Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Torn - need the income but toddler isn't adapting

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:26 pm
I recently (1 month ago) started a full time job after working part time last year and then being unemployed for a few months. I feel like my 2.5yo toddler isn't adapting well to her new full day at Playgroup schedule. She's kvetchy (often tantrummy), contrary, unhappy, and sometimes downright impossible when I pick her up.

I feel so torn, but we really need the 2nd income...

Any advice? Words or wisdom?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:38 pm
My 2 year old is the same except I know he has a great day!! What I learned 1)feed your child a good filling breakfast and enough to drink in morning 2)offer nutritious early dinner and again drinks 3) give child lots of hugs and kisses after you pick up kid 4) give some attention, read child a book daily or sit on floor and play something together
Does your child talk? Does child get a good night sleep? Is child skipping a well needed nap?
Will child benefit from therapy services? Not really sure. ..don't know your kid!

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:38 pm
Sounds like o typical day in my life (with my most turned 3 year old)

How are the teachers saying that she is doing when you aren't there? To me that's a better indicator of her adjustment

creditcards

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:48 pm
Is she happy to go? Does it sound like she likes the teacher? You might need to find a new place for her.

Last edited by creditcards on Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

alis_al_kulana

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:54 pm
Had similar experience. The play group was not the right match for my toddlers personality. He needed a warm, loving , emotionally aware environment that was not heavy on academics.
He's thriving in a different play group. Much warmer, very sensitive to kid's feelings.

Children have personality and get along better with some ppl than others just like we do as adults.

I suggest you try a different place for this child. My son is still tired in the afternoon but it's a happy tired and he's happy to go to play group. He does get cranky but no where near as much

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:54 pm
creditcards wrote:
Is she happy to go? Does it sound like she likes the teacher? You might need to find a we place for her.

She loved the playgroup and the morahs before I worked full time-it's only lately that she sometimes doesn't want to go.

alis_al_kulana

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:56 pm
In that case maybe she needs more attention at home.

creditcards

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 9:57 pm
amother wrote:
She loved the playgroup and the morahs before I worked full time-it's only lately that she sometimes doesn't want to go.

Did her nap or eating schedule change?
That can make a huge difference. Is she getting enough food and sleep?

keym

Post Tue, Feb 06 2018, 10:01 pm
I would look into nap schedules at the playgroup. Ime, sometimrs the teachers phase out the naps by 2.5 years. Now for a kid going home at 2 or 3, thats managable. But for a kid going home at 5, its torture. Kid is absolutely exhausted and not getting enough sleep at night (for his daily needs) so starts off the day tired and groggy.

As an aside, why was the OP reported?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics