Home

S/o"frummer"-an acceptance exercise-what does YOUR Rav hold?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


salamanca




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:24 am
Didn't read all the posts, so maybe this was already answered: for those who don't have to fast for 2 years pp, what fasts are we talking about?
BTW - I never heard of such a thing
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:38 am
salamanca wrote:
Didn't read all the posts, so maybe this was already answered: for those who don't have to fast for 2 years pp, what fasts are we talking about?
BTW - I never heard of such a thing

It means the minor fasts. Everything except YK and Tisha B'Av.
Back to top

amother




Wine
 

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:16 am
It is actually a little depressing reading some of these posts about TH, because my child bearing years would have been so much less stressful had my rav held many of the things others ravs apparently do.
Back to top

silbergirl




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:53 am
Thanks for that thread!
Back to top

Cheiny




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:59 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Quote:
let us practice the art of being accepting and understanding of our differences, and learn to acknowledge that they ARE ALL CORRECT so long as they were directed by ones Rav.


I appreciate your post, but just want to point out that not everyone here holds that all the things you posted require approval from a rav.


Yup, some don’t hold from asking a rav anything that they don’t want to hear “no” about....
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 3:08 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Yup, some don’t hold from asking a rav anything that they don’t want to hear “no” about....


Ah, its ok, the truth is I really do ask my Rav a whole lot more than most people likely do. I think she just meant that a lot of the things I mentioned, most people wouldnt even think to run through a Rav, because they know the halacha as pretty obvious and straightforward.
Which is totally cool.
The only reason I run so many things through my Rav is because ive learned that I can pretty much be surprised about anything. And I can also get a little OCD about halacha...so it helps me to clarify. Mind you, sometimes im pleasantly surprised, and other times, when hes more machmir, just not.
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:26 pm
Bumping this up because, again, I think it may help some people to read it
Back to top

flowers12345




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 7:38 am
This is a fabulous thread! I'm enjoying reading through it, hope we can get it started again Smile
Back to top

amother




Apricot
 

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 7:23 pm
My Rav paskened that I can use a HT from Mon night even though Tue's bedika was completely bloody - I have an ectropian (cervical cells that bleed from light touch), and even though I was staining from Letrozole, it can be blamed on the ectropian because I did get the original HT.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 5:42 am
I'm going to say something that I don't think is controversial but I might be wrong.
Sometimes people need to ask a shaila but they have no idea that they can ask. Sharing information can be invaluable for the person reading it.
But if anyone gets a psak and is told not to publicize it (I have no idea if that's anyone on this thread) guess what: even if you don't use names or any identifying details, you've just publicized it. If your rav says don't publicize it ask him, does that mean just using your name, or sharing this information with anyone?
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 6:31 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm going to say something that I don't think is controversial but I might be wrong.
Sometimes people need to ask a shaila but they have no idea that they can ask. Sharing information can be invaluable for the person reading it.
But if anyone gets a psak and is told not to publicize it (I have no idea if that's anyone on this thread) guess what: even if you don't use names or any identifying details, you've just publicized it. If your rav says don't publicize it ask him, does that mean just using your name, or sharing this information with anyone?


I totally agree with not publicizing. If someone here says "I have a question", and the answer could go either way, the only correct answer is "ask your rabbi". Things are always more complicated than they appear online, and there will always be things that come up in a personal meeting that don't get mentioned in text.

When you say "I know a rabbi who said such n' such..." you just put an idea of an expectation in someone's head, and it might be completely inappropriate for that person's situation. It might not even affect the OP, but someone who hasn't been writing on this thread, but just reading it. When you put things out there, you have to take some responsibility, and we don't have the shoulders to carry that. Let the rabbis handle the heavy lifting.

I do believe in thinking for yourself, but I'm also honest enough to admit that I don't have the learning and experience to give things over to other people.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 4:01 am
Bumping this up as it relates to the "stop questioning people's frumkeit" thread
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 5:26 pm
Some recent threads got me thinking of this.
Bumping it up as I think some people can benefit from it
Back to top

gold2




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 5:04 am
Seas wrote:
I won't comment on the other stuff that you wrote, but these two are almost certainly a mistake (namely you're mistaken about the psak).

We don't normally kasher utensils or ovens from milchig to fleishig, only from milchig and fleishig to parev. There are circumstances when it's allowed, but normally it's not.

Petting or touching an animal isn't a problem of muktzah, only lifting or moving it. One may even walk a dog on Shabbos with a lead (in the street with no eruv), as long as it's held fairly taut, not too close to the ground, and there isn't a tefach sticking out of the hand in the other direction (past the hand, not between the hand and the dog).

If anything your post highlights the need to check halacha with a rav, rather than relying on hearsay on the internet.


We also asked and were told that you can kasher an oven in this way. It's not the best due to the fact that you might forget what status it is but halachically it's 100% allowed. Ovens don't produce steam so we can be more maikil. But ask your own shaila as different people might hold differently.

When it comes to utensils, it's more complicated. Sorry can't elaborate more as don't know the halachos offhand 100% but just know you can't kasher back and forth. Depends also if it's for pesach, year, milky to parev or to meaty etc...
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Recent Topics

Page 10 of 10 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Do frum ppl not value having a "cute" home?
by amother
54 Yesterday at 11:34 pm View last post
Please recommend "frum" novels (based on the following books 23 Fri, Mar 05 2021, 2:29 pm View last post
Does a Rav/Dayan have to be from your shul? 15 Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:28 am View last post
Rav who will speak to a woman
by amother
10 Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:24 am View last post
[ Poll ] Who "anecdotally" agrees? (Homebirth mentioned)
by amother
8 Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:28 am View last post