Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
She didn't *really* pass, but...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:15 pm
I have this every so often. I would like to hear people's opinions, teachers, parents, and former students.

The report card mark at the end of the term is an average of a test, a midterm, and weekly quizzes. Say a girl gets a 66 on the test and a 54 quiz average. Then when I mark her midterm, she gets a 63, but because I know that she's struggling and put in effort, I mark it more leniently and give her a 68. As far as she knows, she passed both tests, so she passed the term. Her average, however, is a 63, and that's with the modified mark. I feel like I shouldn't be petty over 2 points when she's really putting in a lot of time and effort; this is the best she can do. So I will pass her.

And now for the question: I have two options of what to put onto her report card, either a 65 or a P (for pass). Which one is considered a better mark? Which one will be a stronger message to the girl that you really didn't pass but I had rachmanus on you and let you by?

unexpected

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:20 pm
A P will get your message across better. But if you really have rachmanus on the girl, and you're passing her anyway, why would you not give her the dignity of a real mark?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:26 pm
unexpected wrote:
A P will get your message across better. But if you really have rachmanus on the girl, and you're passing her anyway, why would you not give her the dignity of a real mark?

That's my question. Is it considered better to receive the dignity of a real mark or is it better to receive a P which is open for interpretation about how she passed? (IOW, maybe she passed with flying colors and maybe not; in the mark of a P, there's no clear record about how well she passed.)

HappyGoLucky1

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:31 pm
Why would you want to convey the message that you had rachmanus on her? If she's not a lackadaisical student and is devoting herself to her studies, she deserves the extra 2 points for her effort. If you are marking the rest of the class with grades, give her a 65. As a parent I would be offended if I saw a P. It's a slap in the students face and may just lead her to give up in her studies altogether, and nobody wants that.
Students succeed through the confidence which teachers instill into their students. The goal is to show the students a love for learning, because if they love to learn, even if they don't do well, they will keep on trying. Implying that you had "rachmanus" on her will do nobody any good.
That being said, if you want to portray a message for the student to receive extra help, simply give the parent a phone call.

ellacoe

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:33 pm
I think P would be considered a better mark, but that is just my opinion. There is no benchmark involved, and there is no prospect of a parent or sibling making a comment on the 65.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:34 pm
What grade are you talking about? Also how well do you know the student?

Different ppl will react differently. Some might feel relieved and grateful. Others might be crushed, especially if they thought they did better or they worked really hard on her midterm.

You also said she knows she passed the test.. does she know by how much? Because that can affect how she interprets the grade.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:34 pm
HappyGoLucky1 wrote:
Why would you want to convey the message that you had rachmanus on her? If she's not a lackadaisical student and is devoting herself to her studies, she deserves the extra 2 points for her effort. If you are marking the rest of the class with grades, give her a 65. As a parent I would be offended if I saw a P. It's a slap in the students face and may just lead her to give up in her studies altogether, and nobody wants that.
Students succeed through the confidence which teachers instill into their students. The goal is to show the students a love for learning, because if they love to learn, even if they don't do well, they will keep on trying. Implying that you had "rachmanus" on her will do nobody any good.
That being said, if you want to portray a message for the student to receive extra help, simply give the parent a phone call.

I'm curious why you feel the need to lecture. But I appreciate your response about a P being a slap in the face.

I still want to hear more responses to know if this is how most people think.

unexpected

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
That's my question. Is it considered better to receive the dignity of a real mark or is it better to receive a P which is open for interpretation about how she passed? (IOW, maybe she passed with flying colors and maybe not; in the mark of a P, there's no clear record about how well she passed.)

Unless your only marks are P and F, nobody who gets a P will think they passed with flying colors. A P means, "ok fine I'm passing you- but not because you deserve it..."

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:37 pm
ellacoe wrote:
I think P would be considered a better mark, but that is just my opinion. There is no benchmark involved, and there is no prospect of a parent or sibling making a comment on the 65.

It's not about other people commenting. I want to know if you had the choice between seeing a P or a 65 on your report card, which one would feel better to you?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:38 pm
singleagain wrote:
What grade are you talking about? Also how well do you know the student?

Different ppl will react differently. Some might feel relieved and grateful. Others might be crushed, especially if they thought they did better or they worked really hard on her midterm.

You also said she knows she passed the test.. does she know by how much? Because that can affect how she interprets the grade.

High school.

I'm not asking about a specific student but about a specific situation that comes up occasionally.

HappyGoLucky1

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:38 pm
Who's lecturing? You asked for opinions on the matter.
Something similar happened to one of my children a few years ago. She was crushed. Kids are very perceptive individuals even if they may not be book smart. Little things like these have a huge impact on their future.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:40 pm
unexpected wrote:
Unless your only marks are P and F, nobody who gets a P will think they passed with flying colors. A P means, "ok fine I'm passing you- but not because you deserve it..."

I hear.

(I do give a "number" mark, but, to be completely honest, for make-up tests and such, I do only give P or F; I can't be bothered to get an exact number. Thus there is the concept that P is decent.)

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:41 pm
HappyGoLucky1 wrote:
Who's lecturing? You asked for opinions on the matter.
Something similar happened to one of my children a few years ago. She was crushed. Kids are very perceptive individuals even if they may not be book smart. Little things like these have a huge impact on their future.

Your post felt like it had a lecturing tone to it, but whatever.

I'm sorry for what happened with your daughter. I agree that the little things can have ripple effects, and we must be very careful.

unexpected

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
I hear.

(I do give a "number" mark, but, to be completely honest, for make-up tests and such, I do only give P or F; I can't be bothered to get an exact number. Thus there is the concept that P is decent.)

If a P means you can't be bothered enough then you've answered your own question. A 65 is definitely more dignified.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:49 pm
unexpected wrote:
If a P means you can't be bothered enough then you've answered your own question. A 65 is definitely more dignified.

Good point there! Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:54 pm
P means I passed you with a big pity party.
A mark shows my work, even if it’s just 65

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:55 pm
Thanks everyone!

I would like to hear more responses, but so far majority agree with me, and only ellacoe agrees with my principal...

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:57 pm
I feel that a P is more dignified. (When I taught the administration only allowed number marks though.)

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 12:02 am
As a mother of a struggling daughter that studied for FOUR hours for her midterm this week plus 3 hours with a tutor (at 55.00 a session) and came home crying today with a big "F" I expect her report card to have glowing A for the effort she put in. Teachers see one side of the picture. Mother's of 100 students don't see it at all. Those struggling students should be marked by effort and get glowing marks. Not pitied passes. God gives girls their knowledge. YOU can help their confidence.
Think twice before you pen that mark. It may have ramifications that are lifelong.

imamother153

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 12:05 am
In my opinion P would probably mean I made sure u passed. A 65 would mean that's the mark she scored. Is she honest with herself about her grades? If she's expecting her mark to be in the 60's then shed think its an honest report. And its really nice of u to be so considerate and not make her fail.

Last edited by imamother153 on Fri, Jan 26 2018, 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics