Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
YouTube channel

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 11:00 am
I stumbled across one of my students YouTube channel. I teac in a right wing ultra orthodox school.
I am just trying to understand it. for our school standards it is unacceptable to be on the internet , but I was thinking that even in a more liberal minded school, they would also discourage and frown upon the idea of students having their own YouTube channel and VLOGGING their life for all to see. This is a bright student that doesn’t perform well academically. Shouldn’t she have higher aspirations ? this is middle school .

what are your thoughts

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 20 2018, 12:29 pm
Please don't do anything drastic until you've thought it through! Maybe YouTube is this child's outlet. So many children don't fit into the rigid boxes schools ask for. Don't cut a kid to fit, or you might cut them out. Accidemics shouldn't play into it.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 21 2018, 12:48 am
Is it acceptable for teachers at a school where it's unacceptable for students to be on the internet to be on the internet themselves?

Also, since we haven't, and I don't think we ought to, see the student's videos, it's hard to tell what you mean by "Shouldn’t she have higher aspirations?" Most vloggers don't go anywhere with it, but some turn it into careers. Probably not by making money from YouTube views, very few people do that (the people who make YouTube videos professionally sometimes talk about how the payments are too small to fund production and the channels that are more than someone sitting/walking in front of a camera talking often either solicit donations, have their own sponsors, or ask for donations to fund more videos), but some go on to work in media in other areas. I recently watched the first episode of a science TV program and was delighted to see that someone I first saw making science videos on YouTube was working on the show. OK, there's probably more thought going into a science video than someone vlogging about their day, but the science vlogger has a doctorate in science education, maybe he made childish videos in middle school too.

Hobbies are nice to have, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics