Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Urgent- allergy-friendly non-fridgerated food for meals

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 1:49 pm
We're going away for shabbos (this shabbos) a family event and found out we may not have a way to refrigerate food (it's a long story, please don't just suggest we try to work this part out) - due to allergies, the catered food isn't an option (due to anaphylaxis).

What can we bring to cover 3 meals that doesn't need refrigeration? She's allergic to fish (so no canned tuna or anything like that) and nuts (so no tree nuts or peanut butter) and some other things. She's also picky - she won't eat any bread (or anything resembling bread), even if there's nothing else to eat.

All ideas welcome.

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 1:51 pm
Beef jerky or beef sticks?

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 1:54 pm
This going to sound insane but it worked out well. I was once stuck in a hotel without a fridge and we filled the whole bathtub with ice and it was able to keep at least some food cold.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 2:01 pm
What are her favorite food that can bear some non refrigeration?
How old is she? Is she young enough that she doesn't need meat? Heck I know some children (know as in gave them birth to them) who would be fine with yogurt and cheese sticks. Bring a placemat as a siman that she is eating milchig and be done with it.

With such an allergy, I am surprised she can even be at the same table as all of the allergens being served.

Even without refrigeration, do you at least have access to ice packs and a mini cooler?

emzod42

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 2:09 pm
cereal and shelf-stable milk (or soy/rice milk)
if you can refrigerate/cooler, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, string cheese (this lasts a while nonrefrigerated too)
cut veggies
fruit (apples, bananas, clementines)
crackers
canned chickpeas/bean salad

anonymrs

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 3:11 pm
Can you be more specific about the other allergens? Also, knowing her age might be helpful.
What does she normally like to eat?

Rice cakes and peanut/sun butter
Nuts
Single serving apple sauce
bananas
dried fruit
plain cereal
Can you use cooler with icepack? Vacuum packed deli meat should be fine in there for a while.
I once brought a crockpot to a hotel and made cholent for my daughter in our hotel room. I prepared the cholent in a container and just dumped it in when we got there. Can you do that?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 4:24 pm
Beef jerky
Beef sticks
A whole salami
Applesauce squeezies
Fruit cups
Cereal
Individual box drinks of soy milk that don't need refrigeration until they're opened

Some things need light refrigeration and can stay fresh with an ice box and ice cubes for 24 hours even when the ice melts but box stays closed.
Pasta
Hard eggs
String cheese or other cheeses
Cheese snack
Rice salad

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 4:26 pm
If she is really picky she might not like string cheese once its no longer cold. The texture changes a lot and its not that tasty to be honest.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 4:27 pm
Bananas, dates, raisins, apples, oranges, clementines, grapes,
Peppers, tomato's, kirbies, celery, carrots, string beans,
Avocado,

Teomima

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 4:28 pm
Don't underestimate the value of fresh produce. Doesn't need refrigeration, delicious and nutritious.

Can she have something like Sunbutter? It could be great to dip carrot sticks in or to spread on crackers.

Canned goods like beans, pickles, olives...I don't know what's available where you are, here in Israel there's a large selection of canned stuffed grape leaves, eggplant, zucchini, etc. You can even get canned chollent! But I don't know where you are/what you have.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 4:50 pm
Thanks for all the ideas!

The bathtub idea is hilarious! Unfortunately no bathtub either.

As for as what we can't do (I Heart allergies):
- Fish (no canned tuna)
- Nuts (peanut butter and tree nuts are out)
- Chickpeas / Beans
- Sesame
- Tropical fruits (so a lot of canned fruit and fruit cups won't work)
And she won't eat bread or cooked rice because she is picky that way Confused

Good to know what can stay in a cooler with ice packs - I wasn't sure what would spoil, we will have one.

How could I forget pasta? And crackers and applesauce are good suggestions! I think I just went into panic mode and all I could think of was cut up veggies, apples, and rice cakes. I was mostly worried about protein. Beef sticks / salami is a good idea, as are cheese sticks and yogurt. Hard boiled eggs too, though I'm a little nervous about whether they'll stay good.

She really likes cereal, so that's a plus, though I'm not sure whether she'll be willing to have milk that isn't regular milk. I don't think she'll be upset not having meat, though hard to say. She's pretty used to not eating what everyone else is eating (though I hate seeing her sad at these kinds of things. Thank G-d no airborne allergies). I feel like some of her meals will be an assortment of snacks made into a meal, it's not so bad to have a bad nutritional weekend, I just want to make sure she won't feel hungry. Maybe I'll bring along some junk food just to keep her happy as a backup. . .

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas!

The bathtub idea is hilarious! Unfortunately no bathtub either.

As for as what we can't do (I Heart allergies):
- Fish (no canned tuna)
- Nuts (peanut butter and tree nuts are out)
- Chickpeas / Beans
- Sesame
- Tropical fruits (so a lot of canned fruit and fruit cups won't work)
And she won't eat bread or cooked rice because she is picky that way Confused

Good to know what can stay in a cooler with ice packs - I wasn't sure what would spoil, we will have one.

How could I forget pasta? And crackers and applesauce are good suggestions! I think I just went into panic mode and all I could think of was cut up veggies, apples, and rice cakes. I was mostly worried about protein. Beef sticks / salami is a good idea, as are cheese sticks and yogurt. Hard boiled eggs too, though I'm a little nervous about whether they'll stay good.

She really likes cereal, so that's a plus, though I'm not sure whether she'll be willing to have milk that isn't regular milk. I don't think she'll be upset not having meat, though hard to say. She's pretty used to not eating what everyone else is eating (though I hate seeing her sad at these kinds of things. Thank G-d no airborne allergies). I feel like some of her meals will be an assortment of snacks made into a meal, it's not so bad to have a bad nutritional weekend, I just want to make sure she won't feel hungry. Maybe I'll bring along some junk food just to keep her happy as a backup. . .

Freeze regular milk until it's solid and put it on ice too. It will still be fresh shabbos morning.
Once the ice packs melt, they will still stay cold in the cooler for another half day.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 5:08 pm
Special junk is a requirement.Since we are talking anaphylaxis, you know those pareve desserts often have nuts sprinkled on them (or worse, in them). Assume there will never be any packaging for you to read.

A fun,special dessert when she can't have whatever dessert they are serving is a must, assuming we are talking about a young or fairly young child.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 5:19 pm
I have a cooler on wheels. I insert a bunch of ice packs and the food stays cold overnight, often longer.

SpottedBanana

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 6:03 pm
Also want to add that I don't know where you are, but I've seen pareve "cheesecake" in Israel made from fish gelatin! Ugh!

Will she eat quinoa with plenty of craisins, cinnamon, honey and a bit of olive oil?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics