Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If you were successful at sleep training, please help me!

LO

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 11:26 am
Hi all,

First of all, please lets not have this turn into a discussion on the pros and cons of sleep training.....I just need advice with my specific situation.

I worked with Batya the Baby Coach for 6 weeks to train my 5 month old, just recently finished. We saw a lot of improvement and he is sleeping nicer at night than he ever did. However, in the last week or so he regressed, and based on her advice I have to go back and gradually phase myself out again - first stay in the room when he cries, then out, etc.

I am finding this very hard. I was prepared for some crying during the training period, but it seems like I will have to repeat the process any time he teethes, gets sick, we go away, etc.

SO MY QUESTION IS: If you were successful with sleep training, please tell me:

1. How did you train.
2. how long did it take?
3. How did you handle illness, travel, etc?
4. Did the situation get better once the baby got older and stopped teething?

Please give me whatever advice you can, as I am so emotionally drained now....I do see the improvement and I don't want to regress on the progress made so far, I just need the encouragement that he will be ok and I will be ok and he will learn how to sleep soon....

THANKS!

LO

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:26 pm
Bump. Anyone???

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:30 pm
Teething is always the excuse so you can't let it stop you from continuing the routine. You just have to let them cry eventually they will fall asleep. it takes a few night but once the baby is on a schedule it will be loads easier!

LO

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:44 pm
Yeah, I don't think it's the issue right now because he is fine during the day, may be just a bit cranky. But then at night, he wakes up at about the same time, which I know means it's out of habit....Plus he cried bloody murder at bedtime last night....

I guess I just want to hear that once he is trained, these crying spells will decrease.....Please share your experiences...

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 1:57 pm
My daughter cried so hard at night at the same time each night. I was feeding her then so to eliminate that feed I cut it down slowly once it reached like 2 minutes I let her cry it out for a few nights. BH she is now excellent at night, teething but talks when up instead of crying bc she knows it is the night. This is all bli ayin hara but her first tooth just cut through. Good luck!

rgr

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:06 pm
This forum has a lot of resources that are fascinating regarding sleep training.
Check out this link.
https://babywhispererforums.co.....809.0

bsy

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:08 pm
I used Batya at 9-10 months and overall was very successful. Babies aren't machines and they never just stay the same. But it becomes so much more manageable when you get back on track after a few days of travel or teething or sickness etc.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:49 pm
a) five months is really very early

b) yes, it's normal to have to re-train after all those things - sick, off schedule, teethings.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 2:59 pm
I'm a sleep coach and, in my experience, at 5 months sleep is still evolving for many babies. Some children have more sensitive temperaments and illnesses, disruption in routine, developmental leaps etc will necessitate a sort of mini-coaching but I think once your baby is a little older (6,7 months), it's more likely to be smoother.

LO

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 7:49 pm
Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement! I think Hashem had rachomonus on me today because he fell asleep without crying...

Any suggestions on how to make the return to routine smoother?

Thanks again, and please share more of your experience!!

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 08 2018, 7:56 pm
Some children take much longer to sleep train than others. Many children are good sleepers, and others don't sleep well until they're teenagers:)

Strong willed children take longer usually, but eventually they figure out the program, even if they still cry it out for a few minutes before bedtime. Other children sleep train within a few days or a week. But yes, there's always regression and recovery when it comes to babies and sleep training.

When my very young children felt ill and asked to sleep in my room for the night, I usually allow. That's not great for sleep training. Once they recover I explain and reexplain that now that they are BH better, they can go back to their own room. I think it's better for the child to be close to us and have us there as security when they don't feel well. The additional benefit is we can watch them during the night and easily provide water or whatever they need. Eventually children get back on track with the sleep routine.

In terms of traveling, we try to go to bed when our children do and wake up with them. And of course nap during the day on their schedule. You've just got to plan your schedule around theirs when traveling.

Teething is a hurdle to overcome while sleep training. In this case I've found that if they are only 'whining it out,' so long as they aren't hysterically crying, they go back to sleep. If they are really crying I will give them a bottle, change their diaper and put them back to bed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics