Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is it worth to homeschool for 4 months...

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 5:53 pm
ds will be graduating 6th grade at the end of the year and then off to a different school for middle school. ds is unhappy in school. Class is noisy, can be rude, he doesn't enjoy one of the ways his teachers is teaching(we agree with him on that point). He has three teachers one judaics, who never ever seems to get to chumash and only does gemarah and comes up with all kinds of prize systems to motivate the kids to do extra outside learning. (ds is not motivated by this), if he found something interesting then he will come home and talk about it with his older brothers and dh and will be eager to learn more. He is not challenged in math or science which is the noisiest class and English/geography is just killing him. He just read the novel Frankenstein on his own and understood it and can discuss themes and conflicts in the story, so it not that he has issues with reading, just this teacher is not his style and he is not growing. He calls school drudgery. I feel he is getting dumber if that is possible. Its like they say about summer vacation, that kids lose ground if they don't keep up with review. He comes home so frustrated and I don't see any growth. He is a smart kid, but also one of those out of the box kids with the huge vocabulary and dead pan jokes, hysterically funny, and just a bit nerdy and sometimes like an absent minder professor. I spoke with the teachers and principal and they don't understand his frustration and they think he is leaning new information. Well I guess if you have never learned about volcanoes and someone teaches you about volcanoes then yeh- you have learned something, but if last year you could take that information and write a five paragraph essay about it and this year its like pulling teeth then no you are not learning.
My degree is in electuaryn education and although I have not been in the classroom for a while I know something is off.
I have no problem homeschooling him and actually he may be a happier kid, although I don't think he realizes how much work he would have.
I find this year so far to be a waste. The one argument one could give me is the social. He is a homebody and does need the social aspect otherwise I think he will still be living in my basement until he is 40.
After 6 years with this class he can name 2 friends, but he always is the one to call them. I give him credit because he does call other kids in the class, but it never works out. No one ever seems to call here , except when we bought him a cheap a drone for Chanukah and then some kids seemed to show up. The drone broke and that was the end of anyone showing up.
I know from the teachers that his classmates don't dislike him and they all choose him to be their partner for work activities, so he doesn't feel like they don't like him.
In short the social the way it is now is not benefitting him now anyway.
Do I pull him and at least I know he will learn something.
Let him manage until the end of the year- have a graduation and all that fun that comes with that but take the chance that he becomes more and more negative about education. And have my tongue bleed from biting it every time the English teacher does something that I totally disagree with..

(He wrote an essay for the class newspaper why homeschool is better than brick and mortar and had some valid points.)
I already spoke with the financial guy at the school to see if we would be penalized and would owe money if we pulled him early and he said, that would be a shame he is a great kid, and its only a few more months, can't we stick it out. But if you're miserable, not learning anything and have few friends- why bother sticking it out a few months can be an eternity.
by the way- I did ask the questions to see if he was being bullied and all the answers lead to know- he actually asked me if I was psychoanalyzing him!
Am I nuts???

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:00 pm
I'm not opposed to homeschooling for 4 months but I think in this situation he should push through until the end of the year.
You don't want to set a precedent of quitting when it's uncomfortable. Changing schools schools permanently at the start of a new year if it's the right fit is the right move but stopping school mid year to homeschool for a couple of months can give him the wrong idea.

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 6:02 pm
I think you should supplement if you don't think he is getting a good education because it is so close to graduation and a better transition to middle school. Your son won't have any social contact. It is better if he maintains what he has. He isn't being bullied. You would need to establish friendships with other home schoolers. That is not easy to do when elementary school is ending soon.

Would you be willing to home school the rest of his school career? Four months doesn't make sense to me unless your child unless it was urgent you remove him from where he is learning now.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 8:43 pm
I homeschool. And am VERY pro homeschooling.

Homeschooling for 4 months is tough. There is normally an adjustment to homeschooling (we call deschooling) that can be between 1-6 MONTHS (typically 1-2) during these first couple months we actually encourage new homeschoolers NOT to do active book work and to explor interest, do trips, learn to “be bored” etc. - during this time a lot of learning HAPPEN we just don’t encourage book work but or scheduled work because you need an adjustment period.

I would say if he is happy, not being bullied etc. leave him. If you want to take him out the focus on hands on fun learning, at least for the first month. Museums, trips, cooking, etc.

It’s reallt hard to just jump into homeschooling.

If you want more info or support feel free to PM me

octopus

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 9:06 pm
I don't know how long his day at school is, but I would also echo other posters to supplement. There are websites geared for homeschooling and you can sign him up for a course to supplement his education. The really bright kids that enjoy being challenged usually can handle a heavier load. The lesson in all of this, is while school is sometimes boring, we all have to do things that are downright not enjoyable sometimes. Tell him you can empathize, you can even tell him he just has to get through these 4 months, but make it a lesson in not quitting.

penguin

Post Sun, Feb 11 2018, 10:58 pm
Other considerations aside (you may have mentioned, I just skimmed as it's past my bedtime) I would make sure the school for next year won't look negatively at your decision I.e. consider him to have 'left school', 'not finished the year' etc. And you may never be able to prove conclusively that he wasn't asked to leave.

Homeschooling could be a euphemism for any of the above, in some cases.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 11:08 pm
https://melamedacademy.com/

Online school k-12
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics