Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
WWYD; marking midterms many students did poorly
Previous  1  2

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:32 pm
Test results are a better indication of teacher performance than students'.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 7:59 pm
I disagree with those who are saying that this indicates that the students did not learn the material well enough.

It could be that the test was simply too hard. OP, did you give the class a review before the final? Maybe they weren't sure which areas to focus on. A review would help with that.

You sound like a very caring teacher, I'm sure you'll iH do well.

ssspectacular

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 8:08 pm
I'm a teacher and was also disappointed with the marks. I gave some additional work (easy) after midterm vacation and will raise their grades this way. Good Luck! It'll work out!

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 10:04 pm
No review specifically for the test.
Students seem to know the information at weekly in class reviews.
It's upsetting but hopefully will be rectified.

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 10:17 pm
Were there any circumstances that affected a lot of the class?
Was there another exam on the same day where girls directed their studying effort? Was your exam the last of all subjects and no one had slept in a week?
Was there a tragedy, R"l, that was upsetting to all the girls?
Can you check with another teacher of the same group of girls to see if this happened in other subjects?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 6:23 am
I was a student until rather recently. I'm a mom. I'm a teacher. Sometimes no one gets the passing grade. What to do? Nothing. Show them why they were wrong, explain what was misunderstood, and have them own their grade.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 9:04 am
Laiya wrote:
I disagree with those who are saying that this indicates that the students did not learn the material well enough.

It could be that the test was simply too hard. OP, did you give the class a review before the final? Maybe they weren't sure which areas to focus on. A review would help with that.

You sound like a very caring teacher, I'm sure you'll iH do well.

I agree with you; those judgments are harsh. It sounds like this was an issue with this test. Sometimes a teacher may decide to try a new format or style for a test, thinking it will be helpful, and then it doesn't work out that way. Sometimes these things are hard to foresee. Life happens, she'll work this out, the students will live.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 9:08 am
amother wrote:
How do I do this? Just add 10 points across the board?
My professors in college usually curved by setting the median grade to a B-, then calculating the standard deviation. Median plus one standard deviation was an A-, median minus one standard deviation was a C-. Other grades were set accordingly. If you want your median to be lower or higher, adjust.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics