Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dealing with change

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 7:26 am
One of my children, a 12 year old, has difficulty dealing with unplanned changes. We've worked through the predictable transitions successfully over time but unfortunately he still completely loses it when there's an unexpected change in routine. This happens fairly often unfortunately and I desperately need a way to help him regulate his emotions and deal with change successfully.

Please help me help him!!!

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 1:12 pm
Bump

married123

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 3:31 pm
Play therapist... although he may be too old for that... try to talk him through the change and his feelings involved. I.e. were I worried, scared, angry... let him express himself

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 2:29 am
married123 wrote:
Play therapist... although he may be too old for that... try to talk him through the change and his feelings involved. I.e. were I worried, scared, angry... let him express himself

Thanks for responding. Yep, I think he's too old for play therapy.

We talk. Alot. He just doesn't like when things don't go as planned. If he sets his mind on something it's really difficult for him to adapt to something else. Say I told him that after dinner he can read until bedtime and then he ends up requiring a longish bathroom trip he gets completely thrown off that he's now got less time to read because he was in the bathroom.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 6:05 am
Try a regular child psychologist - they can teach him some useful tools for handling change better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children