Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Wealthy couple coming to my dump of a house for shabbos

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:17 pm
I'm so stressed out. a wealthy couple will be staying in my humble abode for shabbos with their kids. I've been cleaning and cooking but I'm so nervous. any words of advice?

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:22 pm
There's nothing more beautiful than a happy generous hostess!

Smile! You have guest for Shabbos! They will be so grateful to you for opening your home to them! Be proud. Hashem surely is!

You think rich people are different people than you? They are all equal in the eyes of Hashem.

Don't stress it!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:22 pm
Honestly, I'm impressed that you agreed to have them. I wouldn't. Kol hakavod

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so stressed out. a wealthy couple will be staying in my humble abode for shabbos with their kids. I've been cleaning and cooking but I'm so nervous. any words of advice?
Pat yourself on the back and know they wouldn't be staying by you if they didn't feel comfortable in a more humble abode .

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:36 pm
thank you, all for your helpful and encouraging responses.

HappyGoLucky1

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 7:41 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Honestly, I'm impressed that you agreed to have them. I wouldn't. Kol hakavod

Agree!
Good luck OP! like my mother always says "I am who I am!" I'm sure it will be a beautiful shabbos. We tend to be the only ones who notice our "dump"
A bayis neeman! That's all that counts!

saralem

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:37 pm
I also was always self conscious about our very humble home. Old furniture, mismatched chairs, cramped space. Yet I’ve been told so many times that my home is comfy and warm, and people were so happy to be our guests. So- be proud and realize that some rich folks are just looking for a nonjudgmental, welcoming home. Hope you enjoy your guests!

enneamom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 8:49 pm
The beauty of your home lies in its warm, comfortable atmosphere, loving family, and the happiness and contentment found within.
It might even be a refreshing change for them. They probably have little interest in yet another overdone mansion.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:05 pm
thanks, all, for making me realize that they'll be coming for the real thing...a welcoming, nonjudgmental environment not a museum-like atmosphere.

Optione

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 10:06 pm
I find it uncomfortable when people apologize for their house looking the way it does, is too small, etc. I work on myself to avoid that.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 15 2018, 11:22 pm
Not like I am rich or anything but some of my best shabbosim were spent at "heimishe" simple homes.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 8:39 am
It’s not mismatched furniture, it’s eclectic!

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 8:46 am
They are coming to see you, not a beautiful home. They probably have one of those at their disposal all the time. They don't have you and your childrens' company and smiles. Enjoy!

Boca00

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 9:07 am
Optione wrote:
I find it uncomfortable when people apologize for their house looking the way it does, is too small, etc. I work on myself to avoid that.

Yes, no apologetics! Don't apologize about your house, your clothes, the fanciness of the food, etc.

I was just by someone on a Friday and she started apologizing and explaining she was wearing her "cooking clothes". She looked totally fine, and I could care less about what other people wear anyway.

You just come across as very self conscious when you do that. Confidence is much more attractive. You wore it, this is your house, this is what you cooked- OWN IT.

Disclaimer: I am all for apologies when you actually do something wrong. But you are not doing anything wrong here!

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 12:23 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
They are coming to see you, not a beautiful home. They probably have one of those at their disposal all the time. They don't have you and your childrens' company and smiles. Enjoy!

I agree with this 100%!

There is home, and there is out. They are not judging your house because it is not important. The people are.

The only time I will be upset with accommodations are if it is filthy. I stay at a super rich person's home, and the bed linen was not changed. I found a dirty nightgown under the pillow with food crumbs in the bed.

happyone

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 1:02 pm
When I'm a guest I notice the graciousness, hospitality and
warmth of my hostess. The house and food is so not important. I try to be that same hostess weather a simple guest or multi millionaire guest is visiting . Guests feel your anxiety and pressure. Just be YOU.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 1:18 pm
Clean is more important than fancy. I’ve been to brand new houses that were gross ..

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Feb 16 2018, 1:31 pm
I’ve stayed at simpler houses many times when I was single and grew up in a big fancy house. All I noticed was if the hostess was calm and relaxed and happy. Really. That’s all that matters. Be pleasant.
- Also if there’s no shampoo or soap or tissues in the bathroom, or if the garbage in room or bathroom is overflowing. Otherwise, that’s it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics