Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are all jobs stressful?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 9:58 pm
Hi,
I'm just trying to figure out if my job is within the realm of a normal job or in the realm of a stressful job.
Do you feel your job is stressful? If so, is this just sometimes or always/often? What produces the stress - deadlines, too much work for one person, dealing with people that are not easy to deal with/you don't get along with, or something else?
I work part time and am the only person responsible for my job area/department. They could really use at least one other part time person, probably more like one full time and one-two part time. The job area/department covers a lot of different things that many larger organizations break up into pieces, and many times I feel myself pulled in a bunch of a different directions. There are times where there's a lull where I'm busy but generally managing all right, but then there's these times like now that are just so busy and stressful, where there's so much to do and I'm 'running' the whole time I'm at work and still feel like I don't have enough time to do everything etc. On top of this, part of my job is dealing with people when they are stressed out/emotionally overwrought and while most of the time they treat me respectfully (though I just had a case where they were nasty and that was really upsetting), it's still a lot of emotional venting, pressure, the world is falling apart if I don't help them this second. I'm a pretty chilled person personality wise so I'm good for this job usually - like I can be calming and keep my cool while handling all this but if it's a lot in one day it gets too much. Overall there can be a lot of pressure with deadlines, the nature of the job is that it's a lot of last minute stuff, etc
Is this just part of the normal work force? Or is this actually a pretty stressful job by normal standards?
It's only my third 'real' job after college but my other job(s) over the years have not been this stressful.
Thanks for your input!

icebreaker

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 11:18 pm
I work at a college and the most stressful times are at the beginnings of semesters. For some reason, lots of students wait until the last possible minute to do their financial aid or take care of issues they’ve known about since the previous semester. I get so many emails and have to sift through all of them, log into the system, find out what’s going on, email the student back and often, they get mad at ME because they haven’t done their financial aid. I’ve had parents call me and dealing with parents of college age students is incredibly stressful sometimes. Graduation time is also very stressful because when a student has an outstanding balance, they cannot attend graduation. And then here comes the angry student with angry parents because they waited until the very last minute to get their financial aid in order. Then I have coworkers I just don’t mesh well with and that definitely adds to my stress.

I try to mentally prepare myself but it rarely helps. So I just treat myself with chocolate or new book or something after a particularly stressful day. I try not to take work home with me, which does help.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 10:08 pm
actually, my job is also stressful such that they want me to do so many duties/responsibilities which is too much for one person. Many times I have to finish work at home. Also, my boss will email me whenever she wants during my "free time" at home, and she expects me to read the emails such that when I come into work the next morning...

I also deal with ppl. who are stressed out and sometimes take it "out on me". At this point, I am feeling very down about my job but cant leave because I need the money to pay bills. It is hard to get jobs, so I am grateful I have a job. However, I wish my job was not as stressful.

Gerbera

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 3:05 am
BH I don't find my job stressful - more boring to be honest but I do really enjoy aspects of it. It's a totally not pressured environment and I work pretty much independently at one job and at my other job I staff a reference desk so I suppose it's dependant on what I'm being asked to do and how difficult the items are to find but I love that part.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 8:32 am
I've had stressful jobs, and I've had really fun jobs. It doesn't really matter what other people think of their jobs. The important thing is to figure out how to make your job more workable.

If you find yourself with two deadlines that are both due RIGHT NOW, ask your supervisor which one you should do first. Try and see how much little stuff you can delegate in your department. Read "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" for some good organizational tips.

Don't eat lunch at your desk, and be sure to take a walk around the block whenever you get a break. If you have your own desk, get a live plant. It's been proven to reduce stress (make sure it will thrive in low light.)

When you talk to your bosses, don't come from the angle of "I'm stressed out." Rather, tell them that you want to streamline your work flow and be more efficient, and you'd like to brainstorm some ideas with them. They love talk like that, and will be more open to suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics