Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Should I Use a Real Name or Pseudonym?
Previous  1  2

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 1:32 pm
Crust... I got it https://groups.google.com/forum/#!aboutgroup/soferet
DoctorIma posted it for me on another thread.

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
I write under my real name. It's interesting to see how it colors people's perception of you and how you get "recognized" by random strangers. (The first time someone asked me if I was "[my name] the writer" I almost said no!)

It's also a little disconcerting to find out that people think that everything you write is based on your own experience. I once wrote a series of safety-related articles that included "personal accounts" - not my own, but other people's - and one person (not the sharpest tool in the shed, but still) told me that she couldn't believe that all of those things happened to me! Oy.

I also hate when editors "edit" in mistakes or wording that I don't like without sending to me for final approval (yes, it's happened multiple times). I don't just write for publications, I write for private businesses as well, and it reflects badly on me sometimes. Blame the editors, not the writers! For that reason, I've told clients to leave my name off of the article if they plan to send my work to certain publications. Too many bad experiences.

The only time I ever wrote something under a pseudonym was when it actually was based on something personal and if a certain person read it, they'd know it was about them. I wasn't willing to take that risk. Oh, and once when I interviewed my own family member and it would have been weird to have my name as the writer.

Ugh... that's part of it! People come to all kind of wrong conclusions, and misread all the time!

InnerMe

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
I am currently published under a pseudonym. Originally, it was because I was fairly active in politics, and I did not want people attempting to derive policy positions from [my] fiction.

There is actually much I want to write about, and recently, I have been going by my Hebrew rather than my American name, so perhaps politics under American name, anything to do with Jewish thought under my Hebrew name, and fiction under my pseudonym.

I haven't "made it" yet, and I am rethinking the pseudonym and/or thinking of putting my fiction under my middle name or even my initials, but I want to keep my middle name secret, and I don't like my initials.

The giant disadvantage of a pseudonym is it creates an extra step when it comes to telling people how to find my book. Excellent question. I am also interested in other's thoughts on this.

ETA: My pseudonym on this thread is Aubergine.

Yes, this makes me wonder.. how do people market their book when under a pseudonym? It really limits your options.

Also- question for you, if you don't mind. Do people know your pseudonyms? Or do you keep it secret?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 1:47 pm
Writer here, too. I always use my real name, even when relating personal details, but my style of writing allows me to write in hyperbole and with a broad stroke of exaggeration, if and when I'm doing humor. It's tongue in cheek to some. The serious writings aren't as much fun to write, but they pay the bills Baruch Hashem.

I have to agree with a previous poster, though. This literally sticks in my craw. I detest when I'm hired by a company who trusts me enough to hire me, but has an in house editor. They feel such a huge need to make a$$inine corrections, it makes me want to rip my hair out. They rephrase sentences the way they "think it sounds correct", instead of politely deferring to something I like to call GRAMMAR RULES. I've had to yank my name off so many projects, it's a joke. I much rather have no one approach me about something, because they didn't know I wrote it, than have even one human say, "Really? That's English?" Even if they said it in a closed room and I would never know, it would irk. I only leave my name on when I'm happy with the end result.

While I'm ranting, I'd like to add, when writers finally think of a clever closing line, along comes some uneducated individual and decides its "too much" or some such drivel, and they just remove that one line. That one CRITICAL line; the one that tied the whole thing up nicely in a bow. I just bow my head in shame...
Trust us, people. You're paying us. Trust us. Please...

OP, be brave. Use your name. You're not writing bodice ripping romance novels. So have fun. (Or do write them, and use a double pen name..like, a play on a play of words. You don't need THAT coming back to haunt you. )

InnerMe

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
Writer here, too. I always use my real name, even when relating personal details, but my style of writing allows me to write in hyperbole and with a broad stroke of exaggeration, if and when I'm doing humor. It's tongue in cheek to some. The serious writings aren't as much fun to write, but they pay the bills Baruch Hashem.

I have to agree with a previous poster, though. This literally sticks in my craw. I detest when I'm hired by a company who trusts me enough to hire me, but has an in house editor. They feel such a huge need to make a$$inine corrections, it makes me want to rip my hair out. They rephrase sentences the way they "think it sounds correct", instead of politely deferring to something I like to call GRAMMAR RULES. I've had to yank my name off so many projects, it's a joke. I much rather have no one approach me about something, because they didn't know I wrote it, than have even one human say, "Really? That's English?" Even if they said it in a closed room and I would never know, it would irk. I only leave my name on when I'm happy with the end result.

While I'm ranting, I'd like to add, when writers finally think of a clever closing line, along comes some uneducated individual and decides its "too much" or some such drivel, and they just remove that one line. That one CRITICAL line; the one that tied the whole thing up nicely in a bow. I just bow my head in shame...
Trust us, people. You're paying us. Trust us. Please...

OP, be brave. Use your name. You're not writing bodice ripping romance novels. So have fun. (Or do write them, and use a double pen name..like, a play on a play of words. You don't need THAT coming back to haunt you. )

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. (btw, just in this post, I smiled at your word choices. I can see you writing humor. I'm trying to place you... Wink

I commiserate with your grievances, although I can't claim to have experienced them!
Lol about the GRAMMAR RULES.

My personal theory is that we get so attached to our writings, it's like literally cutting off a limb when cruelly edited. When I write, it is ME. A part of ME. And you better be careful with how you choose to chop it up. Or reject it offhandedly.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 3:47 pm
I'm a writer and I generally only write under my own name - unless it's to protect someone else's privacy, which has only happened three times so far.

I'm not a fan of pen-names, thought I do understand the allure and practicality of them.

My style is known to be very open and honest - and it would be a little hypocritical - (not ironic in the good way) if I hid behind a pen name. I mostly write fiction and personal essays.

My real name is fairly boring and nondescript, but it's the only one I have, and it seems to be working just fine in terms of "branding" and recognition.

When I do copy/advertorial work I just leave my name off of it. That's a job, I don't need my stamp on it, fiction and essays though - that's all me, proudly.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 4:08 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a writer and I generally only write under my own name - unless it's to protect someone else's privacy, which has only happened three times so far.

I'm not a fan of pen-names, thought I do understand the allure and practicality of them.

My style is known to be very open and honest - and it would be a little hypocritical - (not ironic in the good way) if I hid behind a pen name. I mostly write fiction and personal essays.

My real name is fairly boring and nondescript, but it's the only one I have, and it seems to be working just fine in terms of "branding" and recognition.

When I do copy/advertorial work I just leave my name off of it. That's a job, I don't need my stamp on it, fiction and essays though - that's all me, proudly.

Hey there Wave
No worries, you didn't out yourself;)

Thanks for sharing. Has it ever come back to "bite you?" (The fact that you use your real name)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 5:15 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Hey there Wave
No worries, you didn't out yourself;)

Thanks for sharing. Has it ever come back to "bite you?" (The fact that you use your real name)

I wouldn't say "bite me", but I've definitely had people track me down to give me a piece of their mind. But I've also had people reach out to tell me how much something I wrote meant to them.

You have to have thick skin sometimes.

Optimystic

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 11:14 am
InnerMe wrote:
Do people know your pseudonyms? Or do you keep it secret?

Almost everyone I know IRL knows my pseudonym. I only use it so strangers searching for my book online will not also find me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club