Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this a strange request?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:25 pm
I have been asked by a recruitment agency for internships to go to their office to record a video CV. This, they say, will be sent to the employer alongside my (written) CV. This, apparently, is their policy and on the website which is a legitimate one, are the video CV's of candidates.
There is a role which the woman I spoke to on the phone says she will put me forward for - she just wants me to go in and record the video CV first. The role sounds good and everything, I just find the whole video CV thing a litte strange.

It would involve speaking to the camera for 1 minute about my background and competencies that I could bring to the role. A bit like a short cover letter to complement the written CV but in a video form.

As I don't feel comfortable naturally in front of a camera, I find the thought of it quite daunting, but I would like to explicitly state to the lady that I would not want this video to be put on the website. I just find that embarrassing and would not want anyone to be able to see the video online. I feel it is a perfectly legitimate request to ask her to send it only to an employer but NOT to put it up on the website. She might not agree though, as all the other candidates' videos seem to be there. Therefore, I have decided to email her this request before the meeting - if she says she no I won't go to save both of our time.

However, I spoke to a friend about it, and she says the whole thing is a little odd. Do they really need this video CV? Could an employer not have enough information with just the written CV? I'm not really sure why they need to see the candidate first.

What do you think? Sorry for the long post and thank you very much for reading Smile

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
I have been asked by a recruitment agency for internships to go to their office to record a video CV. This, they say, will be sent to the employer alongside my (written) CV. This, apparently, is their policy and on the website which is a legitimate one, are the video CV's of candidates.
There is a role which the woman I spoke to on the phone says she will put me forward for - she just wants me to go in and record the video CV first. The role sounds good and everything, I just find the whole video CV thing a litte strange.

It would involve speaking to the camera for 1 minute about my background and competencies that I could bring to the role. A bit like a short cover letter to complement the written CV but in a video form.

As I don't feel comfortable naturally in front of a camera, I find the thought of it quite daunting, but I would like to explicitly state to the lady that I would not want this video to be put on the website. I just find that embarrassing and would not want anyone to be able to see the video online. I feel it is a perfectly legitimate request to ask her to send it only to an employer but NOT to put it up on the website. She might not agree though, as all the other candidates' videos seem to be there. Therefore, I have decided to email her this request before the meeting - if she says she no I won't go to save both of our time.

However, I spoke to a friend about it, and she says the whole thing is a little odd. Do they really need this video CV? Could an employer not have enough information with just the written CV? I'm not really sure why they need to see the candidate first.

What do you think? Sorry for the long post and thank you very much for reading Smile

Sorry forgot to mention: I have never been asked this before - written CV and cover letter has always been enough.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:35 pm
I have never heard of this before. Unless your job involves customer service or presenting info at meetings, conferences, etc. I can't imagine how it would be relevant.

I do think it would be a really good way to discriminate against people based on appearance, before they ever get to read your CV or interview you in person.

Fat, black, older than 35, have an accent, any of those things could be held against you, and they could just say "not a good fit for our company." I can imagine a TON of lawsuits coming out of this.

There are many more headhunters out there in the world. I'd reach out to other companies before I'd agree to a video.

FTR, I'm not the least bit shy about cameras. I just think this whole thing sounds wrong.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 3:35 pm
I think your request is fine. It’s somewhat strange but if you are looking for a job you don’t have much leverage, and it doesn’t seem like something unreasonable. Good luck

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 6:52 pm
Ive been interviewed like this before
Yes, a video of me answering questions.
I hated it, felt very self conscious & I did a horrible job of showing prospective employer my true self. I did not get the job btw.

Boca00

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 7:05 pm
It's an interesting idea as it allows the company to have a better idea of what you are like. But it's really only effective if you are comfortable in front of the camera.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask that your profile say, "video available upon request".

oliveoil

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 10:24 pm
You can request it, but if that's the way they do things, be aware that it will put you at a disadvantage.

simba

Post Mon, Feb 05 2018, 11:01 pm
As someone who is in an hiring position I do request video responses to a few quick questions. It saves me a lot of time in sifting through the many that come in.
Some people ask me to consider their resume without a video and I will, it I just is not the same.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics