Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need advice and ideas:

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 4:38 pm
So here is the shortened version of a very long story-
I started working about 5 years ago. Until I got married I had a excellent job as a manager in a busy organization. I stopped working there because the pay was a joke. After I got married I took a regular office job but soon quit because it was so tedious and boring. I am the Amother of the thread where the bosses we’re treating me unfairly (sorry can’t find it now) and a congratulations is due because I quit that job today.... ok now what?
I am a young kollel wife and mom. My FIL helps us a lot and we could make it now without my income if we use some savings and cut back.
I went for yet another interview yesterday and I realized how I am just so not cut out to be tied to an office chair under the command of the Big Boss. I am a free spirit, creative person with grand ideas who thrives in change. I love helping people, I love helping kids. I like to move things and do big stuff.
So hence my epiphany- I need to work for ME! I need to create my own schedule.
So I thought that right now is an excellent time for me to either go to school or learn a new skill to offer.
I made a list of things I can offer, and I’m wondering if you wise people can help me gain insight if any ideas are feasible or needed.
If you have any ideas- please share! I’m in Lakewood btw.

1. Makeup artist- not expensive startup fee but there are so many around town, will be very hard to get in...

2. Facials- something I would love to learn to do but I wonder how needed this is? Would it keep me busy? Lucrative? I’m scared to do waxing bec I don’t want to burn anyone c”vs.

3. Life coach- I love listening to people and help them thru their issues, but im too young and I don’t think I would have clients bec of my age...

4. Therapist- my dream but not in the mood for school now

5. Party or event planner- at this point this sounds like it’s the most realistic. I would setup small budget events- birthday parties, bas mitzvahs, anniversary parties, proposals, upsherin, l’chaim, showers etc- for a great price. Would you (or your son, brother etc) pay someone to plan, setup and clean up a proposal? Or setup your child’s 1st birthday party, or a romantic dinner for you and your hubby?

Thanks for reading, please comment below!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 7:59 pm
Bump... anyone? Please!

relish

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 8:06 pm
I think that if you have the flair #5 sounds like a good niche specialty.

You would have to have patience and build up slowly, but with the right amount of skill and patience, it can be done.

You may need to provide the service at a lower price in the beginning, or work for another party planner for a little while, until you gain popularity.

Make sure you take good pictures, and set an instagram account. Once you have some experience, and enough pictures, you can try some guest posts on popular blogs, or instagram pages, and in the bio, mention your insta page. There are other ways to grow it.

Another thing about these "luxuries". Don't worry about people being willing to pay for it. Just sell the idea, and the concept. People are willing to buy the confidence and glamor (or whatever feeling you plan on marketing) that you are selling, if your work shows that.

Remember, that if people will be in your photos, it's important that the people are showing the emotion you are selling.

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 9:01 pm
Which appeals most to you?

As you mentioned, the cost of starting up as a make-up artist is minimal. While there are many in Lakewood, there is a large demand. So if it is something that you enjoy give it some thought?

Cost of startup to become a facial practitioner is considerably more than makeup and also it requires more hours of work to make money, and experience is sometimes an asset here.

Your energy sounded the highest when you mentioned the party planner. Before you jump in though, consider if the hours are going to be ok? (being out weekends and evenings etc.) and what is the competition and the market in Lakewood.

Some other things to consider, something in the graphic arts, those are flexible hours and can be done from home. Also look into staging, Real Estate Brokers often hire people to "stage" apartments put in accessories etc to make it look more attractive. This does not have to be limited to Lakewood.

Hatzlacha

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 9:35 pm
I love your last idea. If you are looking for practice, you can help me plan dh 30th birthday party. I don’t live in lakewood but we can plan it long distance. I think that would set you apart. You can be like those interior design services, where you create a shopping cart / theme / photo collage,and help your clients come up with a theme, invites, etc. basically everything other than physically setting and clearing.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:32 am
Thank you all for posting!

Relish, very practical advice!
Ellacoe, I like this staging idea- will look into it.
Amother Vermillion, why would someone hire me to give them ideas and themes? Isn’t that what Pinterest is for?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:46 am
My niche in the party planner market-

There are many (expensive) party planners in Lakewood. The way it works is that you pay the party planner her fee and then you give her your cc# which she uses at her discretion. Baked goods, pekelach, chair, tablecloth rental etc.
Most party planners do not allow homemade food because it ruins the look.
I would like to sit down with the client, create a setup based on her budget, advise what to order and what can be homemade (salads, certain baked goods etc)
I would charge on flat price and that’s it. All inclusive. Tablescape and decor and setup, food (whatever was ordered), tablecloth rental etc.I could have different packages based on budget.
I’m not looking to do large scale high end parties. Think bas mitzvas, first birthday parties, lchaim, upsherin or even a romantic anniversary party for two.
Thoughts?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 11:02 am
Just be aware that party planning can be seriously inconvenient. Think about when people have parties. Sundays. Dinner time. At the last minute (think a kiddush or l'chaim). I know a few party planners, including the high-end ones you're talking about, and their schedules are very demanding.

If you're okay with that, it sounds great! Establish relationships with a few vendors (tablecloth rentals, tableware/paper goods, custom cookies, etc.) and do a few parties for free so you can start an Instagram account. I personally like to plan my own parties, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would use a service like that.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
So here is the shortened version of a very long story-
I started working about 5 years ago. Until I got married I had a excellent job as a manager in a busy organization. I stopped working there because the pay was a joke. After I got married I took a regular office job but soon quit because it was so tedious and boring. I am the Amother of the thread where the bosses we’re treating me unfairly (sorry can’t find it now) and a congratulations is due because I quit that job today.... ok now what?
I am a young kollel wife and mom. My FIL helps us a lot and we could make it now without my income if we use some savings and cut back.
I went for yet another interview yesterday and I realized how I am just so not cut out to be tied to an office chair under the command of the Big Boss. I am a free spirit, creative person with grand ideas who thrives in change. I love helping people, I love helping kids. I like to move things and do big stuff.
So hence my epiphany- I need to work for ME! I need to create my own schedule.
So I thought that right now is an excellent time for me to either go to school or learn a new skill to offer.
I made a list of things I can offer, and I’m wondering if you wise people can help me gain insight if any ideas are feasible or needed.
If you have any ideas- please share! I’m in Lakewood btw.

1. Makeup artist- not expensive startup fee but there are so many around town, will be very hard to get in...

New Jersey requires you to have an esthetician license, which requires 600 hours plus passing the exam.

Are you good at doing others' makeup? Can you do a smokey eye, natural look, cover scars? Do you understand how to do makeup for photography?

amother wrote:
2. Facials- something I would love to learn to do but I wonder how needed this is? Would it keep me busy? Lucrative? I’m scared to do waxing bec I don’t want to burn anyone c”vs.

See esthetician requirements, above. You would also need a good deal of equipment. You shouldn't be offering to do facial extractions without very significant training and experience.

amother wrote:
3. Life coach- I love listening to people and help them thru their issues, but im too young and I don’t think I would have clients bec of my age...

What are your qualifications to be a "life coach"?

amother wrote:
4. Therapist- my dream but not in the mood for school now

Sorry, but just about everything you've mentioned requires schooling.

amother wrote:
5. Party or event planner- at this point this sounds like it’s the most realistic. I would setup small budget events- birthday parties, bas mitzvahs, anniversary parties, proposals, upsherin, l’chaim, showers etc- for a great price. Would you (or your son, brother etc) pay someone to plan, setup and clean up a proposal? Or setup your child’s 1st birthday party, or a romantic dinner for you and your hubby?

Thanks for reading, please comment below!

What contacts do you have with caterers, florists, venues, dressmakers, hairdressers, makeup artists, etc. That's what planners do. They deal with vendors, get a better price than is given to the public with better than usual service, and make it easier for the celebrant. They are able to create atmospheres and themes that most people cannot do themselves.

My advice is that you figure out what you want, then go to school / get a job working for someone in that field. Then when you have experience and contacts, you can consider going out on your own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics