Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cannot handle son's twitches
1  2  Next

mother4

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 12:39 am
My son 10-1/2 started doing this horrible twitch. He opens his nose holes and twists his mouth sideways. Me & my daughter were mortified when he started. He claimed that his nose is stuffed... I know its said best to ignore it, but its been few days and I feel like I cant look at him.....he looks crazy. Im dreading if it will become habit or tourettes syndrome...can I still help if caught early on? Or should I ignore? How long can it last if it's just a tic?

happyone

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 1:39 am
One of my children were found insane eye blinking and twiching. I too freaked out. One visit to doc determined it was due to allergy. In two days eyes drops resolved the issue. First go to a doc before thinking the worst. Allergy, pandas, sinuses etc can be the culprit.

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 2:38 am
Many children go through a phase where they develop facial tics or twitches. If it persists, have him see a pediatric neurologist. It may be a mild form of Tourette's.

Don't chastise him or make him feel bad about it. He can't help it, and he's probably self-conscious enough as it is.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 2:44 am
My kids have had various twitches. Baruch hashem they all pass. I think I even posted here once, asking for advice.
They included:
twisting their fingers all around each other.
An annoying throat clearing habit.
Opening up eyes really wide.
Scrunching up nose.
Often they just go away if you ignore it. But I know, it's REALLY hard, and it looks horrible.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 2:56 am
If his nose is stuffed, have you tried anything to resolve it? humidifiers, hot baths, nasal decongestants or allergy medication?
Have you checked him for an allergy?
I would take him to an ENT and see if his tonsils/adenoids are inflamed... I know a few kids who were getting them removed because it was blocking their airway. Which might be an issue if he is trying to do something that gets more air in.

I would try to ignore the twitch but say that if you are uncomfortable we should try X, Y, or Z. Dont make him self conscious but also try to resolve it. If you notice then others probably do and you don't want him teased.

mother4

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 3:09 am
Yes, his nose is stuffed and he blamed it on that (when my daughter commented)
I really wonder if telling him to try not to do, would prevent him...
He used to blink his eyes...

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 4:41 am
He doesn’t do it because his nose is stuffed! That’s just his excuse!
He CANNOT help himself and you are not right to get nervous at him.

Try to ignore (it’s very hard, especially when you get comments from peopl). It will pass I promise.

Sometimes, when my son is really twitching bad, I tell him nicely, please try to calm your face a bit. Take a deep breath and relax.

heidi

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:19 am
I've had three sons do this. The twitchy period lasted between 2-4 months. By which time I was ready to kill them (or myself). It all ended on its own. I'm sorry OP, I know it's awful. But unless there is some sort of underlying issue, it will pass iyH.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 7:33 am
I’ve had tics throughout my life lasting through adulthood. The only thing that helps is the heeby jeeby kinesiology stuff. The whole thing is as weird as it comes but it’s all that helps. I’ve tried everything else. I wouldn’t run if it just started, def wait it out unless he says it bothers him.

myself

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:01 am
Before you jump to any conclusions, try saline nasal drops.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:50 am
Check for pandas. It can do that

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:06 am
I had the same issue with my son op. It was PANDAS and bh dissapeared with the right antibiotics

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:13 am
This website is obsessed with PANDAS, just saying.

My son developed a twitch during a trauma, and it did not go away until is PTSD was treated.

mother4

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:55 am
Its not PANDAS- according to symptoms on Dr. Google
He has no learning disabilities, or OCD, or trauma. He had a lot of added stress this year due to the increased hours and earlier bus timing. He is also very overpowered by his big sister.
I never have tried therapy for myself or kids, but I am resorting that he will probably benefit from some type of therapy.

giselle

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 10:30 am
I have a lot of experience with this, if you’d like to pm me

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:13 am
mother4 wrote:
Its not PANDAS- according to symptoms on Dr. Google
He has no learning disabilities, or OCD, or trauma. He had a lot of added stress this year due to the increased hours and earlier bus timing. He is also very overpowered by his big sister.
I never have tried therapy for myself or kids, but I am resorting that he will probably benefit from some type of therapy.

Please don’t decide that it’s not PANDAS based on google. It usually doesn’t present itself neatly according to a list. The only way to know is through blood work.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:24 am
I don't think this site is "obsessed" with PANDAS. Before I joined, I'd never heard of it, and DD had non stop strep for all of kindergarten and half of first grade. Our doctor never mentioned it once. After getting her tonsils out and a round of antibiotics, she was a completely new kid, so sweet and loving! No more whining and non stop tantrums.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen a post that says "What is PANDAS?" so obviously a lot of moms here have never heard of it. I think awareness is a good thing.

I do think it's a good idea to check out all possible causes of a nervous tic. Allergies are the easiest to rule out. Therapy is a good idea. PANDAS is worth getting the blood test, just to be sure.

G-d willing it's nothing to worry about, but if it is, your son deserves to have it addressed as soon as possible, instead of suffering and hoping it will go away. If he starts getting bullied about it at school, it will only make things worse.

amother
White

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 11:30 am
mother4 wrote:
Yes, his nose is stuffed and he blamed it on that (when my daughter commented)
I really wonder if telling him to try not to do, would prevent him...
He used to blink his eyes...

No that will actually make it worse.
Your daughter should definitely NOT say anything about it. It's none of her business.
Go to the doctor. It may be tourettes.. it may be pandas..
it may be anxiety from the new schedule.. in which case he can go to therapy to learn how to handle it.

yogabird

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 12:23 pm
Tics are involuntary so hard as it is to watch, try not to make him feel bad about it. There is always a biological cause for tics, and until you figure out what it is, magnesium, NAC, and robitussin (or other cough medicine with same active ing) round the clock can help alleviate symptoms.

shiaeisen

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
He doesn’t do it because his nose is stuffed! That’s just his excuse!
He CANNOT help himself and you are not right to get nervous at him.

Try to ignore (it’s very hard, especially when you get comments from peopl). It will pass I promise.

Sometimes, when my son is really twitching bad, I tell him nicely, please try to calm your face a bit. Take a deep breath and relax.

I’m not sure how you can promise her he will stop. I would imagine only a doctor could diagnose,
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics