Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Deli Roll Help! What am I doing wrong?

rachelle613

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 2:55 pm
Ok, I know deli roll is supposed to be super easy to make, but I seem to be having problems. I roll out the puff pastry, squirt on some ketchup and mustard, and spread it all over the pastry. Then I line some pastrami slices down the middle and roll it up. Egg it.

Looks great, but then when I put it in the oven, the top splits. Like the whole top part of the deli roll opens up and the deli starts to burn! Why would this be? I did it last night, threw them out, and then tried again today (no, I did NOT roll out the pastry). What am I doing wrong??

loveit

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:02 pm
You need to put slits across the top to let the steam escape other wise it hurts open on its own.

imamother153

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:09 pm
What temperature are u baking it on? I never had this happen and never make slits either.
Maybe lower the temperature and bake it a little longer.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 3:42 pm
Are you putting it seam-side down on the pan?

Bluesky 1

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 4:00 pm
seam side down. yes you must make slits ontop. I had the same issue and it split so I learned the hard way. bake at 375 till golden

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 4:59 pm
imamother153 wrote:
What temperature are u baking it on? I never had this happen and never make slits either.
Maybe lower the temperature and bake it a little longer.

Me either. Cover it with a disposable baking tray until the last ten minutes and then let it brown up.

loveit

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 5:07 pm
Those of you that don’t put slits, do you close up the ends? I could see not needing slits if you leave the ends open but I always tuck them in so the slits are imperative for the steam trying to escape

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 5:10 pm
Never had it happen either and I fold the end in and I don't make slits. Perhaps it has to do with the brand of flaky dough

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 24 2018, 5:18 pm
I make them in mini. SO much easier. No cracking, half raw dough etc and they look cute.

rachelle613

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:11 pm
Thanks all. I did slits on the first batch, which burst open. Tried again last night without slits (I thought maybe I had done the slit too far into the dough) and one had a huge bulge around the middle and split, the other was kinda ok, so we're just gonna use that. Maybe it's just my oven??

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:23 pm
rachelle613 wrote:
Thanks all. I did slits on the first batch, which burst open. Tried again last night without slits (I thought maybe I had done the slit too far into the dough) and one had a huge bulge around the middle and split, the other was kinda ok, so we're just gonna use that. Maybe it's just my oven??

Buy an oven thermometer. You can find them at kitchen supply stores, and they're really cheap. You'll be surprised at how off the temperature is! Most ovens, even brand new ones, run 25 degrees F hotter or colder than what it says on the dial. That's considered an "acceptable" range by manufacturers.

Once you know the REAL temp in your oven, you life will change completely. In the meantime, try baking the deli roll at a lower temp, for a longer amount of time, and check often. If you see it puffing in odd places, poke it with a knife to release the steam as it cooks.

I'll bet you anything your oven is running too hot.

mommyla

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:25 pm
I poke it all over with a fork instead of making slits. It usually turns out well, but sometimes it cracks on top if it's too full or I rolled the dough too thinly.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:26 pm
rachelle613 wrote:

Do you have a convection oven? I find that baking is very finicky, kind of uneven.
And I agree about buying a thermometer. Best $6 investment.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

rachelle613

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:27 pm
Thanks FF, thats a good idea. Truth is my oven's really old, I already know one side bakes faster than the other...maybe one of these days I'll replace it and then I'll actually make an edible deli roll!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes