Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen is basically meat only. Advice for a dairy blender?
1  2  Next

nachlaot

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:11 pm
hi. we're a young couple who are BTs and are a bit new to running a kosher kitchen. we don't eat much dairy, and decided to make our kitchen essentially a meat kitchen.

if we do have dairy, we'll just use plastic cutlery and plates. any dairy we eat is simple and doesn't require cooking, e.g., cheese slices with veggies or throwing some cheese on a salad. anything we use, we throw in the trash and don't have to wash in the sink.

BUT we want to be able to make protein shakes using whey protein powder (which is dairy) using a little nutribullet blender [like this https://images-na.ssl-images-a....._.jpg ]. it'll be much easier to use the nutribullet than having to mix powder and water in a plastic cup -- and it'll give us the option of grinding veggies to add to it.

the problem, though, will be how to rinse/wash the nutribullet. what do you suggest?

our sink does have 2 divided parts. but it seems totally annoying to have to designate one side as dairy just to wash a little plastic cup a couple times a week.

thanks so much. looking forward to any good solutions.

unexpected

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:14 pm
Put hot water and soap in the blender and blend. Let cool. Rinse out in bathroom sink.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:17 pm
I was without a kitchen for a few months and I cooked and made dirty utensils and pots and pans and just washed it all in the bathtub or bathroom sink whichever is easier .

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:19 pm
Do you have a laundry room sick or a utility sink?

Miri7

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:33 pm
Small plastic tub to use as a sink in the bathtub.

nachlaot

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:38 pm
didn't think of the bathroom sink. this might be the best solution.

but maybe I'm being neurotic -- something about mixing kitchen sink schmutz and bathroom sink schmutz seems off. is that not gross to y'all? I'm also afraid that, without a proper garbage disposal, sending all sorts of green smoothie residues down the drain is gonna get stuck in the bathroom sink and not drain properly.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:47 pm
Have one side be meat and one side be treif. Don’t wash things directly in the treif sink, but you can use a rack when you want to use it for washing meat dishes.

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:51 pm
nachlaot wrote:

but maybe I'm being neurotic -- something about mixing kitchen sink schmutz and bathroom sink schmutz seems off. is that not gross to y'all? I'm also afraid that, without a proper garbage disposal, sending all sorts of green smoothie residues down the drain is gonna get stuck in the bathroom sink and not drain properly.

I couldn't bring kitchen stuff into a bathroom. It is something ingrained since I was a little girl. If I am shopping and need a rest room and I have kitchen stuff, I will have a friend hold it outside the bathroom.

nachlaot

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 6:56 pm
tichellady wrote:
Have one side be meat and one side be treif. Don’t wash things directly in the treif sink, but you can use a rack when you want to use it for washing meat dishes.

excuse the dumb question, but if we do this, will we treyf up meat dishes/pots/cutlery if we even touch them on the treyf sink?

we wash most things in the dishwasher (other than a few things that need to be hand washed), and use the sink to rinse off things before they go in the dishwasher. we usually use one side of the sink to do all the washing, but we'll put dishes in the other side of the sink either before rinsing or after rinsing for extra "storage" space, if that makes sense.

married123

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:06 pm
You can wash it in your regular sink, as long as there are no meat dishes in it. Many people have one sink and wash dishes separately. Or you can use your second side for Parve, dairy ... and when not in use, wash your meat utensils. As long as they are not being washed together, it’s fine. Also a bullet can be used for Parve/dairy and just washed well in between. This is because you are not putting in anything hot, only cold foods/fruits....

nachlaot

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 8:21 pm
married123 wrote:
You can wash it in your regular sink, as long as there are no meat dishes in it. Many people have one sink and wash dishes separately. Or you can use your second side for Parve, dairy ... and when not in use, wash your meat utensils. As long as they are not being washed together, it’s fine.

I can wash it in an empty regular sink, and then just later use that sink for meat dishes, and that's it? interesting...

I have a nice oxo dish scrubber / soap dispenser thing. I can't use that for dairy, I'd imagine, because it's touching hot water / meat dishes. right?

Quote:
Also a bullet can be used for Parve/dairy and just washed well in between. This is because you are not putting in anything hot, only cold foods/fruits....

I'm a little confused by this. can I use the nutribullet to make a whey protein shake (dairy), wash it well, and then use it to make a (parve) salad dressing for a meat meal? I thought that's a definite no, since it's plastic not glass.

married123

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:06 pm
nachlaot wrote:
I'm a little confused by this. can I use the nutribullet to make a whey protein shake (dairy), wash it well, and then use it to make a (parve) salad dressing for a meat meal? I thought that's a definite no, since it's plastic not glass.

Yes you can as long as you don’t use hot water in it.

You need to buy a separate scrub for the dairy...

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 9:40 pm
nachlaot wrote:
excuse the dumb question, but if we do this, will we treyf up meat dishes/pots/cutlery if we even touch them on the treyf sink?

we wash most things in the dishwasher (other than a few things that need to be hand washed), and use the sink to rinse off things before they go in the dishwasher. we usually use one side of the sink to do all the washing, but we'll put dishes in the other side of the sink either before rinsing or after rinsing for extra "storage" space, if that makes sense.

You need very hot water to even possibly treyf up your meat dishes. Just don’t use very hot water

bargainlover

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:17 pm
I would ask the rabbi to confirm but I believe if the dressing has vinegar or lemon it's sharp food, and therefore if the blender is dairy the dressing can not be used with a meat meal. This is because we hold sharp foods absorb even if it is cold.

unexpected

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 10:26 pm
nachlaot wrote:

After you blend the hot soapy water in the blender you can just dump it out in the toilet before rinsing in the sink. I wouldn't rely on the "clean sink" method. You want to ingrain the separation of meat and dairy, and it's hard if you're always keeping cheshbon. I had one sink for many years but because I didn't grow up with it, I had a very hard time keeping things separate.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:25 pm
I would just have one of the sinks be dairy. Soon enough you will have kids and have more dairy dishes to do. There's no need to have your whole kitchen be meaty.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 29 2018, 11:35 pm
I'm ffb, grew up with one sink. Wash your dairy blender in the sink. What's the issue?
Just remove the fleishigeh dishes before washing the blender.

nachlaot

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 12:55 am
amother wrote:
I'm ffb, grew up with one sink. Wash your dairy blender in the sink. What's the issue?
Just remove the fleishigeh dishes before washing the blender.

the issue is that I've read things that make it much more complicated.

for example, this would make it seem like I'd need to get a rack for the meat dishes, have to wash the sink out between each use, etc. -- http://www.aish.com/atr/Single......html

this is in accord, also citing reb moishe http://halachipedia.com/index......_Sink

this also says similar -- https://www.chabad.org/library.....n.htm

the idea of having to get a rack and not being able to ever put meat dishes directly in the sink -- just to wash a plastic cup -- seems rather annoying

bargainlover wrote:
I would ask the rabbi to confirm but I believe if the dressing has vinegar or lemon it's sharp food, and therefore if the blender is dairy the dressing can not be used with a meat meal. This is because we hold sharp foods absorb even if it is cold.

good point. most of our dressings have something sharp -- garlic or a chili or vinegar. I wasn't even thinking about that.

unexpected wrote:
After you blend the hot soapy water in the blender you can just dump it out in the toilet before rinsing in the sink. I wouldn't rely on the "clean sink" method. You want to ingrain the separation of meat and dairy, and it's hard if you're always keeping cheshbon. I had one sink for many years but because I didn't grow up with it, I had a very hard time keeping things separate.

residues get stuck to the side/bottom of the nutribullet -- even if you clean right after drinking -- so I kind of need to use a water flow to get it fully clean

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 1:17 am
I have only one sink. It's possible to wash both dairy and fleishig in one sink. However, going off what you say about being a young couple, it doesn't sound like feeding small children is something you've had to deal with much, and I'd strongly recommend you think long term. You'll be feeding children dairy (at least, I hope/assume so). Cereal with milk, grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese omelettes, etc. I'd suggest you start thinking long term. If you already have a sink for it, make it a dairy sink already. Eventually you'll likely get a dairy pan, maybe even dishes. Might as well start getting used to it now, while you'll only have one dairy dish to contend with, and get yourselves in the habit.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 6:09 am
Learn the halachos better so you won't have to be so neurotic. Wash it with cool or lukewarm water and soap in the kitchen sink. Same as your dairy knife.
It's much harder than you think to treif up a kitchen.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen