Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Applying to a job while pregnant

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 5:27 pm
I moved to a new city and found out I was pregnant shortly after. I’m just starting to feel good enough to look for work ( getting towards the end of the first trimester). I don’t look pregnant yet. My plan is to apply for jobs, not mention that I’m pregnant until I get an offer, and then bring it up. I just want to get a sense from women who have been in this position if my plan makes sense. I do plan on taking a maternity leave but I do think I will want to go back to work after the maternity leave.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
I moved to a new city and found out I was pregnant shortly after. I’m just starting to feel good enough to look for work ( getting towards the end of the first trimester). I don’t look pregnant yet. My plan is to apply for jobs, not mention that I’m pregnant until I get an offer, and then bring it up. I just want to get a sense from women who have been in this position if my plan makes sense. I do plan on taking a maternity leave but I do think I will want to go back to work after the maternity leave.

One thing you're going to need to consider is whether you would even be eligible for maternity leave. You wouldn't under the FMLA, since you would be employed for less than a year. Even under NY State law (the one I know, states differ), you'd need 26 weeks of employment, and it doesn't sound like you'll have it.

That said, nothing wrong with looking for a job now. Good luck.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 6:15 pm
I asked rabbi dovid feinstein if I need to tell. Was taking teaching job and due december(wasn't showing when hired) he said I dont need to. I did anyway. Cuz I felt bad for students But when taking an office job I didnt. A boss interviewing a married woman during childbearing years should realize it's a possibility. I know some ppl specifically look for middle aged woman for that reason.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
One thing you're going to need to consider is whether you would even be eligible for maternity leave. You wouldn't under the FMLA, since you would be employed for less than a year. Even under NY State law (the one I know, states differ), you'd need 26 weeks of employment, and it doesn't sound like you'll have it.

That said, nothing wrong with looking for a job now. Good luck.

Good point. I guess we will see what happens. Thanks!

BeHappy!

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 10:02 pm
I told my boss I was pregnant by the interview. I wasn't showing yet but was going to start showing in the near future and didn't want to start off on the wrong side.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 23 2018, 10:53 pm
OP, I noticed you said you think you'd want to go back to work. I would try to be more certain, especially if the job requires a commitment.

My mom tells a story if when she was interviewing and she asked if they'd be able to commit for 18 months. One lady who my mom said looked like she was expecting was very flippant with her answer "oh sure, yeah no problem" Another lady who wasn't showing told my mom that she was expecting, but was definitely going to be coming back after birth. My mom said she hired the second lady.

I'm not saying you need to tell or don't. But be sure that you can commit/are certain to will want to go back. Especially if it's the type of job to have to be trained for. It can be aggravating to train someone who will be gone quickly and not come back

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 12:59 am
Most people I know in this situation tell after they've received an offer but before they've accepted it. This is when you're in the strongest position to bargain for maternity leave as well.

rivkam

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 6:41 am
amother wrote:
Most people I know in this situation tell after they've received an offer but before they've accepted it. This is when you're in the strongest position to bargain for maternity leave as well.

Totally agree with this answer. I personally haven't looked for work while pregnant but we hired someone in our office who was actually around 4 months pregnant at the time (not showing) and she didn't mention it at all. She only said something when it was really obvious, like a month later. It annoyed the bosses that she hadn't mentioned it at the beginning and to top it off, she wasn't good at her job and ended up getting fired. I think they may have given her more of a chance at the job if not for pregnancy drama because they felt that she had kinda manipulated them.

If you were right at the beginning of your pregnancy then maybe keep it quiet (this exact situation happened to the PM of New Zealand!) but once you're at the end of the first trimester, I would say it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics