Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Giving $ to the kids who deliver MM
1  2  3  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:08 pm
I never understood this and have never done it, but it seems to have become the norm. Do you do it? How much do you give them?

happyone

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:15 pm
I give. I'm not even sure where it stems from, but my mother and grandparents did the same.
Young children $1.00
A bit older $5.00
Bochur 10.00

Close nephew or friends kids a bit more.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:17 pm
wow happyone-how much do you budget for giving out money to kids, seems like yet another expense...

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:24 pm
That really can come to a fortune, alright. Does everyone do this now?

happyone

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:24 pm
It's not like 400 kids are bringing mishloach manos...

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:27 pm
For some of us, an extra $50 is a big deal.

happyone

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:30 pm
When we were children my grandfather was a rav with some wealthy balabatim in his shul and acquainted with. Most delivered to them MM but my grandparents had us recycle those magnificent MM to people that helped out the shul, medical professionals and friends . I remember getting from some 100 dollars and many 50s. This goes back almost 30 years ago. I remember asking one if its for me to give for tzedaka and his response was it's an inyan to give to the delivery gal or boy. My grandparents said the same and encouraged us to put into savings . You can bet us grandchildren traveled to the city my grandparents lived in to "help" them out Purim. Those were the days ..Smile

keym

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:46 pm
When I was a kid, we would get something usually a quarter at most houses, occasionally a dollar.
I remember being quite disappointed when people started giving lollies instead. It was Purim- I didnt need more lollies.
But now I se that under 40s tend to give treats but the over 40s give my kids a half dollar or dollar.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:49 pm
I am "over 40," and I never heard of this until a few years ago. Then again, I grew up out of town so things might be different.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:54 pm
Haha I like how you broke it up under / over 40. I just thought it’s somehing old people did, like my grandparents age group.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:01 pm
Don't know the source but I think it's called "oislaiz gelt" as in redemption money.
My parents always give. No set amount though...

giselle

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:07 pm
More common in Brooklyn

cnc

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:14 pm
I give kids a dollar or two.

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
For some of us, an extra $50 is a big deal.

I'm with you. I didn't grow up with this and it can really add up. I hope this doesn't make a comeback. I had to stretch the budget to afford super simple MM this year and then, of course, ML.

That said, a freilichin Purim everyone!!!

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:35 pm
Wow!!!!
Rich times...

When I was a child in the 60s
It was
Heint iz peerim
Morgin iz nisht
Gebt mir a penny
Un varf mir arois

I got a bag of candy a dime or quarter usually

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:41 pm
I give $0.50 and/or a kiddie MM.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:48 pm
We give $1 for the delivering kid and $1 for them to give to tzedaka.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:48 pm
We give $1 for the delivering kid and $1 for them to give to tzedaka.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:33 pm
I am 37 and grew up getting Purim gelt whenever we delivered shalach manos. Some people gave a silver dollar, some a half dollar and some 50 cents or a quarter . We break up a $20.00 into singles , half dollars and quarters and distribute based on age appropriateness.
For relatives we hand out Purim gelt to every niece and nephew. Sometimes it's just a dollar to each. My kids used to get $20 per kid from one individual friend of my DH. They amassed a small fortune on Purim. Usually more in Purim than on Chanuka between all the relatives and people giving them a dollar here or there. This is definitely not a new thing. Kids having to give tons of friends shalach manos is a much newer phenomenon. At least in my circles.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:42 pm
Wow, I'm surprised at some of the numbers going out here. It was always the custom in my community growing up, and I always saw my mother giving to people who came to us. When I was a kid the standard was a quarter but luckily some exciting homes gave up to a dollar. Now my mother's giving dollars, and I don't have a set custom because we don't have that many people coming to us - my kids' friends mostly, and those just exchange MM. But anyway I never heard this business of giving more for older kids (do they need more entitlements or something? This is simchas yomtov, not a business.)

I'm thinking quarters because that's what I have. Little kids are excited just to get something, they don't register how much it's actually worth. Big kids, I dunno, grow up.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics