Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rosh Yeshiva and Family

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 30 2007, 9:35 am
So I found out that my son's rosh yeshiva spends even shabbos with the boys and walks home (quite a distance) to his family after shabbos morning davening - I find it very horrific ... these boys need to learn that mishpacha is important and valued inasmuch as learning and torah !!!

Motek

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 6:46 pm
You mean he does not sleep at home Friday night? Sounds mighty peculiar.

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 8:30 pm
peculiar to say the least shock

Clarissa

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 8:47 pm
Do any of the other parents find this strange? I sure would.

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 9:28 pm
Is there no dorm counselor? Confused

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 10:02 pm
honestly I'm so far away I realize I hardly know enough info ...

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 3:36 am
greenfire wrote:
So I found out that my son's rosh yeshiva spends even shabbos with the boys and walks home (quite a distance) to his family after shabbos morning davening - I find it very horrific ... these boys need to learn that mishpacha is important and valued inasmuch as learning and torah !!!

How often do the kids come home? If its every 2 weeks then this is not end of the world for me. My boys' RY lives in a different town and cannot go home every night. But he takes the 2 hr bus ride most days. There is a time for mesirus nefesh for chinuch. I can't say your situation because I don't know the needs of the boys and I don't know the RY.

We once had a 1st grade melamed who stayed here all week long and went home only for Shabbos. He did this for 2 years to help a far out place build a cheder. He was an older man who had been married for many years and he did it until he passed away. I feel privilrged that my son had him as a teacher. He was the old style chassidishe melamed who saw yiras shamayim as the major goal of chinuch.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:50 am
I don't understand? The rosh yeshiva sleeps at the dorm? The bachurim sleep at the rosh yeshiva's house?
I've heard of bachurim sleeping at another bachur's house because being in family is "boring" Rolling Eyes or staying together in the dorm (instead of going home) for the same reason, but nothing involving a rosh yeshiva.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 1:12 pm
Imaonwheels wrote:
My boys' RY lives in a different town and cannot go home every night.

We once had a 1st grade melamed who stayed here all week long and went home only for Shabbos.

The issue here, as I see it, is he is not home FRIDAY NIGHT. I've heard of people in chinuch as well as businessmen etc. not being home during the week, the peddler/salesman who was away all week, but generally, they came home for Shabbos. Especially a rosh yeshiva who is presumably a talmid chacham, who is enjoined to spend Friday nights with his wife.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 2:52 pm
Why doesn't the yeshiva give the RY's family an apartment on Shabbos in if he feels it is necessary to be with the boys? That is probably the best solution.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 01 2007, 2:57 pm
I'm really trying to make heads or tales ... this guy started this yeshiva ... fairly new ... older boys 18ish ... last year my son said he went home despite the long distance travel 450 miles each way every shabbos ... and now that he is closer to home 4 miles ... he walks home shabbos afternoon ... I don't get it ... neither does he ... still waiting to find out more ... What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics