Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you tip morahs/rebbes on Purim?
1  2  Next

imabima

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 7:04 am
What if you tipped them Chanukah time?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 7:16 am
No, I wish I could, but this is a relatively “new” expense (ie my parents didn’t do it when I was a kid) and it’s not a halachic obligation.

Now that I know it’s a “thing”, I may write thank you notes to all the teachers so that I don’t come across as rude, but that’s it. Thanks, people, for adding another socially mandated Purim expense.

(I pay full tuition, I make very simple Mishloach manos, I give matanos la’evyonim, I participated in the PTA-organized monetary gift to teachers at Chanukah. Isn’t that enough?!?!)

mommyhood

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 9:18 am
Yes I do but the Chanukah tips are through the school so Purim is the only time it's personalized.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 10:04 am
I give a tip to all my kids main morahs/rebbe. I also tip Chanukah. Dh is a rebbe and I enjoy getting the tips myself so I give to others as well.

subee

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 10:17 am
I tip Rebbe on Purim, not Morahs. I tip Rebbe on Chanukah too, and Morahs through school collection. If I had more money I would tip Morahs more, which is what I did when I had fewer kids. I don't tip therapists at all anymore. Too many of them and they make good money. I'm a therapist btw and never get tipped, work in a setting where this is typical. Is tipping Morahs for Purim a new thing? This year is the first I've heard of it.

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 12:27 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
No, I wish I could, but this is a relatively “new” expense (ie my parents didn’t do it when I was a kid) and it’s not a halachic obligation.

Now that I know it’s a “thing”, I may write thank you notes to all the teachers so that I don’t come across as rude, but that’s it. Thanks, people, for adding another socially mandated Purim expense.

(I pay full tuition, I make very simple Mishloach manos, I give matanos la’evyonim, I participated in the PTA-organized monetary gift to teachers at Chanukah. Isn’t that enough?!?!)

Parents used to give Rosh Chodesh money to the Rebbes. Some still do.

I tip through the school for Purim, and I give extra to a couple of educators who have gone above and beyond. For example: there is one Rebbe that learns with DS one on one. This is my time to say thank you.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 2:02 pm
My sons yeshiva had a collection for thr morahs but sent out an email that it is appropriate to individually show your rebbis appreciation. Ie. Tip them

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 3:39 pm
As a rebbe morah family it is definitely the norm though not all do. Please don't buy cheap gifts instead. $10 is more appreciated

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 9:18 am
I never tip, I never get tipped, etc

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 9:37 am
Yes. Also the bus drivers, therapist...

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:36 am
Yup, going now to rob a bank!

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:09 pm
I tip the Rebbes and I have a few,its worth doing it they deserve it, even its not easy at all

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:14 pm
We have lots of rebbes and yes on Purim we give Purim gelt to them. This year we were unable to do Chanuka so I'm giving more than I usually give. Also, DH is giving double to one Rebbe who brought out a huge change in my child for the better and he is feeling extra appreciative. I write a very nice letter individually for each and they appreciate that more than anything. I don't give them shalach manos. I used to spend over $25 on each shalach manos between the wine and what not. I decided to rather add that to the amount I was giving them . I just figured they'd want that more.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:17 pm
those of you who tip how much is full tuition. I wonder if it's more common in schools were tuition is less and therefore teachers are getting paid less?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 3:26 am
No. They get the same MM everyone gets.
It is bribery to do more. If you want to show appreciation do it in June. Otherwise you are expecting something back and for better treatment for your kid etc.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 6:55 am
I don't have a choice, ds has severe ADHD and gives his rebbe a lot more extra difficult time. He spends so much time in general with my son. How could I not give him money to show appreciation? I must. He understands my ds so well and spends extra time working with him.

I feel it's an obligation that a rebbe gives so much of himself, it's pure hakaras hatov. Bless his soul he saved my ds. My ds himself says how much he helped him. So this case I should different

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 6:57 am
I don't have a choice, ds as severe ADHD and gives his rebbe a lot more extra difficult time. He spends so much time in general with my son. How could I not give him money to show appreciation? I must. He understands my ds so well and spends extra time working with him.

I feel it's an obligation that a rebbe gives so much of himself, it's pure hakaras hatov. Bless his soul he saved my ds. My ds himself says how much he helped him. So this case I should different

DREAMING

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:44 am
Yes I do tip.

polka dots

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:48 am
I might pay a lot of tution but my sons morah actually gets paid very little. Besides I tip on purim because I appreciate her care and devotion besides for the hours that she clocks in. I don't think that the idea of purim and mishloach manis is to tip teachers, but it is something that at one point in the year I would like to do so I chose purim as a good opportunity.

That being said I am also a teacher. I get a very different range of things. From nothing to a box of chocolate to a generous tip. I always enjoy a nice note. It is always nice to feel remembered and appreciated in whichever way it comes.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:07 am
I don't think if you pay an exorbitant amount of tuition that you are obligated to give on Purim extra.
I'm a teacher too and appreciate the tips, but it's not a caveat in the way I treat students. I have found in my years of experience that most of the truly difficult students come from families who can't afford to tip. Oftentimes, for the various reasons, family doesn't even know how much more difficult this particular student is than others. In those situations, I learned to feel Hashem's presence more strongly which helps me to deal with the student. I ALWAYS keep in mind that Hashem will pay me back many times over of what any parent can.
It's not fair to the child that their parents can't afford to tip. If you can't tip, please don't. Another loaf of bread on your table or another month of rent paid is soooo much more important. Know your budget and your priorities and go by that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics