Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Should I Use a Real Name or Pseudonym?
1  2  Next

InnerMe

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 4:47 pm
Ok.. so while I'm dreaming of publishing something and all that cloudy white stuff that dreams are made of.. I'd love to hear Ima readers' and writers' opinions on this writer's dilemma.

I feel like going with my real name allows me to form a connection with the readers.. that pseudonyms do not offer. But then there are the obvious pitfalls of going real... random people judging your life etc.

So ladies, what are your thoughts on this conundrum?
Anything and everything welcome. LOL

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 4:52 pm
You sound awesome and I'd be thrilled to read a book written by you. If you're okay with using your real name, isn't that the best way to make a connection to it? You can't "hide behind" a pseudonym when you deserve the proper recognition for what you've written. Also, it'll encourage you to be brutally honest; something that comes through in the writing and makes a real kesher with people..it speaks to the heart with its honesty.. Go for it! I can't wait to buy one!

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 6:30 pm
I would post this question on Soferet to get actual, not hypothetical, feedback from hundreds of frum writers who have surely grappled with this very question.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 10:10 pm
I write under a pseudonym but do not keep it a secret.

The reason I do this is so that when I introduce myself to a new person I connect through my regular name, as a regular person, not a pen name. In time, people usually find out that I write under a different name. I find it gives me a chance to connect in two different ways.

Also, the pen name I use has a memorable ring to it; I consider it my branding. My real name is rather forgettable.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:14 am
As a reader I definitely appreciate someone using their real name, and I agree that it allows me to connect even more with them. But as a writer I wouldn't want to risk being judged for what I've written either - that's just me though. I'm more of a private person.

Will you be writing about personal issues? Are there people in your life who would want their privacy protected even if you don't feel the need for your privacy?

crust

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 6:35 am
doctorima wrote:
I would post this question on Soferet to get actual, not hypothetical, feedback from hundreds of frum writers who have surely grappled with this very question.

I sent a contact/join request a few times already but they are not responding. The latest update on their website was posted on January 1, 2017. No news in an entire year.

I'm wondering if they are still active?

myself

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 6:42 am
crust wrote:
I sent a contact/join request a few times already but they are not responding. The latest update on their website was posted on January 1, 2017. No news in an entire year.

I'm wondering if they are still active?

Are you sure you got to the right place? It's a google group, not a website, and it's very active. Did you email the moderator for access?

CatLady

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 6:46 am
If I were publishing in several genres, I might consider using a nom de plume, saving my real name for my core audience. If your main focus is, say, The Malka Cohen Mysteries, about the neighbourhood yenta who finds herself in the midst of weird situations, and your side project is -
let's go crazy - NASCAR sci-fi, you won't alienate any of your avid mystery readers.

crust

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 7:19 am
myself wrote:
Are you sure you got to the right place? It's a google group, not a website, and it's very active. Did you email the moderator for access?

I emailed her at least one and a half years ago. No response. Then I came across the website and tried from there to no avail.

myself

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 7:48 am
crust wrote:
I emailed her at least one and a half years ago. No response. Then I came across the website and tried from there to no avail.

I'm not sure which website you're referring to. I'll PM you.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 7:55 am
As a reader I prefer real names.

crust

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 8:04 am
myself wrote:
I'm not sure which website you're referring to. I'll PM you.

Thanks!
This is the site I'm referring to
https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....wVgLt

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:12 am
doctorima wrote:

I actually am on Soferet. But I don't at all consider this hypothetical feedback, I'm curious to hear what the audience feels, and how they connect with writers that are using real versus pen name.

Also, truth is I'm kind of shy on Soferet. I'm intimidated by all these big names that are super awesome writers, so I'm pretty much an onlooker for the meanwhile Wink

Also crust- you should try again. I actually got a link from one of the Imas here, not the link that you posted. I'll see if I can find it.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:14 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
You sound awesome and I'd be thrilled to read a book written by you. If you're okay with using your real name, isn't that the best way to make a connection to it? You can't "hide behind" a pseudonym when you deserve the proper recognition for what you've written. Also, it'll encourage you to be brutally honest; something that comes through in the writing and makes a real kesher with people..it speaks to the heart with its honesty.. Go for it! I can't wait to buy one!

Hey JF! Thanks for the vote of confidence! My book is coming to stores tomorrow!! Go out and get it! You won't regret it! LOL

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
I write under a pseudonym but do not keep it a secret.

The reason I do this is so that when I introduce myself to a new person I connect through my regular name, as a regular person, not a pen name. In time, people usually find out that I write under a different name. I find it gives me a chance to connect in two different ways.

Also, the pen name I use has a memorable ring to it; I consider it my branding. My real name is rather forgettable.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.
Do you feel sort of exposed when people find out your pen name?

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
As a reader I definitely appreciate someone using their real name, and I agree that it allows me to connect even more with them. But as a writer I wouldn't want to risk being judged for what I've written either - that's just me though. I'm more of a private person.

Will you be writing about personal issues? Are there people in your life who would want their privacy protected even if you don't feel the need for your privacy?

Honestly, I don't have a specific genre that I'm limited to, though I enjoy writing musings, about my experiences that have meaning.. so it is more to the personal side. Of course I wouldn't share sensitive information that is not mine to share.

Also I wonder if I do a pen name, there really is no way assuring that no one will find out that it's me.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 11:12 am
crust wrote:

It's definitely quite active (as in multiple emails daily). I also had issues connecting with the moderator and getting added, but be persistent and you will get in.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 11:19 am
I write under my real name. It's interesting to see how it colors people's perception of you and how you get "recognized" by random strangers. (The first time someone asked me if I was "[my name] the writer" I almost said no!)

It's also a little disconcerting to find out that people think that everything you write is based on your own experience. I once wrote a series of safety-related articles that included "personal accounts" - not my own, but other people's - and one person (not the sharpest tool in the shed, but still) told me that she couldn't believe that all of those things happened to me! Oy.

I also hate when editors "edit" in mistakes or wording that I don't like without sending to me for final approval (yes, it's happened multiple times). I don't just write for publications, I write for private businesses as well, and it reflects badly on me sometimes. Blame the editors, not the writers! For that reason, I've told clients to leave my name off of the article if they plan to send my work to certain publications. Too many bad experiences.

The only time I ever wrote something under a pseudonym was when it actually was based on something personal and if a certain person read it, they'd know it was about them. I wasn't willing to take that risk. Oh, and once when I interviewed my own family member and it would have been weird to have my name as the writer.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:34 pm
I am currently published under a pseudonym. Originally, it was because I was fairly active in politics, and I did not want people attempting to derive policy positions from [my] fiction.

There is actually much I want to write about, and recently, I have been going by my Hebrew rather than my American name, so perhaps politics under American name, anything to do with Jewish thought under my Hebrew name, and fiction under my pseudonym.

I haven't "made it" yet, and I am rethinking the pseudonym and/or thinking of putting my fiction under my middle name or even my initials, but I want to keep my middle name secret, and I don't like my initials.

The giant disadvantage of a pseudonym is it creates an extra step when it comes to telling people how to find my book. Excellent question. I am also interested in other's thoughts on this.

ETA: My pseudonym on this thread is Aubergine.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 1:19 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Hey JF! Thanks for the vote of confidence! My book is coming to stores tomorrow!! Go out and get it! You won't regret it! LOL

And the author is....... (drumroll please..)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club