MMY

cookies6

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:34 am
I think too late to apply now.

marissa

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:36 am
Thank you so much a bit more detailed information on those 2 please?
True we are late but my daughter not happy with her choices anymore and wants to explore other options before really too late

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:36 am
For those who say it's too late to apply, be aware that I know people who've gotten into seminary well past the deadlines. It's always worth it to apply and find out the possibilities. Not all seminaries fill up, and not all get the applicants/types that they want....some girls get into multiple seminaries, so there can be rounds of acceptances.

marissa

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:40 am
Thank you chayalle needed to hear that!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 11:44 am
Chayalle wrote:
For those who say it's too late to apply, be aware that I know people who've gotten into seminary well past the deadlines. It's always worth it to apply and find out the possibilities. Not all seminaries fill up, and not all get the applicants/types that they want....some girls get into multiple seminaries, so there can be rounds of acceptances.

While all of this is true, the OP should not be misled into believing that its not going to be more difficult.

If OP's daughter's school has an Israel guidance counselor, she should be in touch with that person, and try to get information on which seminaries didn't fill up this year. She should also be prepared to explain why she's applying late.

Good luck to your DD.

cookies6

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 1:09 pm
Chayalle wrote:

True, but the ones who get in later are the ones who applied at the same time as everyone else but were put on a waiting list.

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen but may be very difficult.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 1:13 pm
Chayalle wrote:

So true. I got in Purim time.
I'm sorry if I caused you any anxiety op.

marissa

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 1:17 pm
Np thanks all for replying any info on the 2 mentioned shalavim mmy would be very welcome Wink

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 1:45 pm
YU has a guide you might find helpful

https://www.yu.edu/israel-prog.....hools

https://www.yu.edu/israel-prog.....Women

https://www.yu.edu/israel-prog.....seret

But I know that several of these schools already have waiting lists if your daughter is looking for next year. Again, she needs to quickly compile a list of schools she might be interested in and, if there is no guidance counselor at her school, contact them ASAP about possible openings. Given the fact that acceptances already went out, and girls who didn't get into their top choices are already doing this (and their counselors are pulling in every favor they have) she really doesn't have a lot of time to wait.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 1:55 pm
cookies6 wrote:
True, but the ones who get in later are the ones who applied at the same time as everyone else but were put on a waiting list.

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen but may be very difficult.

I'm not saying it's easy, and always better to apply with everyone else, but no...I know people who didn't apply initially, who applied after the deadline, and were asked by the seminary not to tell anyone...so yes, it is possible.

For example, I know someone who didn't get into the seminaries she applied to, and was able to apply to another choice, after the deadline, and got in there....

No experience with the seminaries mentioned here, but just with seminaries in general.

salt

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 2:19 am
MMY - website:

http://www.mevaseret.org/mmy/

Sha'alavim for women:

https://www.shaalvim.org/sfw/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children