Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
OT versus OTA???

ocean blue

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 10:24 am
My dd is looking at her options for college. She is really interested by the field of OT but the schooling is long and intense. The schooling for OTA is only 2 years. Anyone knows what's the difference between the two as far as finding jobs, pay, etc. Can she then go on to become an OT? Really appreciate any feedback!!!

relish

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 10:34 am
OT can work on their own, do evaluations, and work for the board of education. The pay rate is higher. They can supervise Cotas and overall have more opportunities.

OTAs have less work opportunities, and in some areas, the pay is significantly lower. In NYC, if she was going to work in E.I., it would be very worth her while to start as an OTA. The pay is about $10 less than a OTR/L per 1/2 hour session.

There is a cota school in New Jersey, near the oranges, that may be able to give you more information. I can't remember the name or exact location. It's been a while since I last spoke to them. The faculty there seems the most informed on this whole subject.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 11:14 am
The salary difference can be very significant. If she has the drive to go through the schooling but money is an issue you have to figure out if it's worth taking student loans to cover the cost of living to be able to earn the higher salary.
Where I live most OTA jobs are in nursing homes and hospitals working with the elderly. Only OTs can do early intervention and most schools only hire an OT.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 11:30 am
My sister is currently in school for OTA. While it is an approximately 2 year program most of the bridge programs to advance from an OTA to an OT are weekend programs and therefore not an option for someone frum. My sister has said that if she knew that information from the onset she would have enrolled in a proper OT program.

ocean blue

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 9:59 am
That explains why the college was not giving me a clear answer! But my dd is really not ready to go to school for more than two years at this point. How intense is the OTA program? and what's the job market like?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics