Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o"frummer"-an acceptance exercise-what does YOUR Rav hold?
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

salamanca

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:24 pm
Didn't read all the posts, so maybe this was already answered: for those who don't have to fast for 2 years pp, what fasts are we talking about?
BTW - I never heard of such a thing

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:38 pm
salamanca wrote:
Didn't read all the posts, so maybe this was already answered: for those who don't have to fast for 2 years pp, what fasts are we talking about?
BTW - I never heard of such a thing

It means the minor fasts. Everything except YK and Tisha B'Av.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 2:16 pm
It is actually a little depressing reading some of these posts about TH, because my child bearing years would have been so much less stressful had my rav held many of the things others ravs apparently do.

silbergirl

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 2:53 pm
Thanks for that thread!

Cheiny

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:59 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Quote:
let us practice the art of being accepting and understanding of our differences, and learn to acknowledge that they ARE ALL CORRECT so long as they were directed by ones Rav.

I appreciate your post, but just want to point out that not everyone here holds that all the things you posted require approval from a rav.

Yup, some don’t hold from asking a rav anything that they don’t want to hear “no” about....

little neshamala

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 6:08 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Yup, some don’t hold from asking a rav anything that they don’t want to hear “no” about....

Ah, its ok, the truth is I really do ask my Rav a whole lot more than most people likely do. I think she just meant that a lot of the things I mentioned, most people wouldnt even think to run through a Rav, because they know the halacha as pretty obvious and straightforward.
Which is totally cool.
The only reason I run so many things through my Rav is because ive learned that I can pretty much be surprised about anything. And I can also get a little OCD about halacha...so it helps me to clarify. Mind you, sometimes im pleasantly surprised, and other times, when hes more machmir, just not.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 8:26 pm
Bumping this up because, again, I think it may help some people to read it

flowers12345

Post Wed, Jan 29 2020, 10:38 am
This is a fabulous thread! I'm enjoying reading through it, hope we can get it started again Smile

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Feb 01 2020, 10:23 pm
My Rav paskened that I can use a HT from Mon night even though Tue's bedika was completely bloody - I have an ectropian (cervical cells that bleed from light touch), and even though I was staining from Letrozole, it can be blamed on the ectropian because I did get the original HT.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 8:42 am
I'm going to say something that I don't think is controversial but I might be wrong.
Sometimes people need to ask a shaila but they have no idea that they can ask. Sharing information can be invaluable for the person reading it.
But if anyone gets a psak and is told not to publicize it (I have no idea if that's anyone on this thread) guess what: even if you don't use names or any identifying details, you've just publicized it. If your rav says don't publicize it ask him, does that mean just using your name, or sharing this information with anyone?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 02 2020, 9:31 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm going to say something that I don't think is controversial but I might be wrong.
Sometimes people need to ask a shaila but they have no idea that they can ask. Sharing information can be invaluable for the person reading it.
But if anyone gets a psak and is told not to publicize it (I have no idea if that's anyone on this thread) guess what: even if you don't use names or any identifying details, you've just publicized it. If your rav says don't publicize it ask him, does that mean just using your name, or sharing this information with anyone?

I totally agree with not publicizing. If someone here says "I have a question", and the answer could go either way, the only correct answer is "ask your rabbi". Things are always more complicated than they appear online, and there will always be things that come up in a personal meeting that don't get mentioned in text.

When you say "I know a rabbi who said such n' such..." you just put an idea of an expectation in someone's head, and it might be completely inappropriate for that person's situation. It might not even affect the OP, but someone who hasn't been writing on this thread, but just reading it. When you put things out there, you have to take some responsibility, and we don't have the shoulders to carry that. Let the rabbis handle the heavy lifting.

I do believe in thinking for yourself, but I'm also honest enough to admit that I don't have the learning and experience to give things over to other people.

essie14

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 7:01 am
Bumping this up as it relates to the "stop questioning people's frumkeit" thread

little neshamala

Post Wed, Dec 16 2020, 8:26 pm
Some recent threads got me thinking of this.
Bumping it up as I think some people can benefit from it

gold2

Post Thu, Dec 17 2020, 8:04 am
Seas wrote:
I won't comment on the other stuff that you wrote, but these two are almost certainly a mistake (namely you're mistaken about the psak).

We don't normally kasher utensils or ovens from milchig to fleishig, only from milchig and fleishig to parev. There are circumstances when it's allowed, but normally it's not.

Petting or touching an animal isn't a problem of muktzah, only lifting or moving it. One may even walk a dog on Shabbos with a lead (in the street with no eruv), as long as it's held fairly taut, not too close to the ground, and there isn't a tefach sticking out of the hand in the other direction (past the hand, not between the hand and the dog).

If anything your post highlights the need to check halacha with a rav, rather than relying on hearsay on the internet.

We also asked and were told that you can kasher an oven in this way. It's not the best due to the fact that you might forget what status it is but halachically it's 100% allowed. Ovens don't produce steam so we can be more maikil. But ask your own shaila as different people might hold differently.

When it comes to utensils, it's more complicated. Sorry can't elaborate more as don't know the halachos offhand 100% but just know you can't kasher back and forth. Depends also if it's for pesach, year, milky to parev or to meaty etc...

little neshamala

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:53 pm
Bumping up this thread because I think some people here should read it...

imacoolmom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:30 pm
1. Due to my mental health struggles, I don’t have to fast the minor fasts or tisha baav
2. Lace top wigs are completely allowed as it is not my hair, no matter how real it looks. ( I know I’m stirring the pot hehe.)
3. Everything in the bedroom is allowed no matter what.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:01 pm
imacoolmom wrote:
1. Due to my mental health struggles, I don’t have to fast the minor fasts or tisha baav
2. Lace top wigs are completely allowed as it is not my hair, no matter how real it looks. ( I know I’m stirring the pot hehe.)
3. Everything in the bedroom is allowed no matter what.

Thank you for sharing.
Youre not stirring the pot-this thread has no pot. It's all about respectfully hearing different psaks from our Rabannim, and reminding ourselves that there is no "one way" with the Torah and how our Rabanim paskin.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:09 pm
Related to this time of year, we asked our Rav about giving chanukah presents (as opposed to the traditional Jewish "gelt"), and he said it is totally fine, and there is no Chukas Hagoyim issue.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:13 pm
Also, new thing I learned- our Rav holds that when nida our beds need to be at least 12 inches apart. Which is a bit frustrating because I was hoping he holds like some other Rabannim, that they can be a much shorter distance apart. Frustrating specifically because I was trying to figure out bedroom furniture arrangements and my favorite plan relied on the beds staying pretty close together.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Jan 23 2023, 1:59 pm
Bumping this thread up because there is someone on this site today who really really could use it
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics