Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How early is not rude for delivering mishloach manot?
1  2  Next

how early can we deliver mishloach manot without being rude?
7 am  
 2%  [ 2 ]
7:30 am  
 0%  [ 0 ]
8 am  
 5%  [ 5 ]
8:30 am  
 12%  [ 12 ]
9 am  
 80%  [ 77 ]
Total Votes : 96

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:24 pm
How early can we show up to deliver mishloach manot and not be rude?
We usually go to earliest minyan and megilla reading, so sometimes we're done very early. Later on streets get congested, so may not make it to everyone plus it's annoying to drive. Or, is it nice to leave a mishloach manot by the door if it's really early without ringing bell?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:30 pm
I don't let my kids go before 11 am.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:35 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I don't let my kids go before 11 am.

Interesting. We start deliveries at around 9 and are finished with the bulk of driving around by then.

simba

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:37 pm
10am earliest. Gives people a chance to hear megilla and get into costumes. I wouldn't want anyone showing up at my home before then.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:45 pm
I wouldn't ring on anyone's doorbell before 9:30

Another idea is to leave it at the door. Quick and painless

lfab

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:50 pm
I think that by 9 is fine. I would knock on the door, if no one answered I'd just leave by the front door. I wouldn't knock or ring bell multiple times. If they weren't able to answer the door they can just ignore. Then again, I have little kids and everyone is up early anyway so maybe my perception is skewed.

clowny

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 3:13 pm
Not before 11:00. Most people where I live don’t start to deliver before 11:00. If they do, they don’t ring the bell. They just leave it at the door.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 3:16 pm
My neighborhood is 10:30 - 11:00.

Earlier and people are dressing kids, feeding kids, hearing the Megillah and all around Purim mayhem.. I guess it's what your neighborhood does...

alis_al_kulana

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 6:29 pm
I'm the odd one out. We always get a few early and I love it. I dtop off by doors on way to megila. They can always return later in the day.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 6:42 pm
10am is the earliest but some people might be out at megilla.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 6:58 pm
I must be the only one who works on Purim, and my kids aren't dragging things around all of creation without a car. We drop things on doorsteps before 8 am.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 7:01 pm
10:30-11 is the norm in my neighborhood. But the litvish shul at my corner daven very early so the litvish neighbors sometimes leave at the door early.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 7:11 pm
Every year I go to the earliest Megillah, dh goes to the next one, and do shalach manos rounds to driving-distance (more than a block or two) family and friends before traffic starts. We come home, wash for an early lunch, he drinks a tiny bit, he naps, and I take kids to give to the neighbors on the block. We come back in time to go to family seuda together.

I'd rather leave shalach manos on my brother's/grandparents/best friend's doorstep, than not bring him at all. I don't ring the bell, I text them instead.

This year is different. I'm only giving one shalach manos. I'm spending the day in the hospital with my daughter, god willing.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
Every year I go to the earliest Megillah, dh goes to the next one, and do shalach manos rounds to driving-distance (more than a block or two) family and friends before traffic starts. We come home, wash for an early lunch, he drinks a tiny bit, he naps, and I take kids to give to the neighbors on the block. We come back in time to go to family seuda together.

I'd rather leave shalach manos on my brother's/grandparents/best friend's doorstep, than not bring him at all. I don't ring the bell, I text them instead.

This year is different. I'm only giving one shalach manos. I'm spending the day in the hospital with my daughter, god willing.

Refuah shleima. May hashem grant her a complete and speedy recovery.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 8:57 pm
I drop off early and leave it on the doorstep.

octopus

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 9:30 pm
not before 10.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 9:38 pm
10:00 is the earliest. Keep in mind that there are people that have parties the night before that go into the wee hours of the morning. We usually daven vasikin and hear megilla early. My DH takes my sons to yeshiva Mordechai hatzadik to learn. They get home about 10:45 and by then most people are up and about.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 9:55 pm
I think there’s a different answer for chasidish vs. litvish. Chasidish is much later in the morning, I have a feeling those who said 10-11 are In that category. Litvish tends to be earlier , we always give starting after 9.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 11:18 pm
I have the opposite question. How late is too late to blast your music on purim?
I say after 1030. My neighbors party until 200 am with the music blasting and my house vibrating.

Banging head

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 1:18 am
If you want to leave it on my doorstep then I don't care what time you leave it as long as you know that the stray dogs and cats may likely get to it before I do.
But if anyone would ring my doorbell before 9 am on Purim I wouldn't open the door.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette