Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
1st time staying at a hotel on shabbat. how to handle?

nachlaot

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 10:05 am
hi, we're BTs and this will be our first time staying at a hotel on shabbat. we'll be in 'middle america' at a basic american chain hotel (hilton/hyatt/marriott), and I find it highly unlikely that they've ever dealt with shabbat-observant guests on shabbat. (but you never know.) we arrive thursday night. we have no idea how to tell them about "shabbat," key cards, etc.

please provide any tips for how to explain "shabbat" to the hotel and have them accommodate us. should we wait until we arrive, or try to email or call the manager today? thanks so much.

(also, my parents will be staying at the same hotel. I assume there's nothing they could to do assist us on shabbat, or are there any leniencies that might apply. let me know if it's worth asking a rav.)

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 5:04 pm
Asking your Jewish family members to do melacha for you is assur.

I think you should speak to your LOR abt what to be cognizant of. Maybe speaking to hotel manager would be recommended. I don't know

Things to maybe think of besides keys (off the top of my head):

If it's a fancy hotel- I'd want to know if you'll have lights turning on automatically, doors opening automatically, toilets flushing automatically, etc.
That's why speaking to a Rav and manager in advance may be helpful.

I'm sure other ladies on this site can think of more issues/non-issues.

Hatzlacha!

chaya35

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 5:18 pm
We always take along tape and tape down the side of the door so it doesn't lock. If there is a refridge make sure to unscrew the bulb.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 6:27 pm
Watch out for automatic doors, and automatic flushing toilets and sinks in the lobby and other public areas. Make sure the heating / cooling system is not on a sensor. Tape down the side of the door well, so that the door never actually clicks shut - this way you won’t be locked out. (Most hotels do NOT have manual keys. ) don’t tell hotel if you plan on lighting candles in your room. They probably won’t let. If you’re storing food in the hotels fridge in their kitchen (not in private room) make sure everything is sealed properly - especially meat.
I’m sure others can add to this list...

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 6:29 pm
Don't tape down your doors. It is unsafe.

animeme

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:35 pm
Put a Do Not Disturb sign out for the whole Shabbos, so housekeeping doesn't come in and undo any of your Shabbos arrangements. (Think about not letting your parents into your room on Shabbos if you can at all avoid it- if they turn a light on for you, you are stuck, and it's not so siimple to use the light. Though I imagine you've dealt with this issue before.)

Ask for a low floor, and explain how high you're willing to be.

Ask your Rav what to do about getting in and out of your room on Shabbos. Taping is common but complicated, plus in some hotels, opening the door shuts the climate control until it closes again. Continue asking the rav about what else you need to know, including what if anything you can ask hotel staff to do for you and issues of automation.

If you are having Friday night dinner outside the hotel, in a private dwelling or a hall, it may make more sense to light there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics