Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
EI issue, who do I talk to? (Brooklyn)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 12:48 am
We're having a problem with finding a provider for my baby. the agency tried, but were at a standstill now. it's been going on for a couple of months and this baby desperately needs therapy.
I need to speak to someone high up in the early intervention dept. I tried calling my EIOD and another number I had for EI dept. so far no luck...

Anyone familiar with how EI works in the higher up department?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 2:32 am
When I had an issue I called 311 and they connected me to the right department. Try them see if you have any luck. Also you can tell the agency that you want to be transferred to another agency.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:13 am
Is this through Omni? That's the only agency I know of that holds on to cases even if they can't provide service and hurts the child in the process.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
Is this through Omni? That's the only agency I know of that holds on to cases even if they can't provide service and hurts the child in the process.

Same experience here. (CPSE though, not EI)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:51 am
Op, sounds like you're with the wrong agency. Call Step by Step, ask if they have a therapist who can provide the therapy, then ask them to help transfer your case over to them. Step by step always had therapists for my ds.

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
Op, sounds like you're with the wrong agency. Call Step by Step, ask if they have a therapist who can provide the therapy, then ask them to help transfer your case over to them. Step by step always had therapists for my ds.

And their service coordinators will work really hard to make sure you not only get a provider, but get a good one, one that is right for your child's needs... I have found them to be extremely devoted.

Good luck!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:51 am
Step by step doesn't have

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:02 am
You need to find the name of the person in charge of your child's case at EI. Look through all the documents you signed and find the name of the person who gave over the case to the agency who's not helping you. Speak to them.

creditcards

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:03 am
If there are no therapist available there is nothing a higher up can do. You don't want them to send you just anybody that's not really a good therapist...you can try to find yourself a therapist from other parents that have therapists for their kids. If the therapist agrees to see your child you don't need to switch agency's. In Brooklyn EI allows you to have a therapist from a different agency even if your whole case is not with them....
They let you choose which agency you want for whatever you want...each therapist can be from a different agency. Usually service coordinators do try calling around to different agencies to find a therapist from a different agency if they don't have...you can try to be on top of your service coordinator more. If you feel the service coordinator is not doing a good job you can ask the agency to switch service coordinators. If you know one you like you can probably request that one.
Brooklyn EI is so good they are so flexible and let you be the boss. NJ is much harder. You can't choose anything...

creditcards

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
You need to find the name of the person in charge of your child's case at EI. Look through all the documents you signed and find the name of the person who gave over the case to the agency who's not helping you. Speak to them.

No person gave over the case to the agency. In Brooklyn you choose your agency, whichever one you like. The case managers are not helpful at all. You need to have a good service coordinator. If she is not good. You just need to make one phone call to the agency and ask them to switch you service coordinators to a better one. No need to find any case manager or higher up. They will not help you at all.
I NJ you would be right.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 1:24 pm
amother wrote:

I didn't read the whole thread but they did this to me too. I basically had to force them to give up my child's case (called several times, they pretended each time either that they'll do it or they had no idea what I was talking about). It took a few weeks but I got my child into another agency and were doing well now. A few weeks ago, ages after they finally gave the case up, they called me with great news - they now have a provider available. Apparently they never took me off the waiting list so it was great to see how long it would have actually taken for them to provide my child with services he needs badly.
This rant was just to inform you that you absolutely can make the agency return the case to EI/BOE.
good luck.

creditcards

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread but they did this to me too. I basically had to force them to give up my child's case (called several times, they pretended each time either that they'll do it or they had no idea what I was talking about). It took a few weeks but I got my child into another agency and were doing well now. A few weeks ago, ages after they finally gave the case up, they called me with great news - they now have a provider available. Apparently they never took me off the waiting list so it was great to see how long it would have actually taken for them to provide my child with services he needs badly.
This rant was just to inform you that you absolutely can make the agency return the case to EI/BOE.
good luck.

Of course you can change agency's in NY. Its very easy. You just tell them you want to switch. In NY that's the law... the parent can choose the agency officially...it doesn't need to go back to EI like in NJ.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:00 pm
So because we need a very specific provider for this case (expertise in an area that most therapists don't know) the other agencies I called (5 so far) did not want to take the case.

potatoes

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:21 pm
I didn't read all responses.
U have a lot of experience with EI, and the hiarchy there.
Please change agencies ASAP, and make sure you request a good service coorrdinator, who will work hard, daily to get you a therapost. Not a general email once in 2 weeks to see if anyone has openings...
Months is way too long to not have found soneone or take action. A few weeks is MAX when its crunch time.
You can P.M. me if you'd like. Good luck. Your baby needs the support, and you are the best advocate for your child! Only you!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
So because we need a very specific provider for this case (expertise in an area that most therapists don't know) the other agencies I called (5 so far) did not want to take the case.

Can you get it via your baby's insurance instead of IE?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
Can you get it via your baby's insurance instead of IE?

ya. and we're doing that once a wk. a very big shlep to a clinic in a dif. city

creditcards

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:10 pm
Maybe you can try revival home care. Or another home care agency. They have therapists coming to the home. Goes through insurance.

happyone

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:03 pm
If it's a specialty that they cannot find a therapist that has experience specifically in that field that doesn't disqualify your agency as a good provider and reporting them isnt going to get you the service . Apparently if five other agencies couldn't accept the case, it's difficult to find in your area. My recommendation is to contact St. Mary's in Bayside . St.Marys is a rehab and they have seen it all. They also have a homecare program and might be able to offer some of their therapists in the field you are looking for to pick up extra homecare hours.
Lots of luck!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:26 pm
happyone wrote:
If it's a specialty that they cannot find a therapist that has experience specifically in that field that doesn't disqualify your agency as a good provider and reporting them isnt going to get you the service . Apparently if five other agencies couldn't accept the case, it's difficult to find in your area. My recommendation is to contact St. Mary's in Bayside . St.Marys is a rehab and they have seen it all. They also have a homecare program and might be able to offer some of their therapists in the field you are looking for to pick up extra homecare hours.
Lots of luck!

Thanks. Our social worker sent in a letter to St. Mary's a couple of weeks ago, but so far nothing doing. There are therapists in our area that specialize in what we need- they just all have a full caseload... waiting for them to switch around some other cases...

creditcards

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:30 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks. Our social worker sent in a letter to St. Mary's a couple of weeks ago, but so far nothing doing. There are therapists in our area that specialize in what we need- they just all have a full caseload... waiting for them to switch around some other cases...

Do you know if any of their cases are turning 3 soon? Try to get numbers of therapist yourself. Call them up and plea your case. That's your best chance. Its mostly up to the therapist to make room for you. Ask them if they have any kids close to 3 that you can take over their slot...
Sometimes a therapist says to an agency that she is full...but if you will call yourself and beg a little, she will make room...
Hatzlachah!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics