Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Emailing people in middle of the night?
Previous  1  2

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 10:04 pm
seeker wrote:
Why? For many people 10:30 is just normal emailing time. He got an email and answered it. If it were 2 am I'd be worried but 10 is so fine.

I guess it creeped me out that he was communicating with me during what should be family time. I felt like emailing his wife to apologize.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 10:56 pm
I think it's okay to email any time that is convenient for you. Texting... not so much

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 31 2018, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
I guess it creeped me out that he was communicating with me during what should be family time. I felt like emailing his wife to apologize.

Family time? What's that?

pastajuice

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 11:48 am
I have never thought about this, but I don't get email alerts in the middle of the night.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 12:03 pm
Instead of trying to control other ppl's irritation at receiving emails at "odd" times. It's better for the irritated person to silence their phones.

In this case, email whenever you want, don't worry about bothering the other person. They have to take care of themselves.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 12:06 pm
I wake up early and send emails and whatnot. I don't usually send text messages because many people leave those on notify in case of emergencies.

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 12:24 pm
This makes me crazy. The whole point of email and texting is that it allows us to communicate without necessarily interrupting someone. If we need to urgently reach someone, we can use that feature that still exists on some SmartPhones -- the "telephone."

Most of us set our notifications based on apps as well as individuals. My WhatsApp and email notifications are muted at night, and all my text notifications are muted except my immediate family. However, I have told my phone that while I am grateful that my package has now left Lexington, KY, I can wait until morning to read that update from Amazon. And when President Trump tweets something at 4 a.m., my phone is blissfully silent.

But if someone either can't or won't set her notifications and is disturbed by a late-night text or email, then she's doing it wrong.

Teomima

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 12:34 pm
I think it's fine. Unless you know the recipient is dealing with special circumstances (like the above-mentioned example of mothers of soldiers, or an on-call doctor, or someone with a family member in the hospital), I wouldn't think it should be a problem. Those of us with family overseas are often exchanging WhatsApps in the middle of the night due to the different time-zones and know to keep our phones on silent overnight.

Miri7

Post Thu, Feb 01 2018, 1:06 pm
You can email at any time. If a work person starts answering my emails during no work hours, I will send an email saying - no response needed now, I just wanted to get this email for you to see at work tomorrow.

I only text during hours that I’d call. If I want to get a message to anothe busy Mom during a hectic time of day - like morning rush to get ready for school, I will text because that’s less disruptive than calling.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette