Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Oily hair

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Feb 03 2018, 11:58 pm
Anyone have any ideas/advice on what type of shampoo my 9 year should use? She washes her hair every other day with either finnesse shampoo or v05 her hair ends up looking oily and not fresh by the end of the day..

imamother153

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 1:53 am
Try Pantene or tresemme. They are stronger shampoos and make the hair rather dry. Use only shampoo on the hair wash and lather twice and use conditioner only on the end hairs. Use rather warm water. Hot water Or using 2 in 1 or conditioner for the entire hair can cause it to get oily too quickly.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 4:11 am
I suffered from oily hair for many many years. I tried everything that was on the market. Use quality shampoo and always finish rinsing with coldest possible water she can stand.

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:27 am
You can buy "dry shampoo" which you spray on and it takes out the oil. Very effective and it is sold at all price points. It's even good if you don't have such oily hair to freshen it up.

What I have read is that you shouldn't use a super strong oil stripping shampoo because it just causes the oil follicles to produce more.

But as I recall, when I was younger my hair was oily and I would actually wash every night as a teenager - not in the morning because it wouldn't dry.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 10:37 am
Amarante wrote:
You can buy "dry shampoo" which you spray on and it takes out the oil. Very effective and it is sold at all price points. It's even good if you don't have such oily hair to freshen it up.

What I have read is that you shouldn't use a super strong oil stripping shampoo because it just causes the oil follicles to produce more.

But as I recall, when I was younger my hair was oily and I would actually wash every night as a teenager - not in the morning because it wouldn't dry.

THIS. I had horribly oily hair as a child and young teen. My hair always looked limp and wet, no matter what I did. I don't think shampoos were that great back then, or my parents just didn't know what to do. I think dry shampoo would have helped immensely.

Fortunately I outgrew the problem at 14, when my hormones leveled out.

You are such a good mom for being on top of this! I know so many girls who suffer because their moms don't know how to take care of their growing kids needs (deodorant, etc.)

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 11:00 am
I had very oily hair as a teenager too and outgrew it eventually. The only thing that helped was washing my hair every day (even though that may have exacerbated the problem long term).

sunshine5

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 11:46 am
Thanks all for your replies... I will try them all.. Thanks FF for your encouragement about being a good Mom, sounds petty but these words of praise actually mean alot to me. I know im bh a mother and these things are part of being a mother but somehow it feels good to hear it.. ...

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 12:37 pm
I had this problem.

Best solution:

Periodically, like once a month or when you see the hair is getting very oily again, do a hot oil treatment. Or even just slather the scalp with lotion and then heavy condition all over hair. Leave it for several hours, if she will let. Minumim half hour.

Then shower and wash as normal.

That ALWAYS worked. Also, have her rotate shampoos every week or so.

my mama

Post Sun, Feb 04 2018, 12:44 pm
I found that used coffee grounds in addition to shampoo (coffee grounds mixed into the shampoo) rinsed well in cool water kept my hair dry for the longest. I did it before 3 day yom tov and my hair stayed relatively dry in the last day
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children