Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do I become a videographer

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 10:41 pm
I have an interest in starting to work as a videographer.

My job right now is boring and it's not worth the pay (or lack there of!)

I have a creative mind, love taking videos and I think it would be a great field for me.

How do I get started? I have no equpiment, no professional expereince... how do I start? how do I know what eqipment I need? Where do I learn techinques (aside from youtube!) that will turn my video-taking from amuter to professional?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 11:39 pm
CreativeLive.com has many classes about this. THe live classes are free, otherwise you can buy them. I've bought many great classes from them. Read the reviews. Some are long winded and boring.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 5:20 pm
thank you! I will definitely look into that

any other suggestions? advice?

would you be ok hiring someone who has a creative eye, and a dslr/ professional camera, but a beginner (not yet professional.. but learning)- under what conditions?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 5:35 pm
Op, what do you want to video? Simchas? Interviews? Something else?

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 6:38 pm
amother wrote:
thank you! I will definitely look into that

any other suggestions? advice?

would you be ok hiring someone who has a creative eye, and a dslr/ professional camera, but a beginner (not yet professional.. but learning)- under what conditions?

People would hire an unprofessional and inexperienced videographer if the service is free.

Be sure to put a lot of love and work into those first few free jobs and give those clients a wonderful experience.

Create highlights of the events you film and post them on an Instagram page. You can use Instagram as a free, public portfolio as well as a medium to connect to all kinds of other businesses and potential clients.

Make your own short films to post to your page. Making a signature style will have you stand out.

Keep learning- watch tutorials and follow other videographers.

Good luck!

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 8:22 pm
thank you tigerwife for all the advice!

I've been wanting to start an instagram page. but isn't there a limit to the length of a video you can post?

I don't think I want to be the main videographer at simchas. I was thinking more interviews, footage needed for a video etc..

I'm loving the advice, please share any you may have!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 25 2018, 9:43 pm
As in many creative arenas, you have to do the grunt work (often for free) to start getting paid gigs.

In this case, perhaps start by interning for a seasoned videographer.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 9:01 am
are there any photographers/videographers here that could suggest a good dslr for good videos that is somewhat affordable (but at the same time, be an excelent camera so I'm not wasting my money on junk) and a few basic peices of equiptment (links would be great!) that I would need to get started on the professional route?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 2:39 pm
bump.. anyone?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 5:37 pm
amother wrote:
are there any photographers/videographers here that could suggest a good dslr for good videos that is somewhat affordable (but at the same time, be an excelent camera so I'm not wasting my money on junk) and a few basic peices of equiptment (links would be great!) that I would need to get started on the professional route?

Canon has the rebel series, which is good to start with but you will grow out of it eventually, some do sooner and some later. The full frame camera bodies are the 6D and 5D series. Most people are very happy with the 6D (first version, don't bother looking into the Mark II). You need a good zoom lens to it. You cant go cheap on that. The 24-105 f4L might be perfect for this, depending on your lighting situation.
Then you need lighting - I don't know what you're supposed to use for video, I do photography.
Go on creative live and YouTube and watch a million videos, then decide what gear to invest in.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 8:26 pm
wow, thank you for the advice. I really do appreciate it.

anyone else with advice to add?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:21 pm
I want to create a music video but don’t have the money for it so maybe you can be my free videographer? Wink

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Mar 06 2018, 11:58 pm
where are you located?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:

Not a camera professional but I own a DSLR and I don't have any recommendations for a particular model, just want to point out that the ones I've used have had limits on video length which a video camera wouldn't have so that might be something you would want to consider. Mine comes to a stop after half an hour. I do sometimes want to take a video longer than the camera will take and sometimes wind up missing a few bits of what I'm filming while I stop and restart it (or it hits half an hour without my noticing). There's also a slight glitch at about 18 minutes because if a video file grows beyond 4GB my camera splits it into two pieces.

Good enough for what I'm doing, but if I did this professionally I would want something that could take longer videos without interruptions and would probably carry both a DSLR for stills and a video camera for video. And hire an assistant to carry all my spare batteries.

crust

Post Wed, Mar 07 2018, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
wow, thank you for the advice. I really do appreciate it.

anyone else with advice to add?

Do you have to make money right away? I hope not because the first year or two of any business is usually not profitable.

My advice to you is;

A. GET A MENTOR!
Great mentors are not cheap but it will save you a lot of money down the line.

B. Invest all the money that you do earn towards your education and necassary gear.

As for gear....
It takes a lot of time to learn your device.
I know many people owning DSLRs and have no clue how to make much use it of it.

People going into the proffessional line very often do the same mistake.
In the rush to seem like a pro, they very often end up purchasing gear that is either overly expensive and unnecessary or, they dont even know how to use it yet so they dont get any benefit of the features they are paying for.

Keep it simple at first. Learn the trade before investing in anything expensive.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 08 2018, 12:33 pm
crust- are you in the videography buisness?

thanks for all the advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics