Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3 yr old still waking up every night?
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 8:11 am
So I'm trying to get my 1 yr old to join his 3 yr old brother at night, only problem is that my 3 yr old is the one getting up every night .Any ideas to get my 3 yr old to sleep through the night? TIA

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 8:37 am
Why is he waking up?

Moonlight

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 8:40 am
What does he do when he gets up? Does he stay in his room? Wake others up? Go to bathroom ?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 07 2018, 9:09 am
op here
so once it will be for a drink, once for the bathroom, many times cuz his skin is dry and itchy, (and yes, I tried every cream possible......) and other times its just plain...
And he is still in a crib so he just cries until I come and wakes up his brother on the way...

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 9:25 am
so last night I figured out that when my 3 yr old wakes up, it is not BECAUSE of anything. He is just looking for excuses ONCE HE IS ALREADY UP. He woke up last night and had no idea what he wanted. When I offered him that maybe he is cold, he nodded and I closed the window and he was back asleep. Later in the night he woke up that he has a "boo boo". When I repeatedly told him to be quiet, he switched gears and said he needs to use the bathroom. This got dh to go and take him. All this makes me think that he is not actually waking up BECAUSE he needs to use the bathroom, rather he is waking up for whatever reason I don not know, and then thinks of excuses to get his dear mother to come to him. Did anyone have such an experience?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 9:31 am
I'm a sleep coach and this is one of the most common things parents deal with. Most of the time, the issue is behavioral and with a consistent response, the wake ups stop.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 9:58 am
Is he consistently dry every single night? If not, it could be the process of figuring out how to recognize body cues. With DD, she'd wake up and fuss. I'd put her on the toilet, she'd go right away, and then straight back to bed. No talking, unless I needed to and I used a very quiet and soft voice. Tuck in, and leave the room.

Try limiting liquids in the evening, and no bottles or sippy cups in the crib. Needing the bathroom may be confusing him and waking him up too much.

Even as DD got older, she used to sleep walk, especially if she was getting sick or was overtired. She'd try to talk to me, and I'd say "Do you need to pee?" She'd walk to the bathroom, go, and then get back in bed. The next morning she wouldn't remember a thing!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:01 am
yes, but how may times a night can a person go to the bathroom. He didnt drink before bed and woke up twice...eventually landing up in the bathroom bec that was the only way we went into to him..."I need to use the bathroom" and whoops mommy and totty come running...!!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
yes, but how may times a night can a person go to the bathroom. He didnt drink before bed and woke up twice...eventually landing up in the bathroom bec that was the only way we went into to him..."I need to use the bathroom" and whoops mommy and totty come running...!!!!

When he goes, does he actually produce anything, or is he just sitting there enjoying the attention? That's the tricky part.

Try limiting liquids several hours before bedtime, and make sure he goes right before he gets in bed. That should help cut it down at least. If not, then you need to be firm about him staying in bed.

Does he have any quiet toys he can play with in his crib until he gets sleepy again? I would tell him "You don't have to sleep, but you DO have to stay in bed, and not wake up the baby."

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:10 am
Also, the LEAST sympathetic parent should be the one to go to him, consistently. Whichever one of you is the most firm and matter of fact should be designated to deal with him. He wants the other parent? Too bad.

"It's sleepy time, and it's Ima's time to get some sleep. Ima works very hard all day, and now she needs to rest. Ima will see you in the morning!"

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:10 am
Sounds like it’s time for a toddler bed. He can go to the bathroom himself. Leave him a cup of water at night if he needs. Warning: it might get worse before it gets better.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:17 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Warning: it might get worse before it gets better.

Yep. Next threads by OP:

3yo always climbing in our bed.
3yo raiding the kitchen
3yo poking the baby
Where did you buy your baby gate?

LOL LOL LOL Welcome to motherhood. LOL LOL LOL

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:35 am
I remember hearing somewhere that waking up in the middle of the night could be a protein deficiency

Beingreal

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 10:37 am
Can it be sleep apnea? My 6 year old has mild and he used to get up at night.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a sleep coach and this is one of the most common things parents deal with. Most of the time, the issue is behavioral and with a consistent response, the wake ups stop.

yay! A sleep coach on board! So what would you recommend?

Moonlight

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 12:02 pm
What if u give him a one time use pass. U can wake mommy up once. You are not allowed to wake me twice.

sirel

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:47 pm
Op, my kids tend to have dry skin, and it is much worse at night. I don't know why, but something about nighttime makes them itchy and uncomfortable.

But I am pretty sure that's the reason he's waking up.

I give them anti histamines to help with the itch and then they sleep.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:54 pm
My three year old is an all round awful sleeper. My older and younger kids are great its just something about him that he really struggles with this area of life. I find melatonin helps him tremendously with falling asleep. I am going to talk to his ped about seeing if we can test him for a deficiency. I have been told some kids just dont make enough on their own. For the waking up, our next stop is an ENT to rule out sleep apnea. If all of my kids had a hard time sleeping I would blame myself for not setting routines or having proper structure but when only one kid is struggling I think there are deeper issues such as either fear or physical issues.

keym

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:08 pm
sirel wrote:
Op, my kids tend to have dry skin, and it is much worse at night. I don't know why, but something about nighttime makes them itchy and uncomfortable.

But I am pretty sure that's the reason he's waking up.

I give them anti histamines to help with the itch and then they sleep.

About this, my kids allergist recommended switching daily claritin to 7pm instead of 7 am. It took a few days but the absent sleepy itching that wasnt letting their skin heal got so much better.
And if youre giving daily claritin, you dont have to give additional benadryl. Worth looking into.

sirel

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:12 pm
keym wrote:
About this, my kids allergist recommended switching daily claritin to 7pm instead of 7 am. It took a few days but the absent sleepy itching that wasnt letting their skin heal got so much better.
And if youre giving daily claritin, you dont have to give additional benadryl. Worth looking into.

I will, thanks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics