Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Recommendation for new mixer

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:44 am
Looks like my sunbeam mixer of 26 years does not want make Hamanatschen dough and is ready to retire. Would love to hear advice on what new stand mixer to purchase and what to stay away from before investing a lot of money. Pros and cons please. In the meantime going to buy a cheap hand held mixer to get me through Purim!

Momof14

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 6:54 am
Do you do a lot of doughs? The Bosch can take up to 5 lbs (2.5 kilos) at a time and it's comfortable to use, easy to add ingredients in middle of mixing. But, I do miss having handles on the bowl like the kitchen aid has and the new Bosches are not as strong as the old ones. But I like my Bosch and it faithfully churns out many yummy calories.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:00 am
I do more cookies and cakes. My sunbeam could never handle a challah dough all the way through so I would end up having to clean the mixer and do the rest by hand for a challah dough and just do dough the old fashioned way. If I had a mixer that could handle dough that would be great!

Momof14

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:19 am
A very important point that I forgot before is to that Bosch mixers come in different wattage strengths. Actually the nicer looking designs are lower wattage and therefore the motor is less strong . However the stronger ones come now in black and they are much nicer than the white ones. Bhatzlacha!

Teomima

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:31 am
I have no complaints about my good old KitchenAid.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 7:58 am
I love my Bosch but it's expensive if you don't need it for challah dough too.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:01 am
ra_mom wrote:
I love my Bosch but it's expensive if you don't need it for challah dough too.

Same here.

real israeli

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 8:03 am
I have a Bosch and kitchenaid. Bosch is better for challa because it has a stronger motor and can make the dough easily (my recipe is 6 lbs flour and it works just fine). However it is much harder to clean than the kitchenaid - I originally had just the Bosch but found myself debating whether to use it and deciding not to due to the difficulty cleaning it. So I bought a kitchenaid. Great for cakes and cookie doughs and an absolute pleasure to clean

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:34 am
Bosch. I’ve had the others.I wore out three kitchen aids in six years. For me, there is no other kind than Busch. More expense up front. Less expense and frustration long term.

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:36 am
Another vote for Bosch!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 10:45 am
I’ve been doing research on this topic.

Bosch motor is 800 Watts

Kitchen aid - there are many different ones from 325 to 725 Watts

A handheld mixer is anywhere from 250-375

The Braun food processor is 600 Watts!

I think the motor strength is significantly important.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 11:19 am
Looks like from I reading more people prefer bosch, but its a pain to clean and expensive. And I guess comparing wattage and motors is important. Does the Bosch work ok for lighter doughs /cookies cakes?

MommyM

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 11:26 am
The magic mill is amazing for doughs (and does cakes and cookies too), but its also really expensive.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 13 2018, 1:03 pm
Love the bosch. 6lb challah np...hard to clean? Idk...I unscrew the bottom its simpler that way. I wash as soon as I'm done so it doesn't harden. I have kitchen aid collecting dust
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen