Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Looking to Buy New Pots

kerem

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 9:34 pm
I need to buy new pots. I am looking into tri-ply by Cuisinart or All Clad or the D5 line by All Clad. Does anybody have any experience with any of these types of pots, and does anybody know if there is a difference between the Cuisinart and All Clad.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

imamother153

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 9:45 pm
kerem wrote:
I need to buy new pots. I am looking into tri-ply by Cuisinart or All Clad or the D5 line by All Clad. Does anybody have any experience with any of these types of pots, and does anybody know if there is a difference between the Cuisinart and All Clad.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

I’m not privy to all the details but I have the cheaper line of cousinart for all year round and the more expensive line (triple ply?) for Passover. I don’t think there’s much diff in cooking but the more expensive holds up and cleans nicer. All clad if it’s the original all clad is Way more expensive but a much better well made pot. It cooks way better. U can’t compare the softness and juiceness of the meat cooked in it versus other pots. My sil has it and absolutely loves it. There is though a set that’s called all clad which is not the original for half price and doesn’t cook The same at all.

(In general I like to get single pots versus a set cuz I’ll buy the size that suits my needs even if I’ll pay a little more)

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 10:05 pm
I love how all clad cooks, bought some from their outlet site on sale.
I got a smaller d5 pot, and a larger copper core.
The downside is the smaller pot has a super long handle (takes up room on the stove & in storage) and is quite heavy. I imagine a d5 in 8 quart would be difficult to lift.

kerem

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 10:23 pm
imamother153 wrote:
I’m not privy to all the details but I have the cheaper line of cousinart for all year round and the more expensive line (triple ply?) for Passover. I don’t think there’s much diff in cooking but the more expensive holds up and cleans nicer. All clad if it’s the original all clad is Way more expensive but a much better well made pot. It cooks way better. U can’t compare the softness and juiceness of the meat cooked in it versus other pots. My sil has it and absolutely loves it. There is though a set that’s called all clad which is not the original for half price and doesn’t cook The same at all.

(In general I like to get single pots versus a set cuz I’ll buy the size that suits my needs even if I’ll pay a little more)

Do you know if ur sil has the MultiClad line (3 layers), or the D5 (5 layers)?
It is a lot more expensive and much heavier, so I’m trying to hear if it’s worth the splurge.

Thanks

kerem

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 10:26 pm
studying_torah wrote:
I love how all clad cooks, bought some from their outlet site on sale.
I got a smaller d5 pot, and a larger copper core.
The downside is the smaller pot has a super long handle (takes up room on the stove & in storage) and is quite heavy. I imagine a d5 in 8 quart would be difficult to lift.

Do you see the difference between the D5 and the cooper core? Do you enjoy one more than the other?
In general do you see a difference in your cooking experience when you use All Clad pots?

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 10:35 pm
It's hard to compare the d5 and copper core, I use them very differently. The d5 is for couscous, rice, etc. Cooks quickly, cleans easily, does not stick.
The copper core is for soups.

I love them both, and you cannot compare other pots, like farberware to the all clad.
The allclad heats up quickly & evenly, things brown nicely, my chicken soup is so much better, the food doesn't stick. The 8qt pot that I have is low and wide, rather than tall, which I like bec I have more surface area.
For milchigs, I got Viking pots and enjoy them too (but I don't sear in them.). The Viking pots are just for pasta, sauce and the occasional soup.
I also have a scan pan For fleishig that is a joy to cook and sear in.
What will you use your pots for mostly?

kerem

Post Sun, Jan 28 2018, 11:21 pm
studying_torah wrote:
It's hard to compare the d5 and copper core, I use them very differently. The d5 is for couscous, rice, etc. Cooks quickly, cleans easily, does not stick.
The copper core is for soups.

I love them both, and you cannot compare other pots, like farberware to the all clad.
The allclad heats up quickly & evenly, things brown nicely, my chicken soup is so much better, the food doesn't stick. The 8qt pot that I have is low and wide, rather than tall, which I like bec I have more surface area.
For milchigs, I got Viking pots and enjoy them too (but I don't sear in them.). The Viking pots are just for pasta, sauce and the occasional soup.
I also have a scan pan For fleishig that is a joy to cook and sear in.
What will you use your pots for mostly?

The pots I asked about would be used for meat.
I didn't realize that chicken soup would be tastier in a better pot. I thought the difference was more in meats, but good to know. Do you have a regular cooktop/stove or a very high end one like Wolff or Viking? Somebody who sells pots told me that a typical cook will not see the difference between the tri-ply and d5 or copper core pots. I see you feel differently.

I was looking into the scanpan for dairy, though. Which type of scanpan do you have?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:07 am
I love my cuisinart set

studying_torah

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:43 am
No I have a regular Ge smooth electric cooktop.
Personally I can tell the difference between these higher end pots vs cheaper pots. I don't know that I can really terll the difference between copper core vs d5.
The scan pan I have is a very large saute pan that I use for fleishig. It gives such beautiful brown crusts to everything from chicken breasts to chic peas, to veggies, to chopped meat. Heats up quickly and stays very hot. I. Did accidentally scratch mine by cutting something inside, but it has not affected it's cooking ability.
To me having good potsmakes aa massive diff in cook time, performance, enjoyability of cooking and the taste & texture of the food.

imamother153

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:42 pm
kerem wrote:
Do you know if ur sil has the MultiClad line (3 layers), or the D5 (5 layers)?
It is a lot more expensive and much heavier, so I’m trying to hear if it’s worth the splurge.

Thanks

She has the d5 and is extremely happy with it. Definitely getting your moneys worth. It adds a better flavor to anything cooked in it.

loveit

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 1:35 pm
I have the calphalon try ply with a copper core - been using them with my fleishigs for 12 years and they have been really amazing, still look almost brand new!! They are a nice weight ( I don't ike cheap pots, like what I have for peach, I agree that it seems to have a different taste)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen